Thread: Quaife ATB for S14 - Thoughts Welcome

Rides

Quaife ATB for S14 - Thoughts Welcome

I'm about to push the button on a diff. Finally, after weeks of procrastinating.

New car is a mid power level primarily road car with occasional track days.

I was fixed on a 1.5 Way Nismo GT LSD Pro, then realised I'll never, ever adjust it (I know what I'm like) so dropped to the Nismo GT LSD.

But then I got thinking about the curveball, the Quaife ATB which is the helical fit and forget the offer. It will never lock obviously, but if you consider my general driving conditions, I can't help but think this is worth investigating.

So I wanted to ask if anyone has driven a RWD non TC car on a Quaife ATB and if they have, what did they think?

Thanks if you can help.

Rides
    For the money I would just go for the S15 helical

Rides
    I have one, you need s15 helical output shafts (which I have spare). Its basically an S15 helical diff but they made it a lot stronger and more reliable.
    Never driven it on track but driven it on the road in all weathers and can't think of a bad thing to say about it!
    Its nice a predictable, quiet and improved the grip no end compared to the vlsd.
    It cost me just over a grand but that was with Quaife fitting it for me.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Rides
    Thanks mate, Quaife fitted it, did they change the bearings as well?

How does it feel, can you feel it working? I heard from a Cerbera owner that he can really feel the power shifting on fast driving.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by piman2k View Post
    Thanks mate, Quaife fitted it, did they change the bearings as well?

How does it feel, can you feel it working? I heard from a Cerbera owner that he can really feel the power shifting on fast driving.
    Not sure but my diff was super low mileage anyway so probably didn't need it.
    Only way I can describe it is a slight wiggle as the power shifts from side to side under greasy conditions but its so minimal you can just keep it planted (depending on tires and alignment ofc).
    Quaife said that pretty much the only way to kill the diff is by running it with one wheel off the ground for a long time. Apart from that they just need an oil service as maintenance.

Rides
    Yeah them being maintenance free is a bonus but the reality is I’d never drive a clutch diff to the point of wearing out anyway.

I guess I will just have to take the plunge and make a call, it reads very well and I think it matches my driving style. But you said you need S15 shafts?

Rides
    Yeah them being maintenance free is a bonus but the reality is I’d never drive a clutch diff to the point of wearing out anyway.

I guess I will just have to take the plunge and make a call, it reads very well and I think it matches my driving style. But you said you need S15 shafts?
    The output shafts on an S15 helical diff are the same length both sides. Vlsd shafts are unequal length so they don't fit in the quaife one. I was gonna use the s15 output shafts on mine but I have a 29 spline diff and they are for a 30 spline diff. I think quaife cut my vlsd shafts down to fit but its less than ideal, didn't have any other options though

Rides
    Ahhh that all sounds like a pain the butt. You get shafts with the Nismo and new bearings so the lack of ball aching around is a bonus.

I can't remember which is which for spline types, both my diff cases are S14a though.

Rides
    Ahhh that all sounds like a pain the butt. You get shafts with the Nismo and new bearings so the lack of ball aching around is a bonus.

I can't remember which is which for spline types, both my diff cases are S14a though.
    Its the s14s that tend to have 29 spline shafts. If you have an s14a diff and the s15 output shafts its just plug and play

Rides
    So the S15 shafts will plug straight into the off the shelf ATB from Quaife, that's a good thing. How much are shafts? One assumes you need new bearings too but I think they're still available as NOS.

Rides
    That doesn't make sense. Quaife say it needs 29 spline equal length shafts:

Quaife ATB Helical LSD differential is suitable for Nissan R200 280-300Z / 200SX models and fits both S13 & S14 with equal length drive flanges.

DRIVE SHAFT SPLINE:-
    No. OF TEETH 29

https://shop.quaife.co.uk/qdf7l
    https://shop.quaife.co.uk/media/blfa_files/QDF7L.pdf

Rides
    I’ll give them a call on Monday and see what the crack is.

Rides
    They honestly might have changed it because of me tbh. Giving them a ring is probably best

Rides
    Thanks gents. Help appreciated!

Rides
    CompletIey different platform but I have one in my Westfield. Good gripper diff and a lot of the Westfield lads use them. I find it predictable, well behaved on the road and will do a bit of sideways if you fancy.

Rides
    Thanks bud. All experience is appreciated. I am waiting to call them Monday to find out what’s what.

Rides
    Thanks bud. All experience is appreciated. I am waiting to call them Monday to find out what’s what.
    Another thing I should mention, if you decide to use your original output shafts, you must remove the c clip things at the end of the shaft as the Quaife/s15 diff does not have them!

Rides
    Thanks bud but if it’s calling for equal length shafts then I’m almost certain I’ll need to buy a whole helical diff from an S15 to get them.

Still intending to call them Monday.

Rides
    I have the shafts in near perfect condition that I can't use, if you decide to go that route then I'm happy to sell them

Rides
    Smashing mate. Thank you. Hold that thought.