Thread: Emissions Failure

Rides

Emissions Failure

Hi guys.

My S14a was off the road for 1.5 years, with only occasional startups, and I want to get back on the road.

I naively took it for an mot straight out of the garage and it failed on emissions as below.

Fast idle:
    CO 1.77 (0.3 max)
    Lambda 0.954 (0.97-1.030)

Natural idle passed.

Full report here (if link works):

https://app.photobucket.com/u/SX_Mar...f-700eae7d4556

I have given it a full service, emptied the old fuel, topped up with new and added some emissions reducer. I want to change the o2 sensor as well, but the thing will not budge (o2 sensor socket).

To those who understand emissions, is there anything else I should do and do you think it’s worth changing the o2 sensor?

Also, what has worked best for you getting the o2 sensor off? I have got a crows foot spanner on order.

Thanks.

Rides
    I find hashing the four X out of the car on the way to the MOT station usually works wonders for emissions - strange as i didnt have any cats in my s14 and dont in my MX5 either....

But it passes, usually with great figures... ahh gota love magic.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sideways14a View Post
    I find hashing the four X out of the car on the way to the MOT station usually works wonders for emissions - strange as i didnt have any cats in my s14 and dont in my MX5 either....

But it passes, usually with great figures... ahh gota love magic.
    That’s cool.

Yes, I normally do that but on this occasion I drove straight to the garage.

To be fair to the operator he did Rev the crap out of it when testing it.

Rides
    You need a good "Italian tune-up" before the test, you want the oil at full temp and blow all the crud out of the engine. A red line a day keeps the carbon away... ;-)

Do you have an O2 removal socket?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by markcro View Post
    You need a good "Italian tune-up" before the test, you want the oil at full temp and blow all the crud out of the engine. A red line a day keeps the carbon away... ;-)

Do you have an O2 removal socket?
    Thanks for the tip markcro ;-)

Yes I tried to remove it with that, but it just flexes and spins around the nut.

Rides
    Update, O2 sensor changed using crows foot spanner (definitely the tool for the job), and went for a nice long drive before the test. Passed with flying colours, so another SX back on the road ;-)