Thread: Keeping car safe over winter

Rides

Smile Keeping car safe over winter

Hello again!

My car (Nissan 200sx 1993) is going to be inspected tomorrow for pricing on rust treatment. There are only a few tiny spots really nothing major and the underside is totally clean.

My question is: How to keep my car (relatively) warm and dry over the winter. I don't have a garage but I do have a drive so basically, a car cover or something similar would be ideal! Any recommendations? I'm willing to pay for the added peace of mind. I just don't want to the car to rust or suffer the elements as best I can!

Thank you!

Ciaran

Rides
    Car covers cause more problems than they solve IMO - especially if you actually want to use the car as it needs to be put away pretty much spotless / dry otherwise you'll get fine scratches / mould happening.

I'd get it nice and clean then apply 2 coats of a very good carnauba wax - be fine.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by arry View Post
    Car covers cause more problems than they solve IMO - especially if you actually want to use the car as it needs to be put away pretty much spotless / dry otherwise you'll get fine scratches / mould happening.

I'd get it nice and clean then apply 2 coats of a very good carnauba wax - be fine.
    Ohhh okay! Carnauba wax sounds interesting I'll have a look online for some

Rides
    Carcoon do an outdoor version, might be worth it if you’re willing to spend the money

Rides
    Yeah I wish I had the money for that haha!

Rides
    I kept my track car under a posh cover from 800bhp through 2 winters of snow and ice and it came out on the other side fine. But it was quite a posh cover and it was also a white car, so microburrs and the like would have been hard to detect.

I guess you have to ask yourself has it been covered or garaged for the last 25 years, and did it wither away.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by arry View Post

THIS.

One of the S13s I had had horrible paint fade due to it being kept under a cover by a previous owner. Better to protect the paint with a good wax and let the elements at it. They won't get through a good wax. Its only water after all.

Rides
    I'm in the same situation as my S14a is no longer my daily driver and sitting on the driveway. It was killing me looking at the condensation building up on the inside and the winter crud on the outside. So last year I forked out for a fancy cover. There are pros and cons but for me, it's the lesser of two evils. The inside no longer condensates and it is clean. But it does mar the paint in some places, but I can live with polishing that out in the spring.

A Stormforce cover btw.

Rides

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by skyshack View Post
    That's not a bad shout if you've got some hard standing to keep the car on.

Do not put any cover on the car if its standing on wet or growing ground