Thread: Can't get rid of clutch slip

Rides

Can't get rid of clutch slip

I have the following problem since I've bought the car - clutch is slipping on any gear above 1st.Now car is almost stock,did it with the old oem clutch,does it with a brand new valeo oe type clutch.Pressure plate is new.
    I've adjusted the pedal and master cylinder arm,checked out the rubber line and replaced the slave cylinder.Still slipping.Everything is installed the correct way and there are no leaks from the crank seal.Byte/engagement point seems kind of high.Any ideas ?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by prxdigivxs_ View Post
    I have the following problem since I've bought the car - clutch is slipping on any gear above 1st.Now car is almost stock,did it with the old oem clutch,does it with a brand new valeo oe type clutch.Pressure plate is new.
    I've adjusted the pedal and master cylinder arm,checked out the rubber line and replaced the slave cylinder.Still slipping.Everything is installed the correct way and there are no leaks from the crank seal.Byte/engagement point seems kind of high.Any ideas ?
    Are you using the correct release bearing? maybe its too long and constantly pressing the release springs?

Rides
    Yes.Same as OEM one.
    I was thinking if the lever that operates the clutch(the one that is pushed by the slave cylinder rod) could've somehow bent ?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by prxdigivxs_ View Post
    Yes.Same as OEM one.
    I was thinking if the lever that operates the clutch(the one that is pushed by the slave cylinder rod) could've somehow bent ?
    possibly, but they are pretty strong.

One thing you can check is that the slave cylinder is not 'Bottomed out'. You should be able to push the piston back a few millimetres, if this is bottomed out then it will be applying pressure to the clutch release springs.
    You can fix the above by shortening the push-rod.

Rides
    I can easily push it in.Will try to get a picture of how the rod sits later.I think it's pretty far out,but this could be the normal position.

Rides
    Did you get the flywheel surfaced/skimmed?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Rides
    No,I haven't.Just water sanded it,so it's clean.You're actually the second person that asks me this.How could this cause a slip ?

Rides
    You want quite a coarse finish on the flywheel surfaces front and back. Use emery paper not wet and dry.

Also, check that the lever is properly engaged in the pivot, that the pivot is not broken or cracked and that the clutch end of the lever is engaged properly in the release bearing.

On the S13 there is two different types of release bearing and on one type you have to remove a plastic cover and refit it to the new bearing. I don't know about the S14 though.

Rides
    As I said,here's a picture of how the rod sits :

Looks kinda off to me,at least judging by the rubber grommet.

Seems things are going towards gearbox removal for the 3rd time,so I will be getting the flywheel resurfaced just in case.

Rides
    Cant see the pic but picked it out of your message and pasted it into a new window.

The rod on the slave doesn't look right. Its too far out.

My guess would be that the lever arm is not correctly located in the release bearing, the arm is bent or the pivot has broken.

The pivots do break. They develop a stress fracture. Its a design fault in both the S13 and S14. You can buy upgraded Nismo pivots but as they only usually break after a number of years, just replacing with a new genuine one is the most cost effective solution.
    Last edited by Jonny Wilkinson; 14-11-2020 at 17:30.

Rides
    I wouldn't resurface the flywheel unless it needs it. Just hone it with emery paper.

This is what I did to mine.

Last edited by Jonny Wilkinson; 14-11-2020 at 18:30.

Rides
    Have a look at this from post 5 onwards for pics of what happens to the pivots.

https://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread....ighlight=pivot