Thread: My Nissan 200sx 1993 (New to the scene)

Rides

Talking My Nissan 200sx 1993 (New to the scene)

Hello!

My name is Ciaran and I just recently purchased this Nissan 200SX from a place in York.

It's got around 65k miles and practically zero rust. I've had a fair few compliments and I just had Sigma S30 alarm system and a Pioneer double din infotainment screen fitted. The car drives nice and I really enjoy cruising in it!

I would like to get to know some of you guys (I'm in the North-east) and hopefully learn a little more about the car and see what you guys think of it.

Here are some pictures of my car! : https://imgur.com/a/7E4IEEV

Also, the car runs a little rich I'm wondering why any ideas?

Thanks!

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Welcome, your car looks great
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Wow. That looks super clean

There's good value in keeping these as standard as possible these days. It's impossible to keep it bone stock, but keeping upgrades sympathetic will see you have a decent long term investment there. Whatever you do, don't start skidding it please There's so few of them in good condition.

As for running rich - what makes you think it is? Common faults will be a boost leak somewhere - most notably, if it's still stock, would be the wing mounted intercooler - but it could just as well be as simple as a lambda sensor issue given the age of the car.

Good luck with it - they're a beautiful car and a very rare sight these days.

Rides
    wow looks gorgeous, so clean! always wanted one of these
    I had the model down from that in 95 from new, the 100NX
    Recently acquired an S14a to mess around with
    Heed the great advice from the forum here, these guys know what they are talking about!

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    That looks lovely mate, nice work. As Arry says Id be looking at a boost leak for richness first, the lambda sensors are known to fail too
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    Thank you! Don't worry I intend to keep it stock! It drives really well and I want to keep it as clean as I can.

As for the running rich thing, the main reason I think this is because it sticks of fuel and I was informed by my family that it's mostly due to it running rich.

Quote Originally Posted by arry View Post
    Wow. That looks super clean

There's good value in keeping these as standard as possible these days. It's impossible to keep it bone stock, but keeping upgrades sympathetic will see you have a decent long term investment there. Whatever you do, don't start skidding it please There's so few of them in good condition.

As for running rich - what makes you think it is? Common faults will be a boost leak somewhere - most notably, if it's still stock, would be the wing mounted intercooler - but it could just as well be as simple as a lambda sensor issue given the age of the car.

Good luck with it - they're a beautiful car and a very rare sight these days.

Rides
    I will, thank you!

Rides
    Ohhh, that sounds nice

Got any pictures of it?

Rides
    If it’s got a decat that might account for a slight smell of unburnt fuel
    Last edited by sx rider; 28-10-2020 at 15:21.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by nero53 View Post
    As for the running rich thing, the main reason I think this is because it sticks of fuel and I was informed by my family that it's mostly due to it running rich.
    If it's an actual fuel smell, ie petrol in the cabin, then the fuel pump is under the rear boot carpet and when the fuel pumps fail people replace them and are, umm, somewhat lax with what they do with the O Ring that seals the tank entrance.

If you mean whilst driving then I'd stick by boost leaks being the first thing to check.

Rides
    Post some "under the bonnet" pictures as it could be as simple as someone did the carbon cannister delete and fecked it up.

As Arry said, it could be the fuel tank lid seal if someone has had that off. Its not re-usable as it swells when it comes into contact with petrol.

Rides
    Hey!

Here are some under bonnet pictures I took the other day

https://imgur.com/a/euI3JUY

Rides
    Wow ! That's a splendid original engine bay ! There isn't even any rot in the strengtheners that attach the strut turrets to the inner wings.

The carbon cannister is still in place so its doubtful it is that.

Its worth disconnecting the breather pipes that run from the back of the plenum (connected to the PCV) via the tops of the cam covers to the elephants trunk that sits between the air flow meter and the turbo. Check they are all clear then reconnect them.

They get clogged with emulsified oil which looks like mayo, especially on cars that have been used for short journeys a lot.

Arry is probably right about it being the seal on the top of the fuel tank. They aren't expensive to buy new from Nissan.

The fuel pump will be pretty far gone by now so if it hasn't been replaced, buy a genuine (not a cheap chinese copy) Walbro 225 litre fuel pump and install it, replacing the seal on the tank top as you do it.
    Access to the tank is through a panel in the boot. There are threads in the TechS13 subforum with pics.