Thread: Stalling when warm

Rides

Stalling when warm

Okay back on getting issues on the ca18det again.

From cold car starts fine and runs great even when warm no issues driving it no hesitation nothing. But as soon as its up to temp the car idle gets worse and eventually won't idle at standstill or at junctions as soon as I'm off the throttle it stalls.

It only does this once engine is up to temperature I have to hold the throttle in order to drive the car and its fine and pulls hard.

Not over fueling
    No boost leaks
    Compression warm is

1. 146 PSI
    2. 148 PSI
    3. 147 PSI
    4. 151 PSI

Idle valve is working and tps set I've also changed coilpacks, timing is correct at set to 15tdc

Completely baffled by this

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Rides
    Checked ECU Temp Sender?

Rides
    Sorry forgot to say this was replace last week for a new one

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by mospin View Post
    Sorry forgot to say this was replace last week for a new one

Was that in response to the issue, ie you've now tried a new one and the old one and same issue remained? Sorry, just thought I'd check. I guess it's not beyond realms of possibility you've picked up a duff new one. Might want to do the continuity test anyway and see whether there's a break in wiring maybe?

Proper weird one either way.

Rides
    No I had a idle issue before over a week ago so changed the sensor and that fixed the issue so the sensor is a week old.

Ive just tried another sensor with same results

Rides
    What arrangement for the breathers do you have?
    white '94 s13 200sx scrapped - mapped to 1.45bar. OS giken box, garrett GT2876R, 950cc injectors, ORC twin plate, nistune. 349bhp/325lbft @ 1.3bar CA18DET
    white '96 s13 180sx - type g with more kouki bits - RB25DET, GTR steel twin turbo conversion, RB26 crank & rods. 2.6L VVT twin turbo, SR20 OSG box, OSG STR twin plate clutch, Z32 ECU w/ nistune.

current status: 180 a bit broken but to be repaired.

Rides
    Breathers from rockers to catch can

Pcv blocked off.

Rides
    What about a dodgy earth. These cars are old now I'd be cleaning them all up. I think I once read about someone with the same issue ages ago and they had to put a honeycomb shape inside their intake pipe because the air flow was too free flowing. Have you searched for threads with people suffering from the same fault as you?

Rides
    it might be the combination of a couple of problems but with the PCV blocked off, that essentially acts as an idle air bypass when at vacuum.

I don't like blocking them off now really but if you are, you need to crack the throttle open or pull the idle screw all the way out - I pissed around with it loads with the CA trying to get a good idle.

I'd check the other AAC stuff as well to make sure that's moving freely and the idle screw is set up properly. the AAC doesn't move that much really to control the idle.
    white '94 s13 200sx scrapped - mapped to 1.45bar. OS giken box, garrett GT2876R, 950cc injectors, ORC twin plate, nistune. 349bhp/325lbft @ 1.3bar CA18DET
    white '96 s13 180sx - type g with more kouki bits - RB25DET, GTR steel twin turbo conversion, RB26 crank & rods. 2.6L VVT twin turbo, SR20 OSG box, OSG STR twin plate clutch, Z32 ECU w/ nistune.

current status: 180 a bit broken but to be repaired.

Rides
    Update with the above advice I've check all the following.

And I've found the cold start valve was seized fully shut on cold. strange that so again I've replaced it for another

I also found the themostat to not fully opening and slightly warped so I've ordered another one.

Will report back with results.

Rides
    Update now fixed it was a faulty cold start valve and warped thermostat seem to be running fine now apart from the starter motor has died on me.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by mospin View Post
    Update now fixed it was a faulty cold start valve and warped thermostat seem to be running fine now apart from the starter motor has died on me.

Bloody hell there's always something eh

Still at least you've got to the bottom of that one. I seem to recall Danny used to swear by removing the cold start valve entirely.

Rides
    I knew I'd have a few issues I will find while finally using the car but the csv going twice now is rediculous haha. Just need to find another starter motor and hopefully nothing else goes wrongs.

I've been told a few times to bin the thing but if I'm installing ac it be a pain to start

Rides
    what used to happen in my s14a, is that as soon as i would let off the throttle and engage the clutch, the car would shut down.
    i solved this issue by cleaning the AAC valve.
    might help you, buddy

edit* - just saw you solved your issue. =) duh
    Last edited by light-r; 06-11-2020 at 01:33.