Thread: Turbo not engaging...found out why. Please help.

Rides

Turbo not engaging...found out why. Please help.

Hi all,

So the Turbo on my S14 started cutting out during the summer...just for a few seconds at a time at the exact same place on a trip I have to do weekly. About 10 mins into driving, once on the motorway to take my dad his papers during lockdown. It was always at exactly the same place on the motorway so I figured maybe it was a cooling issue? It stopped doing it once the weather got a bit cooler too. I'm no mechanic but it felt like the turbo was cutting out momentarily.

In the last week or so the Turbo has barely been working at all and I have just found out why. The manifold inlet to the Turbo is basically being held on by gravity right now...all the bolts have sheared and the gasket is broken and hanging out. So I have been looking at diagrams online of the manifold,turbo and engine just so I know how to describe it to my mechanic.

The images I have been looking seem to differ a lot to the way my manifold looks. Can someone look at the images and tell me if my manifold is standard?

Also if anyone knows a good place to get the gaskets I will need for the turbo/manifold please direct me.

https://imgur.com/a/Nr7dO3U

Rides
    That's an aftermarket manifold but looks like a stock turbo, the gasket has blown because the nuts and studs have done a brexit as you say, easiest way is normally to unbolt the manifold and turbo as one. It's already got aftermarket coolant/oil lines by the looks of it so that helps too, basically you want a stud and nut kit for the turbo, a manifold to turbo gasket, likely a T2 as looks like stock turbo and then depending how you get on unbolting the manifold possibly nuts/studs for the manifold to engine. Conceptua on Ebay are genuinely well regarded but there are lots of different companies that will sell all the bits individually just have a look around.

Good luck!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by drc View Post
    That's an aftermarket manifold but looks like a stock turbo, the gasket has blown because the nuts and studs have done a brexit as you say, easiest way is normally to unbolt the manifold and turbo as one. It's already got aftermarket coolant/oil lines by the looks of it so that helps too, basically you want a stud and nut kit for the turbo, a manifold to turbo gasket, likely a T2 as looks like stock turbo and then depending how you get on unbolting the manifold possibly nuts/studs for the manifold to engine. Conceptua on Ebay are genuinely well regarded but there are lots of different companies that will sell all the bits individually just have a look around.

Good luck!
    Thanks so much! This is why I'm here. You guys....

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by loves2spooge View Post
    Hi all,

So the Turbo on my S14 started cutting out during the summer...just for a few seconds at a time at the exact same place on a trip I have to do weekly. About 10 mins into driving, once on the motorway to take my dad his papers during lockdown. It was always at exactly the same place on the motorway so I figured maybe it was a cooling issue? It stopped doing it once the weather got a bit cooler too. I'm no mechanic but it felt like the turbo was cutting out momentarily.

In the last week or so the Turbo has barely been working at all and I have just found out why. The manifold inlet to the Turbo is basically being held on by gravity right now...all the bolts have sheared and the gasket is broken and hanging out. So I have been looking at diagrams online of the manifold,turbo and engine just so I know how to describe it to my mechanic.

The images I have been looking seem to differ a lot to the way my manifold looks. Can someone look at the images and tell me if my manifold is standard?

Also if anyone knows a good place to get the gaskets I will need for the turbo/manifold please direct me.

https://imgur.com/a/Nr7dO3U
    Can't see the pics bud. Should be a T2 turbo and gaskets. Get locking nuts.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Rides
    The turbo to manifold flange should have locking tabs - a small plate of metal that you fit under the nuts, then once the nuts are done up tight you bend the tabs of the plate up to stop the nuts from unwinding. My guess is whoever fitted the manifold didn't bother with those, and here you are picking up the pieces unfortunately.

The solution, as mentioned above, is to remove the whole lot and fix it all together on the bench before reinstalling.

Make sure you get genuine gaskets - don't mess around with eBay specials; they'll fail prematurely and you'll do it all again.

Rides
    This is the tab kit.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233638254062

You can also get locking nuts to couple up with this which kind of cut into the thread.

Have a look at my mr2 roadster turbo video here, thats a 200sx stock turbo and the tabs nuts in question.

Watch from 13:00

https://youtu.be/3D_1wkxJkHg

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by arry View Post
    The turbo to manifold flange should have locking tabs - a small plate of metal that you fit under the nuts, then once the nuts are done up tight you bend the tabs of the plate up to stop the nuts from unwinding. My guess is whoever fitted the manifold didn't bother with those, and here you are picking up the pieces unfortunately.

The solution, as mentioned above, is to remove the whole lot and fix it all together on the bench before reinstalling.

Make sure you get genuine gaskets - don't mess around with eBay specials; they'll fail prematurely and you'll do it all again.
    Amazing, thanks so much. I was going to get these gaskets: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SR20DET-E...EAAOSw~ZBZ06Do

I bought a windscreen off these guys a couple of months ago and they seem like a good bunch.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazySx View Post
    This is the tab kit.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233638254062

You can also get locking nuts to couple up with this which kind of cut into the thread.

Have a look at my mr2 roadster turbo video here, thats a 200sx stock turbo and the tabs nuts in question.

Watch from 13:00

https://youtu.be/3D_1wkxJkHg

Will do, thanks so much.

Rides
    I'd invest in GENUINE gasket set. I've no idea whether those ones are crap but a lot of the pattern ones are.

Do it right do it once, IMO.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by arry View Post
    I'd invest in GENUINE gasket set. I've no idea whether those ones are crap but a lot of the pattern ones are.

Do it right do it once, IMO.
    Or use gaskets and a high temp sealant.