Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My cheapass MTB build

Rides

My cheapass MTB build

I know there are a lot of non-motorized 2 wheel personal transport users on here and as I have not that long started riding again after nearly 25yrs due to a fcuked hip and associated back problems I am happy and quite proud of myself that I have achieved so far.

Anyways

Started off with a comparatively cheap Trek Marlin 5

Which I bought new last summer.

For the first few months it was literally just riding round the local carparks to get my crappy body to work in some way that meant i was actually going forwards when i pedaled.

Upgraded to the local woods earlier this year and have been slowly building confidence, stamina and improving my ability to fall off!

Had a few rides out with Pablo then rode his bike and the difference between a cheap off the shelf and Pablos which is fairly highly customized was obviously night and day. It was sooooo easy to ride making the inclines seem so smooth and easy. We discussed and plotted and I decided to make some fairly easy and cost effective changes to my Trek and see how it would turn out.

First change and what made Pabs bike so easy to use was the gearset. The Trek cam with a 3x7 gearset and Pabs was 1x11. Decided go the 1x direction and ended up the a fairly new to the market mid level 1x12 gearset in the shape of the Shimano SLX M7100-1 kit which included the shifter, new front gear, new rear cassette and new shifter. This allows for a greater gear range, a little weight loss and a fair bit of de-cluttering of stuff.

20200807_173024 by M3l 2o0sX, on Flickr

I them goy some new grips, much comfier in the hand, definitely improver holding feel (wrist geometry) as they are a nice rounded grip instead of the hard molded rubber with a weird kinda palm rest built in.

20200802_161725 by M3l 2o0sX, on Flickr

Also got me some grippier pedals - https://burgtec.co.uk/product/mk4-composite-pedals/

Bike is currently in the shop as I didnt have the correct tool to change out the bottom bracket for the right 1 so when I collect I will get some pics up and a post ride assessment of the new parts fitted.

Pabs also donated a new stem which moves the bars back a bit so you can be a bit more upright instead of wieght forwards.

Rides
    Looks like some good upgrades!

I’ve been meaning to shorten my stem on my trek for ages, makes me lean too far forward!

Rides
    Forgot to mention the need for a new rear wheel/hub that fitted the QR axle but also had the microspline hub to fit the 12 gear cassette

20200924_221032 by M3l 2o0sX, on Flickr

20200924_215654 by M3l 2o0sX, on Flickr

Only 1 brand in the parts area that needed looking at imho

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sx rider View Post
    Looks like some good upgrades!

I’ve been meaning to shorten my stem on my trek for ages, makes me lean too far forward!
    Thanks bud, I have chosen upgrades that could be taken to the next bike when/if the time comes.

Hopefully will make the next step cheaper too as i will only need to get a new frame.

Next on the upgrade list is brakes and forks.

Rides
    Nice

What are you going with on the forks?

Rides
    Looking good. I've been replacing bits as well. I also just got a Hope Fortus 30 rear wheel as the old wheel was Sram XD driver and I fecking hate Sram and deffo a bit of a Hope Fan boi. Had to replace the Hope rear V4 caliper as well but that was my fault, user error. Got a set of Fox 38s on order as well as I keep breaking my 36s and an Ergon saddle, desperately trying not to buy a front wheel to match. Must stop spending.

I'll don my flame suit but have you considered an Emtb, personally I am a complete convert. The reason I mention it though I know several people who have injuries which mean they would not normally be on a bike but an emtb has made it possible again. You seem to be going in the right direction anyway but I would definitely say give one a try.

Rides
    No idea yet Arry, haven't got that far as my ride outs are fairly easy going terrain wise at the moment and I just wanted to make my bike a bit easier to use on the regular.

I have thought about the e-bike but i am inherently lazy and an emtb would make it too easy to stay that way.

Rides
    I am the same in terms of lazy but I have found the exact opposite. I push way harder on my ebike always going at the max pace I can. I go for rides I would never do and multiple in a week. At bikes parks they are amazing, I just power up the hills and go straight back down, barely stop until I am simply too knackered to carry on. I have lost more weight on an emtb and been fitter than I have ever been.

Rides
    Thats interesting. Maybe when funds allow i will look a bit more

Rides
    Had some wheel mods myself this week....

Just within the 24 month warranty, by 10 days....

Can't fault whyte, replacing them and covering all costs.... just waiting for the dealer I bought ot from to lace the new rims up...

Yours is looking good and love the hope wheels, I can't believe how far bikes have come since I got my kona in 2009 to this whyte in 2018

If you haven't already got one, a dropper seat post is a huge game changer, and IMHO one of the best innovations in mtb over the last decade

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

Rides
    Yeah, I'm looking lol

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by MEL View Post
    No idea yet Arry, haven't got that far as my ride outs are fairly easy going terrain wise at the moment and I just wanted to make my bike a bit easier to use on the regular.
    Let me know what you decide. It's the one part of my GT that I'm not convinced on. I've already upgraded the brakes and they're fine, but the forks just don't work very well.

Rides
    I had rock shox sector rl as an upgrade on my kona, they were very very good for not bad money.

Especially after I had a fat bastard spring fitted from tf tuned

Rides
    This is what has caught my eye Damo - https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...iate_id=103504

What fork is it Arry?

Rides
    Pretty sure all the budget brands are the same chineese stuff, a lot like intercoolers in the old sx world....

My whyte has their "own" brand post and its been faultless over 2 yrs and I probably well exceed its design weight lol

They seem to go for 150 online if you can find one in stock,

https://whyte.bike/products/drop-it-seat-post

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by DLowe View Post
    Pretty sure all the budget brands are the same chineese stuff, a lot like intercoolers in the old sx world....

My whyte has their "own" brand post and its been faultless over 2 yrs and I probably well exceed its design weight lol

They seem to go for 150 online if you can find one in stock,

https://whyte.bike/products/drop-it-seat-post

Worth a look when the time comes

Rides
    Picked up the bike from the shop, here it is with all its vagazzaly upgrades

20201009_150945 by M3l 2o0sX, on Flickr

The bits:

The head/stem
    20201009_151008 by M3l 2o0sX, on Flickr

The pedals
    20201009_150955 by M3l 2o0sX, on Flickr

The new crank set
    20201009_151042 by M3l 2o0sX, on Flickr

First mod i got back in April
    20201009_151101 by M3l 2o0sX, on Flickr

Cassette
    20201009_151050 by M3l 2o0sX, on Flickr

Rides
    Looks nice mate, Do love Burgtec stuff, apart from their new stem. Had a few sets of the bars. Definitely agree about the dropper, I've had a Brand X one from CRC and for the money you cannot really fault them and they have warranty. They do up to a 200mm one now.

Reflectors need to go, asap.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by MEL View Post
    What fork is it Arry?

Suntour X100 which got a half decent write-up back in MBR in the day, but it was exposed quite badly on my usage earlier in the year and that wasn't particularly hard going.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by DLowe View Post
    Yes the Brand X one I mentioned is the Same as the Bird and Raceface. I'm sure lots of other brands use it as well.

I will have some Fox 36 factory 170mm for sale shortly.