Thread: Experience with GTR Brembos

Rides

Experience with GTR Brembos

Has anyone here got experience driving on different brakes on their 14, specifically GTR Brembos against something like a K Sport kit?

A good member on here will be selling some soon, and I'm interested for my road car build. I intent to track it occasionally but not often and am torn between a Z32 rear/K Sport 330 front set up against a GTR Brembo Front/GTR rear.

Would be interested to here like for like experience.

Failing that, general opinions on the Brembos welcomed.

Thanks

Ryan

Rides
    My car came with GTR Brembos front and standard S14 rears, so I can't compare with a purely OEM setup.

I have done numerous track days and the GTR Brembos resist fade well, although this will be a function of pad choice too (Ferrodo DS2500s have worked well for me). In terms of outright power, I can lock up the tyres so clearly it is ample. It's a solid setup that, perhaps with some ducting, is probably all you ever need even on track for relatively light cars like ours - unless you have 500hp perhaps. If the Brembos are good enough for track then it will be easily sufficient for the light demands of road use.

Having recently played with brake balance i know the S14 rears are slightly mismatched to the R33 fronts, although I think any stock setup of the era (all S14, all R33 GTR) will always have an inherrent front bias for stability and I can't compare how much better or worse my setup is. Concensus on the interballs is that switching to Z32/R33 rears (and with a BM57 master cyclinder) being a oem matched setup is pretty much optimal; it's certainly a well trodden path (if you can find all the bits).

(For me, switching to Z32 rears has a whole host of complication in trying to track down all the right bits to get the handbrake working etc. Instead I'm intending to experiment with getting the stock rears working harder as I don't think they've ever faded and therefore they have the capacity to provide more retardation given higher pressure, which is cheaper, easier and lighter than fitting bigger discs/calipers etc. Someone will come along and tell me this is all wrong, but hey.)

Rides
    I have them and I like them. Haven't used K-sport so can't comment on them I'm afraid. GTR brembo's front and rear, with Performance Friction discs and pads, BM57 with stock S14 servo, braided lines and SRF fluid plus abs deleted. Works for me.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by piman2k View Post
    Has anyone here got experience driving on different brakes on their 14, specifically GTR Brembos against something like a K Sport kit?

A good member on here will be selling some soon, and I'm interested for my road car build. I intent to track it occasionally but not often and am torn between a Z32 rear/K Sport 330 front set up against a GTR Brembo Front/GTR rear.

Would be interested to here like for like experience.

Failing that, general opinions on the Brembos welcomed.

Thanks

Ryan
    While not 100% to do with your situation, I think it may be relevant. My Saab has some aftermarket front callipers on it that were there from the previous owner. Due to the disc size and pad size, you can only get them from the manufacturer at a silly price and limited options meaning they have your balls in a vice when it comes to replacements.
    I'd much rather have the OEM Brembos as you have so many different choices of discs and pads to chose from and also rebuild kits are easier to source.

Rides
    Many thanks chaps. The feedback about discs is interesting, I hadn't considered serviceability. Though I have to be honest, I doubt I'll ever get through a set of discs anyway. I do remember having a little bit of hassle sourcing pads for my K-Sport 356's back in the day.

I think the track day feedback here is probably more than enough to make me comfortable with them, especially considering I don't intend to be tracking. Thanks guys, much appreciate all your input.

Rides
    I had GTR brembos on mine, still have the rears. To be fair I never had the best discs like PF, but I killed mine on a snetterton track day. No problems on the road though. I swapped the fronts for K Sport 356mm which can also be shit with the wrong parts. In fact I’ve ducted cooling to them to help even with recent rotors and pads.

I think I’ll end up spunking a fortune on a set of Alcons next year once the mortgage is gone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    I run GTR Brembo's up front, Z32 rear, professionally refurbished.
    Couple things to consider, they are old (alloy corrosion) and discs are expensive

350z Brembo's are younger, front disc diameter is practically the same and discs are way cheaper.
    Front hubs will need drilled though and the rears do not bolt on.

There are some overseas kits for 370z Akibono's. New calipers are reasonably priced iirc
    Check Conceptz, Z1motorsports, Omega...
    Worth a look

Rides
    Recently I came across adapter kits for Megane 3 RS brembo calipers, which are similar size to the Evo calipers, accepting larger pads than the r33-r34 GTR brembos.
    The nice part is that these Megane calipers can be bought brand new for about 400euro. The kit uses 350z disks, so no GTR prices.

I've got no experience with it, but it sounds like a nice combo. That's going to be definitely my next upgrade when I'm done with the pads and disks on my current setup.