Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Nissan Z

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    Fcuk reeducating the customer. Its a massive backward step that doesn't need to be taken. Its just lazy.

Its funny that we have the infrastructure in place to ship enough go-juice around the country (and the world) to allow everyone to be pretty certain that they won't get stranded when that fuel is a highly volatile resource that needs shipping in lorries but we can't find a way to ship electricity around the country....oh, wait a minute, we do !

So the only problem to solve is to remove the "wait time" to get the electricity into the car.

Hmmmm, let's see. What do I do when my torch's battery runs out ? Well, I just swap out the drained batteries and put a new set in and put the old ones on charge.

And what about when I'm going camping so can't just delve into the draw for a new set ? I just buy a new set at a .............petrol station

Oh the cost ! The cost ! I hear you wail. Just rent the fecking batteries. Manufacturers would need to define a plug-and-play standard for batteries but its not like that hasn't been done before.

The problem is not unsolvable. If they introduced pitstops into formula E, it would soon be solved.
    It's a perfectly workable solution in theory.
    The only issue is the we (the government) has already massively bought into re-charging that doing anything else is a massive U-turn.

Aftercall the entire point of doing this is because it's more environmentally friendly than using the current ICE setup.
    Binning off tens of thousands of charge points and many thousands of cars (all of which are just a few years old at best) is complete lunacy.

You can't save the planet by making mountains of E-waste, we'll just end up killing it faster with all this virtue-signalling nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by piman2k View Post
    In the meantime, changing the customer attitude is something that I really think the trade has to work on. Most people don't drive 200 miles in a trip, or even a day. But the panic of "what if I had to" will always mean a reliance on chemical energy.
    Here perhaps, a (very) small and densely populated country where EV's actually could work in the near future.

Go somewhere else, somewhere much larger and it's a total non-starter.

Rides
    EV's are ****ing shite, i dont want to drive a shitter around with 2 tons weight.

Rides
    A little off-topic on an already off topic but if you look on the "electricity usage by country", 60th is not a country but the computers used to mine for bitcoin.

What great idea ! Kill the planet so that criminals can trade off radar.

Rides
    I like the new z car. If it does well maybe we might see a s16 in the future

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Actual_Ben_Taylor View Post
    I like it, shame they aren't going to sell it over here.

However, there’s bad news for the UK and mainland Europe: the as-yet-unnamed new model won’t be offered for sale here. In a statement sent to Autocar, Nissan cited a “shrinking European sports car market and specific regulations on emissions” as the reasons why it was “unable to build a viable business case” for the car’s European release.
    What?????? Aren’t California emissions regulations even stricter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by arry View Post
    And thus, most likely, by the time it becomes affordable to import to Europe it'll be unobtainium levels of unaffordable.
    That’s it. I’ll buy a Supra... I mean a BMW Z4....

Nissan still haven’t learned, that’s why they need Renault / the French government to prop them up

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by R3K1355 View Post
    The problem is the governments aspiration is for everyone to have EV, but the technology isn't there yet and neither is the infrastructure.

They are definitely trying to jump the gun and it's just gunna implode big style.
    The government have many aspirations. All unachievable

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sideways14a View Post
    EV's are ****ing shite, i dont want to drive a shitter around with 2 tons weight.
    They're quick as **** though, even relatively average models are amazingly nippy.
    I'd more than happily have one, I'm looking forward to when they become mainstream because the power delivery is almost comical.

but I'm not putting up with a car that struggles to do 100 miles on a charge, sod that.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by R3K1355 View Post
    ...but I'm not putting up with a car that struggles to do 100 miles on a charge, sod that.
    You obviously need re-educating as your expectations have been unrealistically set . Do you not understand that three stops of one hour in a service station on the M1 is perfectly reasonable if you want to travel north/south or vice versa ?

Rides
    You obviously need re-educating as your expectations have been unrealistically set . Do you not understand that three stops of one hour in a service station on the M1 is perfectly reasonable if you want to travel north/south or vice versa ?
    What was that Zero 'touring' bike they made that had a range of something like 90 miles at motorway speeds Imagine thinking yeah sod it I fancy the NC500 this weekend. It'd take you 4 days just to get up there

Rides
    Why are you ridiculing my comment without actually having a think about it?

Rides
    Electric cars with low ranges are not marketed as cars to do several hundred mile trips in. It’s not a difficult concept to grasp.

Electric cars that are marketed at motorway use (iPace, Model S) DO have sufficient range to make those trips.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by piman2k View Post
    Electric cars with low ranges are not marketed as cars to do several hundred mile trips in. It’s not a difficult concept to grasp.

Electric cars that are marketed at motorway use (iPace, Model S) DO have sufficient range to make those trips.
    First part - agree; but then that always means you have to have a second car up your sleeve, or hire something, when you need to do an actual journey that isn't popping to shops.

Second part - well I thought that too; iPace, 290 odd miles range - wwwoaaaawww - then you do the 'small print' adjustments and realise it's, err, realistically, half that I'm not joking, play around with their configurator and if you've got the 20inch wheel option and the air con on, in 20 degree heat, on the motorway, you're out of juice in 181 miles - and that's driving at an average speed of 57mph and managing all of your braking regen, having the battery pre-conditioned and all that jazz:

https://www.jaguar.co.uk/jaguar-rang...-ev/index.html

Charging? Well they don't seem to say how long it takes for a full charge but it does say 15 minutes on a fast charger gets you 78 miles. Assuming that people that drive like, you know, normal folk would get 150 miles out of the first charge (and I think that's generous) I'd say that's more like 60 miles. Assuming it's a linear charge rate you'd say 120 miles for half hour charge.

Inverness for the start of the NC500 is ~570 miles. I'd do that in my 911 in 2 tankful of juice at a steady 80, pretty much no bother. Assuming I stop for a bit of lunch when I refuel and take half hour at it, I'm there in less than 9 hours, more like 8 and a half.

In the iPace, assuming there were fast charging stations everywhere I needed them to maximise range, I'd need to:
    Do 150 miles and stop for 40 mins to give myself another ~150 miles range and let's assume it could do the same 70mph average to achieve that (I doubt it can, but still)
    Do the next 150 miles to get me to 300 miles
    Stop for 40 minutes
    Do the next 150 miles to get me to 450 miles
    Stop for 40 minutes
    Try desperately to eek out the last 120 miles including the around town bit to find my hotel without running out of juice
    Hope that they've got a charger.

On paper it looks like it's only an extra couple of hours or so but I have doubts about that in the real world, and - realistically - makes it an overnight stop. Now, the next problem - how many fast chargers are there likely to be on the NC500?

It's a bit of a silly example but it's the kind of thing that worries crap out of me for the future TBH.

Sod XR.

Rides
    This is why hydrogen powered cars are way better. They are lighter, can be refuelled in minutes, and so long as hydrogen is made in a sustainable way will be carbon neutral outside of the initial manufacturing process of course

Rides
    First part - agree; but then that always means you have to have a second car up your sleeve, or hire something, when you need to do an actual journey that isn't popping to shops.

Second part - well I thought that too; iPace, 290 odd miles range - wwwoaaaawww - then you do the 'small print' adjustments and realise it's, err, realistically, half that I'm not joking, play around with their configurator and if you've got the 20inch wheel option and the air con on, in 20 degree heat, on the motorway, you're out of juice in 181 miles - and that's driving at an average speed of 57mph and managing all of your braking regen, having the battery pre-conditioned and all that jazz:

https://www.jaguar.co.uk/jaguar-rang...-ev/index.html

Charging? Well they don't seem to say how long it takes for a full charge but it does say 15 minutes on a fast charger gets you 78 miles. Assuming that people that drive like, you know, normal folk would get 150 miles out of the first charge (and I think that's generous) I'd say that's more like 60 miles. Assuming it's a linear charge rate you'd say 120 miles for half hour charge.

Inverness for the start of the NC500 is ~570 miles. I'd do that in my 911 in 2 tankful of juice at a steady 80, pretty much no bother. Assuming I stop for a bit of lunch when I refuel and take half hour at it, I'm there in less than 9 hours, more like 8 and a half.

In the iPace, assuming there were fast charging stations everywhere I needed them to maximise range, I'd need to:
    Do 150 miles and stop for 40 mins to give myself another ~150 miles range and let's assume it could do the same 70mph average to achieve that (I doubt it can, but still)
    Do the next 150 miles to get me to 300 miles
    Stop for 40 minutes
    Do the next 150 miles to get me to 450 miles
    Stop for 40 minutes
    Try desperately to eek out the last 120 miles including the around town bit to find my hotel without running out of juice
    Hope that they've got a charger.

On paper it looks like it's only an extra couple of hours or so but I have doubts about that in the real world, and - realistically - makes it an overnight stop. Now, the next problem - how many fast chargers are there likely to be on the NC500?

It's a bit of a silly example but it's the kind of thing that worries crap out of me for the future TBH.

Sod XR.
    There’s another thing they don’t advertise in the front page.

How often do the batteries need replacing? I heard Tesla Lithium Ion batteries need replacing after 10000 miles

Rides
    A: Yes. I‑PACE’s battery has a 8 years or 160.000km (100.000 miles) warranty and is redeemable if the battery drops below a 70 percent state of health.

Would have thought that's alright but I've no idea how much a new battery would be. A lot, one assumes.

Rides
    Although that does flag an interesting point in that I wonder what the range values on the website are now based on; presumably they'd base it on being a new car with new battery?

So the question then is, if it drops to 75% within a year and you're crap out of luck with your warranty, then that 150 miles range becomes reduced by a quarter. Now you're down to 112 miles before you're popping it on charge.

That would be pretty inconvenient.

Rides
    Although that does flag an interesting point in that I wonder what the range values on the website are now based on; presumably they'd base it on being a new car with new battery?

So the question then is, if it drops to 75% within a year and you're crap out of luck with your warranty, then that 150 miles range becomes reduced by a quarter. Now you're down to 112 miles before you're popping it on charge.

That would be pretty inconvenient.
    You also have to factor in the methods of charging. How many times you have to charge etc

Lithium ion prefers to be partially charged rather than the full discharge cycles you used to have to do with Ni-cad

Rides
    Don't know how we got onto vehement dislike of EV's from the Z car but yeah, all of that stuff just says bollocks to that from me, I'll stick with something that just works, ta.

Read an Autocar report where they took one on a 1000 mile trip from Twickenham to Frankfurt. 7 hours were lost in road charging across that time. 7....hours.....that's an hour every 140 miles and that doesn't seemingly include the overnight charge they gave the car at the hotel. Assume your hotel doesn't have the facilities and yeah, stick another couple of hours on.

Yikes.

Rides
    Battery tech currently sucks

We're way behind where we need to be to get them to be viable. Too heavy for starters.

Quick charging sounds like a recipe for disaster. How quickly does repeated quick charging take to murder a battery?

Just waiting for someone's battery have a proper meltdown (I've had 2 phones pop batteries, can't wait to see a car one do it )

I'm in the Hydrogen camp, they're recently made some good strides with the tech to stop it being so "Mini Hindenburg"
    SXOC Member #62SXOCCar Gone & ZX-12RPS4 - AFKAN
    Pessimists are people without dreams. dhún an doras ar do bhealach amach...Wii - 2031 7909 3288 5367
    Gamers Read This...