Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: New Nissan Z

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by DLowe View Post
    As a senior engineer for the country's biggest DNO I can say for certain that electric cars will destroy the national network for everyone, the infrastructure is so poor as it has been ransacked and asset stripped non stop from the day it was privatised there is no way it can support even half the households of the country attempting to charge 1 car each on a shitty 10hr cycle.

The amount of infrastructure we installed just to fit 6 tesla chargers at Keele services was ludicrous, to make it feasible for everyone then every housing estates hoping to need a primary substation at the centre.

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

That was kinda my fear.

Rides
    I suppose I could get used to electric vehicles

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/ele...m30fbteQiiQRJ0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rides
    See, ICE really doesn't have an answer for that.

Not that I prefer it, the engine experience will always be awesome. But you'd struggle to find any way to knock that car.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    Fcuk reeducating the customer. Its a massive backward step that doesn't need to be taken. Its just lazy.

Its funny that we have the infrastructure in place to ship enough go-juice around the country (and the world) to allow everyone to be pretty certain that they won't get stranded when that fuel is a highly volatile resource that needs shipping in lorries but we can't find a way to ship electricity around the country....oh, wait a minute, we do !

So the only problem to solve is to remove the "wait time" to get the electricity into the car.

Hmmmm, let's see. What do I do when my torch's battery runs out ? Well, I just swap out the drained batteries and put a new set in and put the old ones on charge.

And what about when I'm going camping so can't just delve into the draw for a new set ? I just buy a new set at a .............petrol station

Oh the cost ! The cost ! I hear you wail. Just rent the fecking batteries. Manufacturers would need to define a plug-and-play standard for batteries but its not like that hasn't been done before.

The problem is not unsolvable. If they introduced pitstops into formula E, it would soon be solved.
    This is it really, a la Nio of China.. dedicated pods in car parks where you drive in, the battery is swapped out automatically and you're off on your way in a relatively short space of time. As a secondary service they have quick charge vans all over the country that can come out to you like the AA and give you a quick charge to get you to the nearest pod.
    And the kicker is much greater infrastructure to support the whole system.... although we won't mention the major pollution problem from coal fired power stations!
    S13 No2 :: Refresh in progress

Rides
    Anyways, back to the original topic.

If Carlos Ghosn's predictions are correct about Nissan going bankrupt in 2022, the new Z may never happen

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by TomB View Post
    This is it really, a la Nio of China.. dedicated pods in car parks where you drive in, the battery is swapped out automatically and you're off on your way in a relatively short space of time
    Which is fantastic if we either a) all drive one of a very limited type of cars with a standard or semi standard pack or vehicle interface or b) have huge facilities with a station per car type, plus all the associated space required to store a suitable sized stash of batteries.

Manufacturers are never going to buy in to a standard battery pack across OEMs, so this challenge is never going to be resolved.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by TomB View Post
    This is it really, a la Nio of China.. dedicated pods in car parks where you drive in, the battery is swapped out automatically and you're off on your way in a relatively short space of time. As a secondary service they have quick charge vans all over the country that can come out to you like the AA and give you a quick charge to get you to the nearest pod.
    And the kicker is much greater infrastructure to support the whole system.... although we won't mention the major pollution problem from coal fired power stations!
    How much will it all cost? I assume you're gunna need to pay a technician to do the swapping over, unless you want the general public doing it all?

The issue is if it costs much more than charging at home people won't do it, because if it means saving a few quid most of the population will crawl over broken glass to do so.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by GrahamB View Post
    Battery tech currently sucks
    Yep absolutly.
    Now where is my RWD 1 ton roadsters that handles like a dream..... ohh wait... no fooking EV can even dream of that.

Shite.

Can't tell the difference cleanhands's Avatar
    Rides
    Looking at the roof line, isn't it just a 370 with some cladding. If so, it's going to be 1700Kg all day. So about the same as if it was electric.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by cleanhands View Post
    Looking at the roof line, isn't it just a 370 with some cladding. If so, it's going to be 1700Kg all day. So about the same as if it was electric.
    How do you get to 1700KG? The 370 is under 1500KG

Rides
    Only just. Add a couple of turbos, intercoolers and associated pipework, plus modern electronics and someone to operate it and it'll be closer to 1700 than 1500.

People have been working out power to weight ratios of driverless cars, lubricated and fuelled by air since forever. It's nonsense.

Rides
    Only just. Add a couple of turbos, intercoolers and associated pipework, plus modern electronics and someone to operate it and it'll be closer to 1700 than 1500.

People have been working out power to weight ratios of driverless cars, lubricated and fuelled by air since forever. It's nonsense.
    You have to leave out the person operating it. Dry curb weight. Or should you adjust the suspension to cater for an overweight driver etc?

They are making cars lighter. The 350Z peaked at 1634, the 370 1466. (I rounded up to 1500)

They will try to keep the weight down if it happens.

Rides
    Be good if they do. Which manufacturers in the last 10 years have even tried, apart from Mazda?

Appreciate they're not in the same market but a Porsche 718 Spyder weighs over 400Kg more than an ND MX5 and you have to get out to put the roof up and down. Madness.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Asht_200 View Post
    You have to leave out the person operating it. Dry curb weight. Or should you adjust the suspension to cater for an overweight driver etc?

They are making cars lighter. The 350Z peaked at 1634, the 370 1466. (I rounded up to 1500)

They will try to keep the weight down if it happens.

Kerb. Curb is if you're a Yankie Doodle

I thought the kerb weight of the 350 was nearer 1550....... But that's from memory test driving one against an S2000 some decade or so ago.

Rides
    Be good if they do. Which manufacturers in the last 10 years have even tried, apart from Mazda?

Appreciate they're not in the same market but a Porsche 718 Spyder weighs over 400Kg more than an ND MX5 and you have to get out to put the roof up and down. Madness.
    FK8 Civic Type R lost ~60kg to the FK2, from memory.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by arry View Post
    Kerb. Curb is if you're a Yankie Doodle

I thought the kerb weight of the 350 was nearer 1550....... But that's from memory test driving one against an S2000 some decade or so ago.
    Hey it’s designed in the US

Rides
    Be good if they do. Which manufacturers in the last 10 years have even tried, apart from Mazda? .
    The F80 m3 lost weight compared to the previous e92 m3.. however the new G80 is heavier (4wd adding the weight no doubt... or it could be 300kg of GRILLE)