Thread: Usual CAS location at 15 BTDC?

Rides

Usual CAS location at 15 BTDC?

I’ve recently rebuilt my CA and have a few running issues. I’ve noticed the CAS is rotated almost fully to the left at 15 degrees before TDC and wanted to check if this is normal?
    Is there a usual orientation for the CAS or is it different on every engine? I’ve checked the teeth inside and there doesn’t seem to be any obvious wear to the CAS or the camshaft.
    Would there be anything else that could affect where the CAS sits?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by white13 View Post
    I’ve recently rebuilt my CA and have a few running issues. I’ve noticed the CAS is rotated almost fully to the left at 15 degrees before TDC and wanted to check if this is normal?
    Is there a usual orientation for the CAS or is it different on every engine? I’ve checked the teeth inside and there doesn’t seem to be any obvious wear to the CAS or the camshaft.
    Would there be anything else that could affect where the CAS sits?

Thanks in advance

timing is definatelly out, at correct alligment is cas at almost middle at 15deg...

Rides
    Ok thanks. Any ideas what would cause this? I have checked TDC using a DTI in cylinder 1 and the marks on the crank pulley are correct but the CAS is still all the way to the left

Rides
    Potentially a tooth out on the belt or you have wear on the woodruff key / crank nose / pulley.

Take pics of CAS splines?

Rides
    Also check you don't have a broken 1/2 moon peg in cam nose.

Rides
    Thanks for the replies. I’ve checked the splines in the CAS and the camshaft and they don’t look to be worn. The half moon peg also looks ok.

I’ll get some time to work on the car tomorrow so I’ll do a few more checks and take some pictures

Rides
    I had my cas fully advance after doing the timing belt and I counted the teeth and checked it so many times.

Eventually gave up taking the timing off the loop and used a ht lead on no. 1 coil and it set 15tdc in the center so don't rule out that annoying loop and try setting timing with a ht lead as well.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Rides
    I’ve never tried setting the ignition timing using the loop technique. I always use a Snap-On timing gun

Rides
    Tooth out on timing belt, don't rely too much on the timing marks on the backplate, focus more on counting the teeth (39 between cam dots, 48 between exh cam and crank dot.)

Rides
    Or get a Gates belt with marks printed on it. Line up with pop marks on sprockets.

Rides
    I managed to get some time on the car last weekend so I checked the cam timing again. I’m using a Gates belt with the marks printed on the belt. The timing wasn’t out but there may have been too much slack between the cams when I set it originally. I reset it and got all the slack on the tensioner side properly so that’s spot on now. Used the DTI in cylinder 1 again to find TDC exactly.

I pulled the codes from the ECU and the coolant temp sensor has a fault so I’m waiting on one to be delivered. Got messed about with a AFM from ebay so I’m on the hunt for a known good one again.

The only other possible issue I found was the engine earth cable that had perished so I’ve replaced that and added another earth cable to the exhaust side of the engine too.

The CAS still wants to be rotated all the way to the left to sit at 15 degrees but I’ll recheck all this when I recieve the coolant temp sensor and it’s running properly

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by white13 View Post
    I managed to get some time on the car last weekend so I checked the cam timing again. I’m using a Gates belt with the marks printed on the belt. The timing wasn’t out but there may have been too much slack between the cams when I set it originally. I reset it and got all the slack on the tensioner side p
    If there's the right number of teeth between the marks then there can't be too much slack unless it's jumped a tooth.

Rides
    Yea I agree. Not really sure what had happened or if it was even out at all. I was being pestered at the time by a customer and then I released the tensioner to set it again.
    I set the timing and checked it a few times to make sure so it’s now spot on.