Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gaming PC options

Rides
    Righto, sounds good.

So it looks like you can get a case that can take a 360mm cooler which is slightly cheaper, which offsets the cost of the 360mm cooler itself.

There is an option of 10% overclock for £29, but not sure it's worth it.

Rides
    Overclock yourself, forget about them doing it.

Yes go for a bigger Rad.

I have seen some ridicules figures from reviews.... the 5600 kicking ass and its the smallest cpu in the new family.!!!!

Rides
    Off topic, but what are people’s thoughts on Apple replacing Intel CPU’s with ARM architecture in the Mac range? Could you see Microsoft revisiting supporting ARM with Windows? Many Linux distros already support ARM, there is a drive for reduced power consumption. Could we be seeing the beginning of the end of x86 dominance in the PC / server market? Especially with NVidia agreeing to purchase ARM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rides
    I do not... at least for the short to medium term see ARM even coming remotely close to x64
    Yes there are lots of fancy slides and BS from Crapple and all that but .... well wake me up when someone makes an ARM base chip that can beat the 3990x or 64 core/128thread Epycs
    By the time amr gets half decent X64 will have morphed again, its just happened (Chiplets) and the next big enhancement to x64 will be specific chip lets for specific purposes - ie fitting a RDNA2 (prob RDNA3 more like) core to one of the spaces on a TR chip so it can utilise the enormous compute capabilities from a GPU. Stick some 4th level cache (HBM3?) on another chiplet and a few tweaks to Zen 4/5 (prob 5 by this time and you could have a 128 core 5nm monster with quad threading capability and utterly stupid math function capacity from the GPU/....sudo FPU (or whatever they call it).

Now with nvidia buying ARM they might try and do this with ARM based cpus in say a chiplet fashion like AMD but with ARM cores and Cuda co processors... but thats way down the road - i think AMD has the upper hand at the moment, especially because they just bought Xilinx and that means they could theoretically add any co processor they want.... for practically any purpose in hardware as Xilinx make FPGAs.

So AMD and Nvidia will forge on a bit with things but what about intel, they might get 7nm or even 5nm off the ground properly sometime in the 35th centaury and meanwhile sell nothing but overheating crap.

Rides
    So then, bit of a belated update, but the PC arrived before Xmas, albeit with a compromise in spec. Thanks the cluster**** with most new components the RX6800 wasn't due till 31/12 so I downgraded to the 3060 Ti. That's down to my impatience and thinking **** it, I can upgrade later if need be. Did save me quite a few ££££'s though.

So far it's running anything I chuck at it with no issues. I've not touched it much overclock wise, only messing with Afterburner for the GPU and making sure AMD PBO is enabled. The main thing for me was AMS 2, which with everything set to Ultra, all bells and whistles, 24 car grid and 4k it's running ~130FPS. Most of the other stuff I've bought is all quite old (Far Cry fanatic) so probable next big test will be Far Cry 6.

Rides
    What size monitor are you running 4k on? Sounds a pretty mega set up compared to most. I've got a i7700k with gtx1660 running triple screens at 5760x1080 in Assetto Corsa, get around 80fps on medium settings online with say 20 car grid. Good enough for me at the moment but can imagine 4k is pretty amazing!

Rides
    What Zen chip was it again?
    As for the gpu, prob a decent idea, the 3060ti is ok, although dont even think about trying raytracing on it - it will do single digit fps.

I am seeing some RX6800s doing near 2.8Ghz which is bloody mental, if the partner cards for the 6900 can do the 3ghz limit in the bios then they will be complete monsters. But dam expensive ones.

I am still on my old 5820k at 4.5g and a 1080ti, will be wanting a 5900x later next year when the crap prices drop.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by drc View Post
    What size monitor are you running 4k on? Sounds a pretty mega set up compared to most. I've got a i7700k with gtx1660 running triple screens at 5760x1080 in Assetto Corsa, get around 80fps on medium settings online with say 20 car grid. Good enough for me at the moment but can imagine 4k is pretty amazing!
    It does look pretty good to be honest, it seems all the new generation parts are working well, even the low end I went with. I have been looking into the screens, as although I'm seeing up to 130FPS it is running through a single 50" 60hz 4k display. Reading up on this it seems I should be seeing some tearing or whatever, but if it is there I can't tell. I did activate V-sync in AMS2 and it did run the same, but capped to 60FPS. Looks like it's possible to get 120hz with UDMI 2.1 so might be an option.

Quote Originally Posted by sideways14a View Post
    What Zen chip was it again?
    As for the gpu, prob a decent idea, the 3060ti is ok, although dont even think about trying raytracing on it - it will do single digit fps.

I am seeing some RX6800s doing near 2.8Ghz which is bloody mental, if the partner cards for the 6900 can do the 3ghz limit in the bios then they will be complete monsters. But dam expensive ones.

I am still on my old 5820k at 4.5g and a 1080ti, will be wanting a 5900x later next year when the crap prices drop.
    Only the baby one 5600X, but looking at the usage using the Afterburner OSD it's never working hard and the cooler is keeping temps well down. So far I can't see any reason to changes the GPU, it's always coping with what I throw at it to be honest. Will have to see how it goes, not many games in the ray tracing list are on my list at the moment.

I've got CPU-Z and GPU-Z installed and you can log the GPU sensors, but not the CPU. It'd be good to monitor the CPU speed if you've got any suggestions?

Rides
    The baby one lol, the 5600s is a small monster - always been that way, the 2600and 3600 were the same.

What cooler is it?PBO and using the curve tuner can squeeze a lot more out of it - some of those 5600 get close to 5Ghz.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sideways14a View Post
    The baby one lol, the 5600s is a small monster - always been that way, the 2600and 3600 were the same.

What cooler is it?PBO and using the curve tuner can squeeze a lot more out of it - some of those 5600 get close to 5Ghz.
    It's got the 360mm cooler which is labelled up as a cooler master, but the system as a whole incl the block is sold as Cyberpower. For the cheapness I asked for 6 fans, why not huh? That means it's got 3 x 120mm RGB on the outside of the cooler,, 3 x 120mm normal on the inside of the cooler, 1 x 120mm in the bottom, 1 in the back and 1 in the top LOL. It's a bit like a Chinook on take off

I'm not sure how to check the peak speed of the CPU during use, I've seen it up around 4850. Temp I can check through GPU-Z, that's max'd out at 48°C

Rides

Last edited by Drifter; 29-12-2020 at 15:48.

Rides
    This might mean something

https://valid.x86.fr/my8af2

Rides
    If you want to try tuning it (ie remap in car language) then the 5600x does has some headroom.
    AMD tends to let there CPU's run to as high a boost speed as possible within TDP (power) and thermal headroom. With a nice fat cooler like that (which is similar to mine on my 5820k, 6 fans in a push pull config on the rad and a further 3 in the case) the cpu will boost quite high even on its own.

However there are still more in the tank.
    Look on overclockers forum for curve optimiser, it can under volt (yes lowering the voltage can increase the speed) and over clock and its quite easy to use as its designed to take the hard work out of Zen overclocking.
    Then there is the memory, ram speed on zen is a biggie. If you can get the infinity fabric to run 1:1 with ram speed your getting big jumps in speed - yes its fast as **** the now but so are all our cars and we still made them faster.

Try the curve optimiser the now, use cinibench R20 for benchmarking single and multi core performance and see what happens.

And no it wont blow up, in all my years of overclocking and over volting ect i have only killed one cpu and that was intentionally. It was nearly 20 years ago we had an old Celeron (the original in the P2 slot config) started off at 300Mhz, i got it to 450 but with some stability issues, then i cut the pin on the slot that controls the voltage selections and i got infinite (cough) volts available - so i shoved something like 8v at 20 amps through this thing and melted the solder so it dripped down the vertical slot and shorted out the whole thing... yeah that was a laugh.

Rides
    Very brief play just now. Set the PBO as enabled in the bios, just using Ryzen Master before which doesn't seem to have the same effect. Cinebench score was 4553, CPU-Z https://valid.x86.fr/pwwc9h

I've delved into the bios looking for the curve optimizer but it's not listed so thought it might be old bios version. Looking on the web I've got the latest BETA one https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/supp...0-GAMING-PLUS/

Rides
    Curve optimiser is also available as an application but there was chat of it being added officially by AMD.
    So i assume your using R20 on the benchmark, so 4553 is a decent wee uplift from the circa late 4390s to early 45xx's to be honest, and you didnt do much to get it either. Remember the old 3700x which was a big boss chip last year does near 4800 so your not far from that, and you have a 6 core while the 3700x is an 8 lol.
    Not bad at all mate.

Also a 9900k stock (i think) is only a couple of hundred points higher, again on a much more expensive and 8 core chip. Those 6 core Zen3s can kick f'kin ass

Remember ram as well as infinity fabric, i see some websites with nominal mods pushing these things easily to early 4700s... thats shifting ... a lot. Mind and check the single core speed, thats why the curve optimiser is so good.
    For instance a stock 5600 on pbo with good cooling could see very high single core speeds but a static overclock to say 4.6ghz or so would maybe be lower than a stock one just boosting one or two cores to 4.7 or 4.8

Heck folk have seen the 12 core parts doing 5.2 and more for brief moments. Good cooling on a 12 core Zen3 and maybe a solid 4.8 or so ghz is mental.