Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gaming PC options

Rides

Gaming PC options

Quote Originally Posted by sideways14a View Post
    Intels 14nm stickiness and 10nm woes are hilarious.

Ok they have "some" 10nm chips but they are 4 core and igp rubbish, yes icelake and rocketlake ect have a decent ipc uplift but i dont think its enough to reach Zen3, heck it is lucky to beat Zen2.
    Plus the clocks aint there, 10nm parts seem to be lower by about 300mhz

AMD meanwhile are on a mature 7nm node which while similar to intels 10nm is actually quite mature now and doing really good yields.

So... intel hot and power hungry 28core cpu's or AMDs massively powerful 64core Threadripper at 4.5Ghz......

Hmm this is close.. as in miles apart.
    You do realise the nm nomenclature is mainly a marketing thing.

AMD’s 7nm node is manufactured by TSMC using one of TSMC’s 7nm processes (7HPC compared with 7SOC)

Intel’s 10nm process is actually denser than TSMC’s 7HPC and more akin to their 7SOC process

And you also have to remember, adding more cores will not necessarily mean a game runs faster as most games don’t scale with core counts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Asht_200; 19-09-2020 at 08:02.

Rides
    This is pretty much true bar a few details, intels bolloxed 10nm is quite close to the TSMC's base 7nm - but both company's have improved there litho and have various "improved" versions.

However intel have struggled with the initial 10nm project, it was simply bolloxed.
    The higher performing tsmc 7nm lines are a bit better than intels 10nm, but at the end of the day all the nanometre talk is just marketing. Ok there is a bit of science and actual engineering in it but a good 10nm design can be better than a duff 7nm one.

However Intel have a few issues, one is that tsmc's 7nm lines (of various flavours) are quite good, secondly intels 10nm was appalling and while it is on a rehab course to improve its still a bit of a shower of facies. Look at rocket lake. tiger lake and ice lake - all exceptionally ... average... with tiger lake... iirc being limited to a quad core, prob due to heat, power and all likelihood pish yields.

So yes adding more cores doesnt always net you a gaming win, however the two main consoles are going 8 / 16 (not always using SMT) and are Zen2 engines so the next few years of gaming will favour AMD designs.

Zen3 is now creating some news and chat is.... its a fooking monster and will wipe out the current zen2 and intel designs like swatting a fly.
    As for big navi... only AMD knows but it sure as hell cannot be less of a hard on than Ampere which is ... er above average which is about the most i can say about it.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Asht_200 View Post
    Try getting a 3080

https://gizmodo.com/an-rtx-3080-grap...-IRC55hzllisiQ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Fook me, I didn’t want to pay the normal price to be honest!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    So with all the new stuff out and available I've taken another look at this...

https://www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk/s...5-TI-Gaming-PC

I'm not sure if that will list what I've changed so...

Case: NZXT H511 Mid-Tower Gaming Case w/ Tempered Glass Window panel (Matte Black)
    Case Upgrades (Fans and Lighting): None Selected
    CPU (Processor): AMD Ryzen 5 5600X - 6-Core 3.70GHz, 4.6GHz Turbo - 32MB L3 Cache Processor, Pro OC
    Compatible (No On-board Graphics)
    CPU Freebies: None
    CPU Overclocking: No Overclocking
    CPU Cooling: Cooler Master Masterliquid Lite 120 Liquid Cooling System w/ 120mm Radiator, Extreme OC
    Compatible (Cooler Master CPU Water Cooling, Extreme OC Compatible)
    Coolant for Cyberpower Hyper Liquid II Cooling Kit: None Selected
    Second Coolant for Cyberpower Hyper Liquid II Cooling Kit (Dual Loop Only): None Selected
    Motherboard: MSI B550-A PRO: ATX w/ RGB, USB 3.1, SATA3, 2x M.2
    Memory (RAM): 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4/4000mhz Dual Channel Memory [+63] (HyperX Predator w/Heat Spreader)
    Graphics Card (GPU): MSI GeForce® RTX 3070 8GB - Ray Tracing Technology, DX12®, VR Ready, HDMI, DP - 4
    Monitor Support (Single Card)

Graphics Card Freebies: 1-Year GeForce Now Founders Membership
    Video Capture: None Selected
    PSU (Power Supply): Corsair CV650 650W 80+ Bronze Gaming Power Supply
    PSU Braided Cable: None Selected
    Solid State Drive (SSD): None Selected
    M.2 SSD Drive: 1TB (1x1TB) WD Blue SN550 M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD - 2400MB/s Read & 1950MB/s Write [+51] (Single
    Drive)

2nd M.2 SSD Drive: None Selected
    Hard Drive (HDD & SSHD): None Selected [-37]

So basically it's the new AMD, albeit the bottom spec, new RTX3070, 4000mhz ram to work with the max of the CPU (?) and ditched the HDD and replaced with 1TB SSD.

Thoughts from the gurus?

Rides
    Dont pull on that 3070 just yet... wait for the big navi reviews as they are supposed to be excellent this time round.

But the rest look good, i see your going for the 550 motherboard... not want a 570? or does the extra features not really sell it for you?

Rides
    TBH I did look at the 5700XT which is a few quid cheaper. Only check I did was on a bench mark website which implied the 3070 was the better choice and said something about the 5700 overheating, but I guess that's down to install.

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compar...-XT/4083vs4045

On the mother board, that's beyond my knowledge so open to recommendations tbh. There's a few options...

ASUS Prime X570-P: ATX w/ RGB, PCIe 4.0, USB 3.2, SATA3, 2x M.2 +£14
    ASUS TUF GAMING X570-Plus: ATX w/ RGB, PCIe 4.0, USB 3.2, SATA3, 2x M.2 +£48
    ASUS ROG Strix X570-F Gaming: ATX w/ RGB, PCIe 4.0, USB 3.2, SATA3, 2x M.2 +£97
    ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero: ATX w/ RGB, PCIe 4.0, USB 3.2, SATA3, 2x M.2 +£201
    MSI X570-A Pro: ATX w/ RGB, PCIe 4.0, USB 3.2, SATA3, 2x M.2 +£19
    MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus: ATX w/ RGB, PCIe 4.0, USB 3.2, SATA3, 2x M.2 +£29
    MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge WIFI: ATX w/ RGB, PCIe 4.0, USB 3.2, SATA3, 2x M.2 +£48
    MSI MPG X570 Gaming Pro Carbon WIFI: ATX w/ RGB, PCIe 4.0, USB 3.2, SATA3, 3x M.2 +£77
    MSI MEG X570 ACE: ATX w/ RGB, PCIe 4.0, USB 3.2, SATA3, 3x M.2 +£159
    Last edited by Drifter; 07-11-2020 at 15:54.

Rides
    Doh, just realized the 5700 is the old card

Rides
    RDNA2 cards from AMD will likely beat or at least be similar on performance going by leeks.

Rides
    In the same boat, waiting for 6800xt rdna2 card, but have a *pre ordered* 3080 since sept 17th at 3:15pm, probably going to sell it if it ever turns up.
    Managed to get lucky the other day with a 5800x as I don't plan on doing much CAD work mostly gaming and the price was ok on scan compared with overchargers =/ who still have my money for the 3080.

Wish I had held off on the memory and got some 4000 like yourself as I ended up getting 3600 cl16 back in september.... been using a computer without a gpu since then and i need games in my life, ive not even used my spare time to work on my cars lol.

Best of luck with the build.

Rides
    May as well wait another couple of weeks, I do like the idea of 16gb ram on the GPU.

I've tweaked the above to have a 570 board, betters fans and a 750W PSU, current cost from Cyberpower is £1630.

Rides
    Chat is that memory offers some major increase in zen3, not just like 4k match IF ect but actually running 2 or 4 sticks.
    Some are now saying 4 is pushing major increase over 2 sticks, even though AM4 is still dual channel ddr4

It could be linked to the memory ranks and that the memory controller can read and write different ranks if you have more of them...

Upshot of this, HOLD FIRE ON YOUR RAM for the next few days at least, this one seems to have legs on it.

Rides
    am I ever going to order something

A few days is similar to waiting the new GPU so no bother.

Rides
    Just wait for clarification, there is legit data point out as much as 10% just using 4 sticks but you have to choose the right ones.

I mean, 10% on top of an already mental fast chip is just the icing on the cake.

Rides
    And we're back

So the final piece of the puzzle has arrived with the RX6800XT, so we now have...

Case: NZXT H511 Mid-Tower Gaming Case w/ Tempered Glass Window panel (Matte Black)
    Case Upgrades (Fans and Lighting): None Selected
    CPU (Processor): AMD Ryzen 5 5600X - 6-Core 3.70GHz, 4.6GHz Turbo - 32MB L3 Cache Processor, Pro OC
    CPU Cooling: Cooler Master Masterliquid Lite 120 Liquid Cooling System w/ 120mm Radiator, Extreme OC
    Compatible (Cooler Master CPU Water Cooling, Extreme OC Compatible)
    Coolant for Cyberpower Hyper Liquid II Cooling Kit: None Selected
    Second Coolant for Cyberpower Hyper Liquid II Cooling Kit (Dual Loop Only): None Selected
    Motherboard: MSI X750-A PRO: ATX w/ RGB, PCIe 4.0, USB 3.2, SATA3, 2x M.2
    Memory (RAM): 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4/4000mhz Dual Channel Memory [+63] (HyperX Predator w/Heat Spreader)
    Graphics Card (GPU): AMD RX6800XT 16Gb
    Monitor Support (Single Card)
    PSU (Power Supply): Corsair CV750 750W 80+ Bronze Gaming Power Supply
    PSU Braided Cable: None Selected
    Solid State Drive (SSD): None Selected
    M.2 SSD Drive: 1TB (1x1TB) WD Blue SN550 M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD - 2400MB/s Read & 1950MB/s Write [+51] (Single
    Drive)
    2nd M.2 SSD Drive: None Selected
    Hard Drive (HDD & SSHD): None Selected [-37]

I'm going to have to get the moonshine out before I press the buy button, now standing at £1860

Rides
    120mm rad, nope not on Ryzen imho. Not that they run hot or use a lot of power like intels latest crap, but the colder you get Zen3 the more it boosts so see if you can spill to a dual or triple width 3 fan job - i have one of those with 3 front and 3 rear in a push pull config for my cpu on its own and thats a lowly 5820k from yonks back but it keeps cool under shit loads of volts and a massive OC. You keep Zen3 cool and it will do 5ghz plus easily (silicon lottery accepted of course)

Imho 16gb, bit pikey -try for 32. But then if this is just a gaming box the 6 core 5600x and 16gb of ram aint too bad, but i would go for 32 if poss and use an 8 core (not that the 5600 is shite ... its epic)
    GPU, the 6800x has shown some good reviews, in lower resolutions where most game its a monster even taking the massive NV 3090 out for a fight sometimes and that is a BIG card. Ok its raytracing aint brilliant but its still higher than the 2080ti and RT is still **** even on the 3090 so....
    You may want to hold fire on the 6800xt and get the 6800 instead, chat is it "could" be flashable to the 6800xt - this has happened before with the 5700 and 5700xt and i did it with both the 4050/4070 and Fury (flashing it to a fury X) so .... keep one eye on this. Partner cards out next week i think, some might hit 2.5ghz which is mental on a GPU.

Rest seems fine, i might have gone with a Samsung M.2 but... other than that.

Rides
    Hold up, I only changed the MB and the GPU from the last spec

Rides
    Right then

240mm cooler is a mere £8 more. I've included a triple case fan kit, for another £9 I can have 6 of the fuckers.

It is purely gaming, no video capture or cad etc so if the 5600x and 16gb Ram is good I'll stick to that. Rams easy enough to add in later if need be.

Dropping to the 6800 saves £60, 3070 saves another £40, but has half the Gb.

http://www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk/saved/2495146
    Last edited by Drifter; 18-11-2020 at 18:50.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
    Hold up, I only changed the MB and the GPU from the last spec
    Yeah but i didnt read it all cos...lazy

Rides

Gaming PC options

Lol, cos drunk more likely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    5600 is a proper mighty mouse, well hardly a mouse.. more of a lion.
    But as for the cooler, yeah try and go BIG - most cpu's and users dont need a 3 wide rad and associated cooling but if you want the most out of either the latest Intel or AMD cpu's the colder you keep em the faster they run.
    I have seen some ridicules 5.2ghz 12 core and 16 core boost clocks claimed (ok all core clocks on a 16 core will of course have to be lower than single cores but hell the 5950x is able to do 4.7ghz all core ... thats F mental. It can also do 5.2Ghz on just a couple of cores.
    Similar to Intels latest except they have much high IPC and more cores.

The 6 core 12thread chip though is the sweet spot, its going to knock down everything you throw at it - heck its almost as fast as Zen2's 3700 which is an 8 core 16 thread part and was also very highly thought of.
    Hope to see you get a nice fat OC of maybe 4.7 GHz all core, with the curve optimiser and other bios tweeks you could see turbos up to 5Ghz on it easily.

Someone did a study on the ipc of Zen3 v's an older but still heavily used intel gaming cpu such as the 6 core 8600k and 9600 - it turns out you would need nearly 6ghz on the 8600k to draw level with the 5600x at stock.

Thats some grunt.