Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gaming PC options

Rides

Gaming PC options

Looking to dive into the world of gaming PCs to replace my PS4. I知 looking at games like Automobilsta 2 for sim racing and FPS eg Far Cry series.

I知 tempted by this from Chillblast

https://www.chillblast.com/chillblas...ategory_id=781

Which looks to run just about anything, my only question is if the i5-9700K is up to it? AMS2 suggests i9-9900K for preferred spec.

I知 pretty lost with all the CPU options so any advice would be great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    Do not buy a 9700 it is not a great cpu, in fact most of intels current and last gen line up are all a waste of sand.

Ryzen is currently the boss on the cpu street - yes "some" intel cpus can ... if you clock the four X out of them push more fps... buts its like 5% at best.

Get a 3600 or 3700x (6 core/12 thread or 8 core 16 thread) and have one of the fastest gaming cpu's plus monstrous application performance.
    The 2070 super is a solid video card choice, apart from 2 problems - one its just going EOL as the 3xxx series from Nvidia is out ... er in a few weeks and the 3070 will be much much faster (although prob cost a bit more) the other problems is that AMDs 5700xt is straight up near identical in performance and a lot cheaper.

Finally AMD is due to release not only there next gen cpu Zen3 (the 4000 series, not to be confused with there 4xxx APUs) but RDNA2 based video cards are due to drop in the next 6 or so weeks.

Buying now is a waste of money imho.
    Also that 256gb SSD is utter bollocks - get a 1tb m.2 SSD which is going to be about the same as that 256gb + 2Tb spinner, a single 1tb drive will be much better.
    ....also 2666Mhz DDR4, jeez.... cheep as...

In short i recon your spec listed there is dogshit.

Soz

Rides
    I re read that and realised the wording at the end is a bit difficult.

What i meant to say is its really horsey shit. (and more importantly using EOL products)

Rides
    That痴 exactly the sort of insight I was looking for tbh. That was not a spec I made on the website, it痴 just one of their stock builds.

I値l stick to the console, saves me 」1300

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    Careful there, I know Chillblast seem to have a bad reputation amongst the computer literate because what they offer isn't the best value for money, but what they do offer is a 'turn key' solution for people that don't want to have to do all the research and put something together themselves.

Rides
    Have to admit the last time I had anything to do with upgrading/building a PC it was to increase the ram to 1mb, yes that is mb not gb!

My method is, click the website, click next day PC's, choose in the price range. I have seen this though which is more like Sideways suggestion...

https://www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk/s...ra-7-XT-SY1284

Only question is do I still wait. I get the feeling if I wait a few months and ask the question again we'll be on the verge of new parts being available so you always seem to be waiting for the next big thing?
    Last edited by Drifter; 14-09-2020 at 10:27.

Rides
    So what are we looking at here...
    Its got the big 3700x which is as solid a cpu as you can get thesedays, plus its on water with a 120mm rad - Zen2 is mighty efficient so that water cooler will let pbo go for it with clocks (if you turn that on) so all good there.
    3000Mhz ram, ok not the best but not bad either... personally i would like to go for 3400 or 3600 and try and run the infinity fabric at 1-1 ratio.... ok this is overclocking nitty gritty so ignore me.

5700xt video card, about the same as the 2070 super and decent. Remember nvidia and amd have new cards out soon (as well as cpu's) so....
    Inwin 650w psu is a little stingy, personally i would want a 750 - look at nvidias new video cards.. 320 and 350w tdps on them ....

Rides
    If it's not an nvidia 3xxx video card (which are coming out over the next month), don't buy right now. The 3xxxs are a big performance leap from the 2xxx and the same prices (actually, they're cheaper). 3080 or 3070 for gaming.

CPU, sideways is right, and I'd pick AMD. As games get better at running on many cores (and they will, because that's what the next gen of consoles are), the AMDs will pull away.

Rides
    Zen 3 is gonna come in and bust up the cpu place big style, heck Zen2 is nearly perfect (latency and clocks withstanding)

Dunno what the RDNA2 cards from AMD are going to be like, however nvidia thinks they will be fast... how do i know this?

Look at the pricing and tdp of the 3080......

Rides
    I agree, Next AMD gfx cards could be good (the consoles sharing architecture seem very capable!). But if I wanted a PC *right now*, I think I could wait a week for a 3080 but AMD is unknown and further away

Rides
    Cheers guys, I think regarding the new tech it'll depend on how they play out price wise. Found this for AMS2 using the Ryzen 7 and RTX2070...

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...?id=2044127958

If the new GPUs come into the systems at a reasonable price then it's worth the wait, depends if its a custom as when I press checkout, I want it the next day lol

Rides
    If you cannot wait then yeah go for it, but you will regret it.

Consoles are all AMD now, have been for a while and the basic spec of both the Eggbox and Ps5 are... 8 core 16 thread Zen2 APU's with RDNA2 graphics (plus some...additional stuff)

Personally i would wait till the bench marks are in for the 3xxx series from nvidia and at least let AMD show something.

Rides
    Looks like the AMD stuff is out October according to Google. I can wait, it's more that if all this new shizniz is going to cost more than I want to spend. Looks like the 3070 is okay on price so hopefully it won;t increase that much.

Rides
    You could get a good quality AM4 board and pair it with a quad core Zen2 chip, then when the next gens drop pick up something with more baws
    Remember AMDs AM4 takes from a dual core to 16 core chips - the sweet spot is the 12 core.

Rides
    Looking through this it does amaze me how much AMD has come along in the last 3 or 4 years.
    Bulldozer was a pile of excrement, there was some decent video cards (290 and 290x for instance, wont hear a bad word against them) but for the whole AMD was in shit street.

Then Zen... what a massive improvement, but its since then that really has made the difference.
    AMD had a good product in Zen1, a decent improvement in zen + but Zen2 kicked arse hard. The 16 core cpu batters Intels very expensive HEDT cpu line so hard they gave up.
    Then there is the server line up which is up to 64 cores and 128 threads on a single chip - a monster.

Then they released threadripper - which is basically godzilla.
    No wonder they went from 2$ a share to what... 60 odd now?

Rides
    Intel ran into a wall about 6 years ago and have been stagnant ever since. AMD is doing well, helped that their direct competition is having a dreadful time.

Rides
    Intels 14nm stickiness and 10nm woes are hilarious.

Ok they have "some" 10nm chips but they are 4 core and igp rubbish, yes icelake and rocketlake ect have a decent ipc uplift but i dont think its enough to reach Zen3, heck it is lucky to beat Zen2.
    Plus the clocks aint there, 10nm parts seem to be lower by about 300mhz

AMD meanwhile are on a mature 7nm node which while similar to intels 10nm is actually quite mature now and doing really good yields.

So... intel hot and power hungry 28core cpu's or AMDs massively powerful 64core Threadripper at 4.5Ghz......

Hmm this is close.. as in miles apart.

Rides
    Well you've lost me on all that

Looking at the new Nvidia cards I can't see me splashing out on the 3080, more like the 3070 which is due end of October? Which conveniently looks to be the same time as AMD may release their new stuff. I can wait til then, my lack of patience only comes in after I've paid for it

Rides
    I stepped away from pc gaming about 15 years ago. And have afforded some awesome holidays since.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
    Well you've lost me on all that

Looking at the new Nvidia cards I can't see me splashing out on the 3080, more like the 3070 which is due end of October? Which conveniently looks to be the same time as AMD may release their new stuff. I can wait til then, my lack of patience only comes in after I've paid for it
    Try getting a 3080

https://gizmodo.com/an-rtx-3080-grap...-IRC55hzllisiQ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro