Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Nissan Z

Rides

New Nissan Z

A bit of topic, but what do you think of the new Z project?

https://www.thenissannext.com/en/z-proto.html

Rides
    Engine

Looks: torn between

Just a bit..... bland? Maybe?

I mean don't get me wrong if it looked like a Juke I'd be but it's got obvious styling cues mixed in with generic modern car persona. It just strikes me as a bit confused.

Rides
    I think it just needs to be more refined before the production, just like the supra and it looked better, the manual transmission is a big boost think it will help them with sales also.

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

Rides
    It looks like it came out of Grand Theft Auto 5. Generic front to back.

Rides
    I like it, shame they aren't going to sell it over here.

However, there’s bad news for the UK and mainland Europe: the as-yet-unnamed new model won’t be offered for sale here. In a statement sent to Autocar, Nissan cited a “shrinking European sports car market and specific regulations on emissions” as the reasons why it was “unable to build a viable business case” for the car’s European release.

Rides
    I think as an initial prototype, it's pretty good - the grille & lights at the front aren't to my taste - I quite like it once it's gets behind the front lights.
    white '94 s13 200sx scrapped - mapped to 1.45bar. OS giken box, garrett GT2876R, 950cc injectors, ORC twin plate, nistune. 349bhp/325lbft @ 1.3bar CA18DET
    white '96 s13 180sx - type g with more kouki bits - RB25DET, GTR steel twin turbo conversion, RB26 crank & rods. 2.6L VVT twin turbo, SR20 OSG box, OSG STR twin plate clutch, Z32 ECU w/ nistune.

current status: 180 a bit broken but to be repaired.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Actual_Ben_Taylor View Post
    I like it, shame they aren't going to sell it over here.

However, there’s bad news for the UK and mainland Europe: the as-yet-unnamed new model won’t be offered for sale here. In a statement sent to Autocar, Nissan cited a “shrinking European sports car market and specific regulations on emissions” as the reasons why it was “unable to build a viable business case” for the car’s European release.
    Not that I could buy it but that's a kick in the fud

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Actual_Ben_Taylor View Post
    And thus, most likely, by the time it becomes affordable to import to Europe it'll be unobtainium levels of unaffordable.

Rides
    Side view I like. Front, don't like the lights so much. Rear... well, looks like the mishmash of ideas that it is.

Rides
    Chatting last night with some friends, I wonder how hard it will be to get them here.

We appear to be all aboard the No Deal Brexit train, which means that at the end of the year we may very well have unrecognised vehicle standards in this country (even if the foundations are the same as the European ones we are part of now), so that might very well mean importers, at least in the immediate future, would have to IVA them.

Rides
    Surely now is a great time to revive the S-body line?

They can't sell a V6 turbo car in Europe due to emissions, so a smaller vehicle with a smaller turbo engine is just the ticket?

Rides
    If we're sticking to our current plans, anything that isn't hybrid has a short shelf life and we seem to keep moving the target date closer and closer. Even hybrids aren't going to last all that long. If you want a new car to be in the market for 10+ years, it doesn't really make sense in the UK/EU if it's not an EV.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by stoofer View Post
    If we're sticking to our current plans, anything that isn't hybrid has a short shelf life and we seem to keep moving the target date closer and closer. Even hybrids aren't going to last all that long. If you want a new car to be in the market for 10+ years, it doesn't really make sense in the UK/EU if it's not an EV.
    Oh I don't think it's that bad, the rules will mandate hybrid components to all ICE vehicles, but it's not going to be the end of ICE for a long time. You should see what Mahle are doing with ICE at the moment.

Got plenty of life in it yet.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by stoofer View Post
    The problem is the governments aspiration is for everyone to have EV, but the technology isn't there yet and neither is the infrastructure.

They are definitely trying to jump the gun and it's just gunna implode big style.

Rides
    I don't think tech or infrastructure is what's holding EV's back. It's customer attitudes.

The expectation is that a car is a vessel that can be refilled with energy within a few minutes and travel for 500/600 miles on a whim. Regardless if they actually intend to do that range.

Electric cars, for the foreseeable future, are never going to be able to mimic that behaviour. There is always going to be a charge time.

So the consumer almost needs re-educating as to what it means to own a car.

Rides
    Fcuk reeducating the customer. Its a massive backward step that doesn't need to be taken. Its just lazy.

Its funny that we have the infrastructure in place to ship enough go-juice around the country (and the world) to allow everyone to be pretty certain that they won't get stranded when that fuel is a highly volatile resource that needs shipping in lorries but we can't find a way to ship electricity around the country....oh, wait a minute, we do !

So the only problem to solve is to remove the "wait time" to get the electricity into the car.

Hmmmm, let's see. What do I do when my torch's battery runs out ? Well, I just swap out the drained batteries and put a new set in and put the old ones on charge.

And what about when I'm going camping so can't just delve into the draw for a new set ? I just buy a new set at a .............petrol station

Oh the cost ! The cost ! I hear you wail. Just rent the fecking batteries. Manufacturers would need to define a plug-and-play standard for batteries but its not like that hasn't been done before.

The problem is not unsolvable. If they introduced pitstops into formula E, it would soon be solved.

Rides
    I don't think anyone said it's unsolvable, and battery swapping is being pioneered by NIO on the ES8.

But it's not yet viable or practical. Not unless all manufacturers were to have their own bespoke swap stations or all manufacturers were to commit to the same vehicle underbodies and the same battery footprints. Car batteries are not AAs and defining a plug and play standard makes it sound simple. It isn't.

In the meantime, changing the customer attitude is something that I really think the trade has to work on. Most people don't drive 200 miles in a trip, or even a day. But the panic of "what if I had to" will always mean a reliance on chemical energy.

Rides
    I wouldn’t buy an electric car, it’s an manufacturer and government scheme that I won’t be falling for.

They are mining for lithium and the like for batteries at an alarming rate, how is that green or good for the environment?

Hydrogen powered cars is the best hope in my opinion. I’ll stick to petrol until then.

Rides
    I'm not pro-electric car, but look at that "study". In what other context would a comparison between a $150,000 executive saloon and a sub $15,000 City Mini be valid?

Rides
    It doesn't matter what punters think. If you're Nissan (or whoever), do you gamble that an ICE engine you start developing now will be legal in 10 years? Goalposts keep moving, R&D is expensive.