Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Because Fishing and Sovreignty

Rides
    Rik Mayall predicted Brexit in 2002

https://www.indy100.com/article/rik-...s-cnut-9717566

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    I think you're confusing Liam Fox & David Frost.
    You're right, my mistake.

The Good Friday agreement has nothing to do with the movement of goods across the NI/Eire border.
    Edited - that's not untrue in the very strictest sense. But TGFA mandates no hard border via a mechanism of EU membership that's written in plain text. No mechanism means no guarantee of no border, and that's the risk to goods. And people may I add.

You are right you must have a border, but how you police that border is entirely up to you.
    I agree, and this is in my opinion what the UK is hoping for. You have to have a border between markets. There's no two ways about it. And have now basically said we won't have one, and I believe that's in the hope that the EU will see it has no option left but to install its own border and then the government will further demonise the EU to the public.

There is no need for a "hard" border with check points unless Eire/EU stick one on their side.
    And you've just made my point for me.

Interestingly enough, we've all heard "take back control of our borders". And apparently we will do this by simply abandoning it, pretending it's not our problem and wait for the EU to police it for us?
    Last edited by piman2k; 05-10-2020 at 06:03.

Rides
    In more developments, it now seems the EU might be throwing the UK car industry under the bus anyway with the 'rules of origin' for UK assembled/manufactured cars. I've been desperately trying to find out how we deal with the rules of origin currently, I would assume that's a benefit of our membership.

But in summary, now deal or no deal, a majority of UK cars currently built here will incur a tariff into the EU because they are not made from predominantly British parts.

This'll absolutely gut electric vehicles too, because most cells come from outside the EU and on purely electric vehicles, they constitute a whole chonk of the vehicle.

Chemical industry has also come back into the limelight now it's absolutely crystal clear that they will have to register every single chemical they make or sell here with the UK REACH system, at an estimated cost of £1 bn to the UK economy, without any benefits whatsoever. Literally an admin exercise to duplicate all the registrations. Worse still that most of the registration data is held with EHCA and there's no path to getting that information if we get no deal, so they will have to recertify everything they do.

Johnson knows this, but is insistent on duplicating the database in REACH. Brilliant.

I am absolutely clutching trying to find a single benefit of Brexit, someone needs to help me here because I'm about a week away from a mental breakdown.

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by piman2k View Post
    I am absolutely clutching trying to find a single benefit of Brexit, someone needs to help me here because I'm about a week away from a mental breakdown.
    We can make our own legislation, even if its against international law. If we had handled it correctly we might have saved some money as a country, we probably will have greater border control and we can get rid of any employment, human rights or environmental law that we decide is hampering us as a nation.
    We can change immigration policy to suit us (not sure the rest of the EU would have agreed to 2m Hong Kong nationals getting UK passports), we can ignore the ECHR .......... whether you consider these to be benefits or not is another story
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by docwra View Post
    We can make our own legislation, even if its against international law. If we had handled it correctly we might have saved some money as a country, we probably will have greater border control and we can get rid of any employment, human rights or environmental law that we decide is hampering us as a nation.
    We can change immigration policy to suit us (not sure the rest of the EU would have agreed to 2m Hong Kong nationals getting UK passports), we can ignore the ECHR .......... whether you consider these to be benefits or not is another story
    Not forgetting that if we want to trade with the EU, we would still have to implement some EU regulations...

Rides
    Mixed signals coming out of the media over the last couple of days about big progress being made in the talks. Sounds encouraging.

For me though, if this rules of origin thing comes legit, then it's over.

Most of my interest in Brexit has been economic, specifically targetting the auto industry because this is my life.

Tariffs on a large whack of UK cars deal or no deal unless a majority (unspecified yet) of the car is UK parts (and I hope I'm reading right when I see EU parts as being included) kills me.

It's a disaster for Nissan and Toyota with their current lines, I'm certain it'll kill Sunderland.

It's also a disaster for electric vehicle manufacturers in the UK because most of the bits that go into batteries come from China, South Korea and Japan.

The market in auto is already candidate lead thanks to lay offs from McLaren, Triumph, JCB, Vauxhall and soon to be Ford when Bridgend winds down. So a year into Brexit there'll be a shit tonne of well paid jobs chopped out of the economy.

But we can all go and be fishermen.
    Last edited by piman2k; 07-10-2020 at 06:44.

Rides
    The rules of origin agreements has been in practice for years and is a WTO ruling however the rules are decided by the country or bloc doing the importing. That country may decide if an item is assembled in the exporter, then it originates from the exporter.

It’s only important if a no deal is struck and we trade using WTO rules

Rides
    That's not what's being said in the news. The news is currently reporting that even in the case of a Free Trade Deal with the EU, the EU will not consider Japanese and Turkish components (more to come) in the British allocation for rules of origin.

Rides
    That's not what's being said in the news. The news is currently reporting that even in the case of a Free Trade Deal with the EU, the EU will not consider Japanese and Turkish components (more to come) in the British allocation for rules of origin.
    Thats interesting because under the 2006 agreement with Turkey, industrial and agricultural items assembled in Turkey, article 2 appears to waiver items that were only assembled in Turkey.

There doesn’t appear there is said agreement.

Whoever thought getting an excellent deal with the EU was an idiot. They want to make an example to other EU bloc nations

Rides
    There is one thing

What’s the official language of Canada as Ontario is looking to abolish daylight saving time? There were times when the UK considered switching to Central European Time!

Greenwich Mean Time is London. Make the rest of the world get coordinated with the UK. Even if our kids have to get up earlier to go to school, or alter the timetable

Please don’t tell me you are siding with the onion smelling , frog eating those little gun dropping during the war, small hatchback loving (condoms are an alternative name for their ..... letters) who have been pissed for centuries. Because Universal Coordinated Time is synchronised to Greenwich (we all know the English speaking allowed the French to have it called”Universel Temps Coordonné” but time is synced to a place in London, England which isn’t in France....

Rides
    The new farming framework gets voted on on Monday, so we'll find out just how comitted to not lowering our food standards for trade the government is.

Statement from a government spokes person said, quote:

This government has been clear it will not sign a trade deal that will compromise on our high environmental protection, animal welfare and food standards, and claims to the contrary are unhelpful scaremongering.
    and this, this bit is pure gold

Chlorinated chicken and hormone injected beef are not permitted for import into the UK. This will be retained through the EU Withdrawal Act and enshrined in UK law at the end of the transition period.
    Phew, I'm glad it's in there then. Because our government would absolutely never violate that...

Rides
    And this, this is amazing. Johnson interviewing with the BBC here saying referring to border disruption, saying that hauliers need to understand things are going to be different (they do, but the government won't and can't tell them what it's going to be like) after the transition and that it will be a bit of "extra faff".

Extra Faff!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-kent-54393839

The man is decoupled from the real world

Rides
    The new farming framework gets voted on on Monday, so we'll find out just how comitted to not lowering our food standards for trade the government is.

Phew, I'm glad it's in there then. Because our government would absolutely never violate that...
    To be fair...,

The EU can’t hide behind their rules about quality for ever.

Why not start with the biggest example.

New variant CJD. Was a massive impact to the British Beef industry. Would you like to know how it started? A US animal feed company wanted to test out a new animal food that they had created in their French laboratory. This animal feed used ground up sheep and beef bones to feed to a naturally herbivore animal.... look to us average humans most of us would have realised this would be a bad idea

Who would be an easy target to test it on? The British and I don t have to tell any of you what happened after that. Images of cattle staggering around and humans in an almost vegetative state.

The EU love to go on about their rules (some of them are a good idea) but they aren’t very good at enforcing them. Dieselgate springs to mind

Rides
    But again, how's that relevant to our governments attitude and track record?

Rides
    But again, how's that relevant to our governments attitude and track record?
    That they are mainly based around their own self interest and not the greater good

Rides
    Off topic but in sticking with Ash's point about the government being out to look after their own.

PPE MEDPRO. Incorporated 12th May 2020. Total value of shares, £100.

Just awarded a £110 million contract for PPE.

Rides
    Off topic but in sticking with Ash's point about the government being out to look after their own.

PPE MEDPRO. Incorporated 12th May 2020. Total value of shares, £100.

Just awarded a £110 million contract for PPE.
    IOM based, and directors are in their first Ltd Co job.

Director 1:
    https://knoxhousetrust.com/member/voirrey-coole/

Director 2:
    https://knoxhousetrust.com/member/anthony-page/

There is a third director but I'm guessing he's capital providing or oversight orientated rather than running the show as he's got 25 odd appointments for everything from real estate to food and drink.

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/po...ontract/08/10/

Well everyone deserves a chance in life, eh?

Rides
    This is it for me, this is the big one. The one I've effectively been dreading.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-54538648

Quote Originally Posted by Article
    The European Union is about to formally reject a UK plea for special allowances for exports of electric cars in a post-Brexit trade deal.

A draft addition to the deal says electric and hybrid cars will only get zero tariffs if a majority of the parts' value is from the two areas.

The draft, seen by the BBC, means that even if there is a deal, some UK car exports to the EU will not be eligible.

And this means tariffs of 10% will apply from January.
    So, and I have to postulate here, it will be tariff access for the UK but tariff free access for the countries within the Union. Which means it'll immediately be cheaper to build your electric vehicles in the EU.

I firmly believe this is the straw that will break the camels back in the UK. And I have to admit, at this point it feels a little bit vindictive of the EU. But they're protecting their industry so who can blame them.

Rides

It begins. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-54506185

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Slamz View Post
    One big problem. We export a lot of meat to Europe. They will have to comfort to their requirements.

Are our politicians really this stupid?