Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Because Fishing and Sovreignty

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by piman2k View Post
    So we officially cancelled our version of Galileo as well the other day. £5bn down the pan, the flagship scheme to stick it to the EU with our own GPS Satellite.

Meanwhile Galileo carries on.

Another Brexit win.
    We also stand to lose the channel tunnel: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...t-b550079.html

Queues of up to 7,000 lorries in Kent with 2 day delays on getting into the EU - perfect for fresh produce and components for JIT production.

And its only going to get worse.
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    The social media response to the trucks situation is astonishing. Full of ‘scare mongering’ and ‘they need ya’ rhetoric, completely missing that it came from Gove.

Only in this government can you have one job, to prepare a country for this, not do it, give no clarity, then write a letter to people telling them they’re not ready and it’s their fault.

Rides
    Seaborne Freight, the company that won a contract for ferrying medical supplies and food in a No Deal Scenario, has gone bust lololol. And it’s done so owing £2 million to creditors.

But fishing.

Rides
    Who was stupid enough to let them have anything on credit?

Rides
    I guess they actually had the contract before it was withdrawn in the face of public protest and their credibility I would imagine evaporated.

Another Brexit success story.

Now the Kent Access Pass (KAP) is official! Truck drivers will have to apply for a KAP to be allowed to drive into Kent to get to the Tunnel or the other crossings. Failure to do so will be enforced via ANPR, fine and I assume not being allowed to make the crossing.

Sounds suspiciously like a border inside the U.K. to me.

But Sovereignty.

Rides
    Now the Kent Access Pass (KAP) is official! Truck drivers will have to
    Is it?

Mr Gove, the Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster, responsible for no-deal planning, wrote to logistics groups with the government's "reasonable worst-case scenario" planning for when the UK leaves the EU's single market and customs union rules on 1 January.
    Is it not just worst case scenario planning, then?

Rides
    I don't think we've got any other scenario on the cards right now do we?

The government has made no noises to indicate a deal is going to be done, we're just being prepared for a no deal rogering.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by R3K1355 View Post
    I don't think we've got any other scenario on the cards right now do we?

The government has made no noises to indicate a deal is going to be done, we're just being prepared for a no deal rogering.
    But even that doesn't necessarily = reasonable worst case scenario for freight through Kent, does it? My take on it, and it was difficult to read between the lines because the hysteria headlines were that it's now an actual thing that actual people have to do from 1/1 whereas, in reality, it would seem - very sensibly I might add - the Govt have made a worst case scenario plan and published it so that people can at least have a think about how stuff will go down, but back into reality no such thing exists, and the presence of a deal or otherwise may not even trigger such a thing to actually exist in the future?

Am I missing something?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by arry View Post
    But even that doesn't necessarily = reasonable worst case scenario for freight through Kent, does it? My take on it, and it was difficult to read between the lines because the hysteria headlines were that it's now an actual thing that actual people have to do from 1/1 whereas, in reality, it would seem - very sensibly I might add - the Govt have made a worst case scenario plan and published it so that people can at least have a think about how stuff will go down, but back into reality no such thing exists, and the presence of a deal or otherwise may not even trigger such a thing to actually exist in the future?

Am I missing something?
    I think you are mate.

The government have demonstrated all kinds of incompetence dealing with pretty much everything.

Brexit - the leave group have pretty much abandoned every promise they made pre referendum. The Scots must feel pissed because they were told the only way they could remain in the EU was to reject independence. They are at risk of not getting a US trade agreement due to the Northern Ireland issue.

Covid-19

Has been a complete shambles (OK it's not entirely their fault because of mongs ignoring the recommendations)

Testing - the ministers have to be told by BBC journos what the real testing numbers are.

Test, track and trace hasn't worked so they are going to implement another system that looks like it won't work.

And at the same time they want to completely shake up the structure of local government by abolishing district and county councils. Which let's face it, will be another cock up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rides
    Can I apply for a Kent Access Pass today?

If I can't, then I'm not.

Rides
    Let me clarify that.

The way it's been reported at headline level is thus (literal copy paste from Al Beeb):

Brexit: Lorry drivers will need a permit to enter Kent after transition period

Paragraph One (literal copy):
    Truck drivers will need a permit to enter Kent after the Brexit transition period ends, the government has said.

The guts of the story are thus (literal copy):
    Mr Gove, the Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster, responsible for no-deal planning, wrote to logistics groups with the government's "reasonable worst-case scenario" planning for when the UK leaves the EU's single market and customs union rules on 1 January.

If that's not disingenuous reporting then I don't know what is. Whether you believe it will happen isn't the same as IT IS OFFICIAL and therefore MUST happen.

Rides

Because Fishing and Sovreignty

Let me clarify that.

The way it's been reported at headline level is thus (literal copy paste from Al Beeb):

Brexit: Lorry drivers will need a permit to enter Kent after transition period

Paragraph One (literal copy):
    Truck drivers will need a permit to enter Kent after the Brexit transition period ends, the government has said.

The guts of the story are thus (literal copy):

If that's not disingenuous reporting then I don't know what is. Whether you believe it will happen isn't the same as IT IS OFFICIAL and therefore MUST happen.
    OK, I get that.

Does that rule apply to European registered HGVs?

Have the government considered they may just switch to using Felixstowe. Will you need a permit to enter Suffolk?

Another well thought out plan by the UK Government

Rides
    The KAP is a legit thing chaps, and even if it's not just for the 'worst case' scenario, it still represents another row of bureaucracy and an effective internal border that we didn't have before.

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    Am I missing something?
    Perhaps the fact that we were assured that we wouldnt ever need to consider anything like this for Ireland, never mind Kent? Worst case scenarios are what people like you and me work on every day, but its rare that they exist because we repeatedly lied to our clients to get their orders.

This is my whole problem with Brexit and the government in general. Rather than making honest statements about negative stuff they either ignore it or make some old bullshit up, in this case people have voted on the basis of the bullshit but even now rather than admit they go it wrong they are trying to save face by lying some more.
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by docwra View Post
    Perhaps the fact that we were assured that we wouldnt ever need to consider anything like this for Ireland, never mind Kent? Worst case scenarios are what people like you and me work on every day, but its rare that they exist because we repeatedly lied to our clients to get their orders.

This is my whole problem with Brexit and the government in general. Rather than making honest statements about negative stuff they either ignore it or make some old bullshit up, in this case people have voted on the basis of the bullshit but even now rather than admit they go it wrong they are trying to save face by lying some more.
    Not got an issue with any part of what you've said but it still doesn't make the KAP an actual real thing and nor does it make the reporting any less disingenuous. That's what irked me.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by docwra View Post

I agree. The dangerous thing is either people believe the bullshit, or make their own bullshit up to prove the government is lying to us... Take the pandemic denyers for example

Rides
    Well you can’t get one yet but the Government itself has confirmed they’re a requirement. I don’t get the doubting?

Rides
    Well you can’t get one yet but the Government itself has confirmed they’re a requirement. I don’t get the doubting?
    Where have the government confirmed that it is an actual requirement, not a potential requirement that may need to come into force IF certain other things happen / don't happen?

Rides
    Actually Gove set out this is a worst case scenario

Rides
    He literally said it at the despatch box.