Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Because Fishing and Sovreignty

Rides
    Predictably, the media are having a field day with this story. And rightly so. It shouldn't matter AT ALL what your referendum politics are, this is WRONG.

I can't pick out which is worse from this list!

• The fact a minister stood up and said the government are going to propose a bill that will knowingly break an international law (The Withdrawal Agreement).
    • The fact that said minister didn't seem at all embarrassed or ashamed of their government for that position
    • The fact that the government is blaming the EU for being intransigent when it's the Governments own bill that was made into this law.
    • The fact that the opposition to this seemed to be nothing more than a few coarse words and will manifest as nothing when the whip is cracked on this.
    • The fact that it will shatter international trust in the UK, effectively messaging globally that we'll make agreements with people and stick to them right up to the point it becomes inconvenient for us
    • The fact that it's just more proof that the Government absolutely cannot be trusted to stick with any of it's promises or claims, which absolutely shatters the trust of businesses looking for a modicum of stability.
    • The fact that some of the Brexit voting public on Facebook seem absolutely fine with all of these things.

Honestly, we are absolutely and categorically fcuked.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by piman2k View Post
    Honestly, we are absolutely and categorically fcuked.
    Got ya the first time

On the last point - I think a lot of the Brexit voting public on Facey couldn't GAF because they're just bored of the gesturing and posturing. Get it done, let's move on, sort of attitude.

Rides
    They should care that our government feels like it's gotten away with so much it now no longer has to masquerade its attempts to break the law.

Rides
    Problem is that in the eyes of the public, and i can see the point here, is that all governments are bent.

So no bugger cares.

Wrong - yes, but its been like that for .... er forever and this is only the latest issue to come out.

Rides
    Yea but think of all the fish.

We'll have as much slimy cod as we could possibly want.

Rides
    Didn’t take the US long to chip in, thing is, the speaker is a democrat and Trump hates her. So another 4 years of Trump night take the wind
    out of her sails. I hope not as I like Pelosi.

https://apple.news/Ag9Evzm31S2isBIwFm65lSw

Rides
    She's not the only one to have made that comment I don't think?

Was it Pompeo said pretty much the same thing a while back?

Rides
    Yeah most of them piped up over the last few months and said that anything that knackers TGFA will stick a spanner in the works of a US trade deal. I don't get America's obsession with Ireland. Not to say TGFA isn't of paramount importance, but the American's are really invested in it too.

Good for us I guess, I hope.

So the internal market bill hasn't got a date for second reading yet, but it must have been sent to it as it's showing up on the Bill Stages tool on the Gov website. What a crock of shit. It's another opportunity to see what Tory MP's value more, their personal professional status (i.e. their job) or their principles. Bearing in mind this is the SAME GOVERNMENT and the SAME MPs that amended and approved the Withdrawal Agreement.

Rides
    I’d just like to throw another spanner in the works.

The NHS are migrating all patient data to the Microsoft Azure cloud. The NHS and the Health department believe that your medical records will be protected from US organisations having access to it because it is protected by the “EU-US Privacy Shield” when in fact the European Court of justice invalidated it on July 16th this year, but it is still full steam ahead.

This isn’t unlawful, it’s plain incompetence at the highest level

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rides
    News is reporting his supposed climb down as some sort of victory, but it isn't.

All he's done is negotiate a position with the Conservative rebels that Parliament would have to actually vote on whether or not to allow him to use the powers, but still writes the powers into law.

So with a majority of 77, not really hard to see how that whip will be cracked.

No Deal Brexit, choo choo!

Rides
    News is reporting that Boris has admitted the government has failed with the Covid testing. 1000s of teachers are unable to go to work because they can’t get tested.

His Brexit agreement is unraveling. Apparently they vote on no deal pretty much the same time Furlough ends, so expect thousands of redundancies just when they decide to kick the public in the teeth when they are down

Priti Patel is supposed to be tough on immigration yet she has one of the south East’s largest immigrant holding areas in her own constituency

Yet Boris says he is the one to “Save Christmas” whatever that means.

It’s a bloody shambles

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Asht_200 View Post
    I’d just like to throw another spanner in the works.

The NHS are migrating all patient data to the Microsoft Azure cloud. The NHS and the Health department believe that your medical records will be protected from US organisations having access to it because it is protected by the “EU-US Privacy Shield” when in fact the European Court of justice invalidated it on July 16th this year, but it is still full steam ahead.

This isn’t unlawful, it’s plain incompetence at the highest level

Incompetence with government IT is not a rare thing, in fact its the defacto standard.

Rides
    Apparently they vote on no deal pretty much the same time Furlough ends, so expect thousands of redundancies just when they decide to kick the public in the teeth when they are down
    Been saying this for months. Furlough ends on October 31st. No extensions.

Boris has called a self imposed deadline of October 15th, but the actual end of the talks is also October 31st.

So on October 31st, when No Deal becomes even more likely than we think it is now (almost certain), that very same day employers will have to decide if they can afford to bring people back at all based on their own forecasts and study of the UKs "formidable" (BJ, 16 Sept 2020) tariff schedule.

November's going to be horrific. Hope you've all been saving

Rides
    Considering GDP dropped 20.4% April to July. It’s going to be horrible.

BoE are also considering negative interest rates for 2021

Rides
    BoE are also considering negative interest rates for 2021
    Good time to re-mortgage?

Ours is coming up soonish, if the economy completely tanks I can't imagine it will be a nice experience.

Rides
    I read in the news that first time buyers are experiencing even higher deposit demands at the moment, not sure how that'll translate to people remortgaging. I have almost 3 years left on a fixed deal for exactly this kind of thing, certainty.

Interest rate remains 0.1% though so that's good, but I expect the banks will raise their rates on a risk basis.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by piman2k View Post
    I read in the news that first time buyers are experiencing even higher deposit demands at the moment, not sure how that'll translate to people remortgaging. I have almost 3 years left on a fixed deal for exactly this kind of thing, certainty.

Interest rate remains 0.1% though so that's good, but I expect the banks will raise their rates on a risk basis.
    The BoE said going to negative rates would make mortgage lending unprofitable, but I’m sure the banks would have a way around it... remember the Libor fixing scandal?

Rides
    I just remortgaged, cheep money...

Rides

Rides
    So we officially cancelled our version of Galileo as well the other day. £5bn down the pan, the flagship scheme to stick it to the EU with our own GPS Satellite.

Meanwhile Galileo carries on.

Another Brexit win.