Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Because Fishing and Sovreignty

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Slamz View Post
    ”Absolutely committed” to making sure our food standards are not compromised.

But we will reject the laws proposed to make sure it happens.

Some people will think this is a win.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by piman2k View Post
    ”Absolutely committed” to making sure our food standards are not compromised.

But we will reject the laws proposed to make sure it happens.

Some people will think this is a win.
    Agree. These are the same people who think Covid is a myth and stopping the economy getting going again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rides
    What makes my head hurt is that the government can be seen, day to day, saying one thing and then acting to another.

Liz Truss saying she'll protect food standards and not use them in a trade negotiation, but then her government rejecting legislation to do exactly that.

Honestly, it's getting me down.

Rides
    We're basically there, I expect an annoucement this week:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-54566897

I swear to fcuking god, look at him, he's smirking.

"Get Ready" is going to be his next slogan. And he never says No Deal, he stays with the "Australia style" spin. Which is no deal.

Rides
    It really concerns me we are rushing in to a no deal that will affect the economy even more than it has been this year.

We will probably be in another Coronavirus “lockdown” situation on January 31st because infection rates and hospital admissions are on the increase, another dent to the economy (we are now running the 2nd highest deficit increase compared to GDP of the G20 nations - just to deal with Covid-19) and they are championing what trade agreements are in place or what are ongoing. Have you seen the list? It’s pitiful!

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/uk-trade...no-deal-brexit

Ryan, you’re in the automotive industry? Didn’t the Japanese base their plants in the UK to gain tariff free access to the EU markets? How long before operations start moving to their EU plants? For example and Correct me if I’m wrong. Renault have a stake in Nissan and the French government have a stake in Renault. How long before the French government start to try and influence a shift in production away from Sunderland? Of course Nissan have stated they have no plans, but when haven’t management said something and done another thing before?

I’m not a politician, but I still believe that with a global pandemic raging that is seriously affecting global economics, a headlong rush into Brexit like headless chickens is the most stupid thing to do.

And to cap it all off, currently it is county councils who request areas shift into Covid alert states - the government wants to shake this up further by abolishing them and switching to several unitary authorities ....

It just beggars belief!

Rides
    That list of deals is pretty much the continuation of ones the EU have, the EU - Canada deal (started 2009 - still not ratified), so it's taken the UK 1 year to pretty much match the EUs progress.

Japanese cars will be tariff free due to the EU-Japan trade deal recently agreed, so while still members the EU shafted the UK based Jap plants, Japanese plants across the EU are also closing.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Asht_200 View Post
    Ryan, you’re in the automotive industry? Didn’t the Japanese base their plants in the UK to gain tariff free access to the EU markets?
    It won't have been the only reason for selection as they could have gone anywhere in the EU, but it will have been a significant factor in their selection of plant location.

How long before operations start moving to their EU plants?
    For Sunderland Nissan, this is a huge question. The site is massive but not irreplaceable, and now, deal or no deal, everything made there will be subject to a tarriff.

Ashwani Gupta gave this interview in June, listen at 00:35.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-52900528

Nissan have made clear, their UK business is unsustainable with a no deal or equivalent tarriff structure. And now, with the rules of origin changes we have to suffer because we have left regardless, every Nissan vehicle will be subject to a tarriff. But Brexiteers don't acknowledge this.

Nissan is going to go. Toyota will also be in the same situation with tariffs because of their imported content.

Vauxhall will be the next to lose I reckon. Ellesmere Port is already on its knees and desperate for a new programme, but I am 100% certain new Astra etc will go to Germany or a PSA site because, well, why not?

And even if we get a deal, rules of origin will crucify all UK electric vehicles.

For example and Correct me if I’m wrong. Renault have a stake in Nissan and the French government have a stake in Renault. How long before the French government start to try and influence a shift in production away from Sunderland? Of course Nissan have stated they have no plans, but when haven’t management said something and done another thing before?
    Yep, and they share platforms.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    Japanese cars will be tariff free due to the EU-Japan trade deal recently agreed
    For cars made in Japan. Not cars made in the UK.

Rides
    For cars made in Japan. Not cars made in the UK.
    Sad isn’t it

Rides
    What the hell, it gets worse

For people buying goods from oversees, VAT is now not payable by the purchaser of goods on arrival to the U.K.

The VAT now has to be paid by the seller at point of sale.

Amazon have just told U.K. small sellers that as a result, they can’t sell their goods into the EU unless they’re warehoused in the EU.

I’m reading more into it as I write this. But this is absurd lol. It’ll make it massive complex and I’m sure plenty of small traders will just stop selling to the U.K.

You buy a set of wheels from someone abroad and they’ve got to foot the bill for VAT, which means unique pricing for the U.K. and registration with the U.K. tax office.

This is mental

Rides
    What if they don't tho?

Will customs have to have a system in place to intercept the package?? I can imagine that would be something that'd take years to implement and still not work.

Rides
    I honestly have no idea mate. I don’t understand why it’s changing in the first place.

It either means some of us will dodge VAT and international sellers will be liable (how that’s policed I
    Have no idea) or more likely small international traders will just switch off to us because it’s more hassle than it’s worth.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by R3K1355 View Post
    What if they don't tho?

Will customs have to have a system in place to intercept the package?? I can imagine that would be something that'd take years to implement and still not work.
    They aren’t very good at intercepting immigrants

Rides
    I honestly have no idea mate. I don’t understand why it’s changing in the first place.

It either means some of us will dodge VAT and international sellers will be liable (how that’s policed I
    Have no idea) or more likely small international traders will just switch off to us because it’s more hassle than it’s worth.
    It’s changing because the Brexit negotiators couldn’t negotiate.

Small International traders will be screwed.

Here’s the real thing. If you stream a TV show from outside the UK. You are liable for tax, duty and VAT
    Online shopping was supposed to make things easy. It has just got a lot more difficult

Rides

I thought they said Brexit would mean it would be easier to trade with us?

Rides
    I thought they said Brexit would mean it would be easier to trade with us?
    Lol, don't even get me started.