Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Japan and the 'Trade Deal'...

Rides

Japan and the 'Trade Deal'...

I don't come here for political advice generally, but those who are left seem to have a big interest in politics. So I thought I'd ask this question.

Does anyone have any idea if there's any reference to import duties in the texts of the proposed UK/Japan trade deal? I know we were aiming for similar terms to the EU deal, which we are not exempt from duties, but I don't know if there's been more information.

Selfish reason really, about to drop a chunk of money on a diff, a diff plate and some other items. But the car won't be ready this year so kind of thinking, do I hang it out?

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA *breathes* HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA thats a good one

Im just bringing in the odd EUR 15m a year from Europe and I dont even know if Ill be able to reclaim overseas VAT after January 2021, how long my guys can work in Europe for or what we do about medical insurance. Do you think duties on Japan have been decided yet and even if they were would you believe what the government said?
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    I want a Grand Seiko and a metric **** tonne of Japanese whiskies so I'm also interested

Rides
    I feel very silly now

I'll just go and order my stuff then lol.

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    Its not a stupid question by any means, we just have a stupid government. If we go WTO car parts have a 7% tariff, the potential change in the exchange rate is probably more than that though.
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    If we go WTO I won’t have to worry about buying parts as I’ll likely be out of a job by the end of the first half of the year

Rides
    Buy now, don't trust our government to do a decent job later.

You know they'll **** it up.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by piman2k View Post

Does anyone have any idea if there's any reference to import duties in the texts of the proposed UK/Japan trade deal? I know we were aiming for similar terms to the EU deal, which we are not exempt from duties, but I don't know if there's been more information.

Enjoy the read:

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...#japan-scoping

To summarise, just buy the diff

Rides
    Haha, thanks. Not even going to try and read it. I was just looking for a lay of the land.

Well, my Golf is in at the garage for yet another engine management light, so I intend to order this week but it's dependent on the outcome of the garage.

Rides
    Well, my Golf is in at the garage for yet another engine management light, so I intend to order this week but it's dependent on the outcome of the garage.
    Have you not got a code grabber? I had a U281(?) from Amazon for about 11 quid and it worked a treat. The VAG EML is so sensitive, the slightest misfire and it'd ping on.

Rides
    No mate, I borrowed a code reader off a friend last time but I never anticipated buying a daily car that I'd need to buy a code reader for in case it went off.

Had a full EGR system in December so it better be cheap!

Rides
    No mate, I borrowed a code reader off a friend last time but I never anticipated buying a daily car that I'd need to buy a code reader for in case it went off.

Had a full EGR system in December so it better be cheap!
    If I've still got the code reader I'll send it you. Can't remember if I kept it or let it go with the car. Honestly, piece of piss to use and just clear the codes down.

Rides
    Thanks mate, much obliged. I am still waiting for a call from the garage to tell me what the crack is. The longer it takes, the more I can feel my wallet tightening. Just sold a load of bits so I've got a healthy paypal, life has taught me that will soon be absorbed!

Edit - new throttle body to start, £410 fitted. Lovely...
    Last edited by piman2k; 02-09-2020 at 12:38.

Rides
    It's not a diesel is it?

(Yes I know Diesels don't have throttle bodies, VAG ones have an ASV which can have issues)

Rides
    Yeah its a 2012 2.0 TDI, so not the PD engine.

Car had a new EGR in December. Garage say the ECU is throwing up throttle body and EGR error messages, can clear them both but the throttle body one comes back immediately and then the EGR follows behind. So I have to have a new throttle body in order to not keep triggering codes in case the EGR is faulty so we can throw back on the warranty.

Honestly, it's a very practical, comfortable car that does excellent MPG but it's very, very temperamental.

Rides
    I'd hope that a professional mechanic is doing a bit more than just changing 400 quid parts based on error codes and praying it sorts it? Is that all fault finding is now?!

I suppose we are spoiled with access to a very detailed fsm for the nissans telling us how to test sensors and actuators with just a multimeter.
    Last edited by vanepico; 03-09-2020 at 12:36.

Rides
    They’re a proper outfit, don’t worry.

Both parts are showing fault codes, and unless I get the first part replaced the supplier will argue the warranty for the second.

Rides
    Yea hope replacing the TB works and it doesn't turn out to be the swirl flaps, cos that fix is cheap and easy if you diagnose it correctly.

https://www.dieselgeek.com/collectio...d-03l-129-711e

Rides
    I don’t know what the error code is on the throttle body but appreciate the link. Worst case right now is £410 which I can live with.

Rides
    So the high level summaries are in for the deal, 0.07% of UK GDP is now accounted for.

0.07%.

When the Governments own forecast is that GDP could realistically be 6.7% lower after 15 years of stabilising than it is now, because of Brexit.

And it seems that a significant number of the items that were sticking points have been resolved by simply allowing us to sell in using any unused allocation on EU quotas. So if the quota is 500 tonnes of cheese and the EU only uses 499, you guessed it, we can take that tonne.

And Liz Truss is living it up in the commons touting what a cracking job she's done.

Holy actual heck. You can't make this up. You literally can't make it up. The situation is absolutely absurd. Our country not only voted for massive economic harm, but appears to now have a Government that accepts it and is quite satisfied with itself to patch the holes knowing full well they'll never achieve the same levels as before.

Absolutely unbelievable.