Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Kind of a Newbie

  1. #1
    Guest
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    South Wales
    Posts
    56
    Rides
    0

    Kind of a Newbie

    Bought my first S-Chassis last weekend, even though I have been a member here since 2007

    I'm no stranger to Japanese cars or Nissans though having had a Supercharged 350Z, R34 GTR, Supra TT6, R33 GTR x3, Integra DC5, Impreza STI, 2JZ Swapped 350Z and a Twin Turbo 350Z over the past 15 years.





    My inital plans are to tidy up the interior, I've already fitted my HKS AFR Gauge, Pioneer headunit & Tomei gear knob from the TT 350Z. I've relocated the boost controller to infront of the speedo. I've also installed an aluminium footrest from a 350Z (I forgot to get a picture of that today though). Next up is a new Personal steering wheel, dying the carpet and headliner black, some floor mats and figuring out how to fit the 350Z aluminium pedals - I believe that the clutch and brake pedals are straight swap but accelerator pedal will take a bit of fiddling



    Shorter term plans include switching the wheels out for some BBS LM style wheels & a new exhaust. Longer term plans include a top mount turbo and a forged engine - target is 400whp

  2. #2
    Now with 400bhp....
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    South west
    Posts
    36,267
    Rides
    1
    Welcome, solid plans for the car.
    South west Events and local meet info. See here


    My car on THRLL: http://thrll.com/car/1998-nissan-200sx-12410
    Chris Cooke Photograpy: https://www.facebook.com/ChrisCookePhotography
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

  3. #3
    living on the edge p.nicholas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Essex meets
    Posts
    5,635
    Rides
    0
    Welcome

  4. #4
    Member alanjuggler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    manchester
    Posts
    9,939
    Rides
    0
    gone for something a bit more understated then ? welcome
    white '94 s13 200sx scrapped - mapped to 1.45bar. OS giken box, garrett GT2876R, 950cc injectors, ORC twin plate, nistune. 349bhp/325lbft @ 1.3bar CA18DET
    white '96 s13 180sx - type g with more kouki bits - RB25DET, GTR steel twin turbo conversion, RB26 crank & rods. 2.6L VVT twin turbo, SR20 OSG box, OSG STR twin plate clutch, Z32 ECU w/ nistune.

    current status: 180 a bit broken but to be repaired.

  5. #5
    Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    ken is still God
    Posts
    35,073
    Rides
    0
    This list of cars and name seems familiar .......... how you doing?

    200s have considerably worse chassis than 350s but are a lot lighter, Id strongly advise putting some time into the footwork on it before doing power things, 400hp in one is plenty IMO. Nice looking car though, strong work
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

  6. #6
    Guest
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    South Wales
    Posts
    56
    Rides
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by docwra View Post
    This list of cars and name seems familiar .......... how you doing?

    200s have considerably worse chassis than 350s but are a lot lighter, Id strongly advise putting some time into the footwork on it before doing power things, 400hp in one is plenty IMO. Nice looking car though, strong work


    tbh, It handles so much better than I thought it would. I was expecting it to be hard to handle but TBH its on a par with the 350Z.

    It has had some suspension mods done already

    JR3 17Ē wheels
    Every bit of rubber in the suspension has been replaced with hard rubber or polly.
    Engine & gearbox mounts also hard rubber.
    BC coilovers.
    Adjustable rear arms.
    Front Mount Intercooler.
    Battery in the boot.
    Det detector.
    Gizzmo boost controller.
    Stage 1a chip.
    Mongoose stainless exhaust.
    Custom cold air box for Apexi air filter.
    Whiteline adjustable ARBs.
    Roll centre correcting ball joints.
    Anti bump-steer longer track rod ends.
    Quick shift.
    SRB front splitter, the bumper is modified with extra plastic welded in to fill in the usual gaps left.

    I may switch out the whiteline ARBs for some Cusco's and the BC's for Cusco or HKS - You know I like my JDM goodies

  7. #7
    NE and Merch Rep type Vigilant teSte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The Durham Coast
    Posts
    10,086
    Rides
    1
    Welcome aboard. Car looks a good solid starting point and I like the sound of the Z integrations .

    But...now I want a double DIN in the car a barely drive. Damn youuuu

  8. #8
    Guest andyrt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Shropshire
    Posts
    175
    Rides
    0
    Good to see my old car in its new home, it was ready for the next stage of upgrades. The steering wheel was one thing I always wanted to change but never got round to!

    I spent a long time modding & setting up the suspension, handling was terrible when I got it! The BCs are ok but it probably could use something better, they are possibly a little stiff depending on your point of view. The spring rates are listed on a post somewhere, from memory the are the softest ones you could get without going to the Apex comfys that had longer shock bodies, I kinda wished Iíd gone for those really...


    Quote Originally Posted by Vigilant teSte View Post
    Welcome aboard. Car looks a good solid starting point and I like the sound of the Z integrations .

    But...now I want a double DIN in the car a barely drive. Damn youuuu
    Yes the double din looks very good, I was always very tempted to get one as there was space for one! But like you I couldnít justify it in a car I hardly ever used.



    Ian - have you been out to try setting the higher boost levels on the gizmo yet? I forget what the highest setting is but itís not the most it can take, I think its ok up about 17psi but as I said I really only ran it at 15 or so.

  9. #9
    Member sx rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    West Sussex
    Posts
    2,915
    Rides
    0
    Welcome to the club. You’ve got yourself a good one!

    Looking at spec list I picked up on Roll centre correcting ball joints and Anti bump-steer longer track rod ends, two things I’m missing. Just wondering if they make a big difference?

  10. #10
    Now with 400bhp....
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    South west
    Posts
    36,267
    Rides
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by sx rider View Post
    Welcome to the club. You’ve got yourself a good one!

    Looking at spec list I picked up on Roll centre correcting ball joints and Anti bump-steer longer track rod ends, two things I’m missing. Just wondering if they make a big difference?

    Yes they do, not as good as something like geomasters but definitely help.
    South west Events and local meet info. See here


    My car on THRLL: http://thrll.com/car/1998-nissan-200sx-12410
    Chris Cooke Photograpy: https://www.facebook.com/ChrisCookePhotography
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

  11. #11
    Now with 400bhp....
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    South west
    Posts
    36,267
    Rides
    1
    Regarding the headliner, the lights etc from the s15 are a direct fit and are black already, the sunvisors need modifying to work with the s14 brackets and clips but will go in.
    South west Events and local meet info. See here


    My car on THRLL: http://thrll.com/car/1998-nissan-200sx-12410
    Chris Cooke Photograpy: https://www.facebook.com/ChrisCookePhotography
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

  12. #12
    Member sx rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    West Sussex
    Posts
    2,915
    Rides
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Chriscooke View Post
    Yes they do, not as good as something like geomasters but definitely help.
    Cool thanks dude

  13. #13
    Guest
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    South Wales
    Posts
    56
    Rides
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by andyrt View Post
    Good to see my old car in its new home, it was ready for the next stage of upgrades. The steering wheel was one thing I always wanted to change but never got round to!

    I spent a long time modding & setting up the suspension, handling was terrible when I got it! The BCs are ok but it probably could use something better, they are possibly a little stiff depending on your point of view. The spring rates are listed on a post somewhere, from memory the are the softest ones you could get without going to the Apex comfys that had longer shock bodies, I kinda wished I’d gone for those really...




    Yes the double din looks very good, I was always very tempted to get one as there was space for one! But like you I couldn’t justify it in a car I hardly ever used.



    Ian - have you been out to try setting the higher boost levels on the gizmo yet? I forget what the highest setting is but it’s not the most it can take, I think its ok up about 17psi but as I said I really only ran it at 15 or so.
    Not had a chance to yet TBH, weather has been dreadful here the last week & I've had to wait in all week to get my lift sorted after it got stuck in the upright position when I wanted to put the car in the garage

    Quote Originally Posted by Chriscooke View Post
    Regarding the headliner, the lights etc from the s15 are a direct fit and are black already, the sunvisors need modifying to work with the s14 brackets and clips but will go in.
    Ah, thats good to know, I'll hunt an S15 headliner out instead, will be easier than dying mine

  14. #14
    Now with 400bhp....
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    South west
    Posts
    36,267
    Rides
    1
    The headliner itself likely won’t fit but the accessories do. The s14 ones are easy make look good
    South west Events and local meet info. See here


    My car on THRLL: http://thrll.com/car/1998-nissan-200sx-12410
    Chris Cooke Photograpy: https://www.facebook.com/ChrisCookePhotography
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

  15. #15
    Guest andyrt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Shropshire
    Posts
    175
    Rides
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by sx rider View Post
    Welcome to the club. Youíve got yourself a good one!

    Looking at spec list I picked up on Roll centre correcting ball joints and Anti bump-steer longer track rod ends, two things Iím missing. Just wondering if they make a big difference?
    I just had lowered springs on the standard shocks when I put on the longer ball joints & track rod ends the reduction in body roll was amazing, so much so I could back off the ARBs & get a smoother ride. I donít think the geomasters were about when I fitted them, or maybe they were & the longer ball joints seemed more cost effective! The geomasters move all the suspension arms, ball joints obviously only work on the lower arms or steering they are fitted too, but they do still seem very effective. I hadnít realised how much bump steer there was before fitting them I had be subconsciously correcting all the time before fitting them all. I took it on a drift day at Oulton Park & the instructor was keen to have a go & was stunned how well it handled. I always thought it was good, glad Ian though so too!

    Of course I put a lot of time into getting all the alignment spot on too & if you check the pictures itís not riding very low, its a sum of its parts....

  16. #16
    Member sx rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    West Sussex
    Posts
    2,915
    Rides
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by andyrt View Post
    I just had lowered springs on the standard shocks when I put on the longer ball joints & track rod ends the reduction in body roll was amazing, so much so I could back off the ARBs & get a smoother ride. I donít think the geomasters were about when I fitted them, or maybe they were & the longer ball joints seemed more cost effective! The geomasters move all the suspension arms, ball joints obviously only work on the lower arms or steering they are fitted too, but they do still seem very effective. I hadnít realised how much bump steer there was before fitting them I had be subconsciously correcting all the time before fitting them all. I took it on a drift day at Oulton Park & the instructor was keen to have a go & was stunned how well it handled. I always thought it was good, glad Ian though so too!

    Of course I put a lot of time into getting all the alignment spot on too & if you check the pictures itís not riding very low, its a sum of its parts....
    Sounds really worth doing! Thanks for the detailed explanation, itís most appreciated

  17. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    2
    Rides
    0
    Hello there! Welcome to the forum!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •