Thread: R35 coil packs

Rides

R35 coil packs

Hi,everyone !
    This is my first post here and I can already say I've acquired lots of info from this forum.
    I've used the search,but haven't found anything on R35 coil pack conversion.

I am wondering if they would hold still to the spark plugs without an adapter bracket.Also,will they stick out like the R8 ones ? I'm aware I have to cut the front of the first one in order to fit.Ideally I would buy the TAARKS kit,but I don't want to spend $800 on a stock sr (they don't sell the bracket only) as the coils themselves are enough overkill.What about the connectors ? They look the same as the stock ones...I'm thinking of using them for a new loom with thicker wires.
    P.S. Anyone know where I can order new ignitor connectors so I can make a bypass loom ? I really don't want useless stuff in the bay.

Rides
    Don't know about R8 coils, but if you can stand to have a less flash Audi as a donor, normal 1.8T audio coils fit fine. I'm no 1000hp tuner but I think they're similarly effective.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by prxdigivxs_ View Post
    Hi,everyone !
    This is my first post here and I can already say I've acquired lots of info from this forum.

I am wondering if they would hold still to the spark plugs without an adapter bracket.Also,will they stick out like the R8 ones ? I'm aware I have to cut the front of the first one in order to fit.Ideally I would buy the TAARKS kit,but I don't want to spend $800 on a stock sr (they don't sell the bracket only) as the coils themselves are enough overkill.What about the connectors ? They look the same as the stock ones...I'm thinking of using them for a new loom with thicker wires.
    P.S. Anyone know where I can order new ignitor connectors so I can make a bypass loom ? I really don't want useless stuff in the bay.
    Save yourself some money and just get the VAG conversion, coil packs are cheap (under £20 a coil in UK) and high quality. 1.8t coils can handle 200hp per cylinder but require some room to breathe so it's worth venting the coil pack cover. All in all it would probably cost £250 max for the full kit.
    This place has a loom with a connector that deletes the igniter coil. Ran one of these for 4 years wit no issues at 280hp.
    https://www.z-power.fi/catalog/produ...products_id=91

Rides
    I know VAG coils are really,really good (esp. R8 ones,as they're different than tfsi coils).I can get the BERU R8 ones(which are OEM quality) for a bit less than £150 here.R35 Hitachis will cost me around £240.I can say the difference in price is...acceptable,as I'm getting the better product after all(plus they're not red).Now not to sound like an unreasonable kid - I'm not buying high-end parts just to put them on a stock engine.I actually want to build a high power sr(which I know the R8 ones will still be good for),but I won't see the car in the next 2 months and it also needs a coil replaced just so the person who will be taking care of it can move it around,if needed.

btw,thanks for the link ! These guys sell some handy stuff !
    Last edited by prxdigivxs_; 07-08-2020 at 20:35.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by prxdigivxs_ View Post
    Hi,everyone !

The TAARKS kit is AU $ (AUD) remember, and its $726 at the moment with Hitachi coils which is about £380 GBP.

Rides
    probably doesn't help but I used the early 350z vq35de coilpacks (connector is off to the side) and managed to fit them under the cover with only the rear part slightly sticking up (think i stuck a nut under the cover to act as a spacer). I just cut some metal tabs and used a riv nut on the tap to re-align the coilpack hold down bolts.