Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Next Brexit thread (Don’t worry)

Rides
    Fist pump

We cannot handshake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by alanjuggler View Post
    there's plenty of examples where price is lower and quality is higher so a rational consumer would in your world buy local - Ash points out his is cheaper and better. I've offered the same example. There's a reason people aren't using local producers that's not just price or quality. time/inconvenience/travel costs/not knowing where the producers are - these all play a role, very few people are true 'rational' consumers.

what we need is a really pithy marketing campaign - I've never really understood why people take the piss of Made in Britain considering most of the stuff I've ever bought that's made in the UK is good quality.

maybe the slogan should be buy local, pay less, get better?

Was it the Orwell quote about England is the only place where intellectuals are ashamed of their own country? it seems to still be true to this day.
    It seems like that sometimes Alan.

As I mentioned, supermarket is screwing the supplier price down. I bought a punnet of Strawberries from Morrison, but they had already started to go soft, so I chucked them
    Into a Milkshake

People take the piss about made in Britain because let’s face it, we were crap.... look at British Leyland.

Then look at Nissan,
    Honda and Toyota. We are better than what we think

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Asht_200 View Post
    People take the piss about made in Britain because let’s face it, we were crap.... look at British Leyland.

Then look at Nissan,
    Honda and Toyota. We are better than what we think
    Be careful with that analogy because you're not taking into account design vs. manufacturing. None of the Honda or Toyota product is designed here. The BL was. As a counter, JLR product is designed here. And look at that reputation.

Rides
    Jesus i am still grey i am going to have to do something about this..

It itches... nasty - bet i am going to have a rash.

Rides
    The farmers are selling off their land and (not to be political) its the Tories local development plan.
    Nearly all farms are in hock to the bank. They only clear the debt when they cash in on sale of a few fields for housing or industrial estate/warehouses.

There's a whole lot land that developers have in "land banks", that is rented back to farmers.

If you look at farms on google maps it turns out that lots of them have become rural industrial estates, using "disused" buildings. Or RV/caravan parks. Or solar farms. Or anything but actual farms.

"Poor" farmers are unheard of since WWII. Some went bust in the 30's but post war agricultural policy has been subsidies.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by skyshack View Post
    Nearly all farms are in hock to the bank. They only clear the debt when they cash in on sale of a few fields for housing or industrial estate/warehouses.

There's a whole lot land that developers have in "land banks", that is rented back to farmers.

If you look at farms on google maps it turns out that lots of them have become rural industrial estates, using "disused" buildings. Or RV/caravan parks. Or solar farms. Or anything but actual farms.

"Poor" farmers are unheard of since WWII. Some went bust in the 30's but post war agricultural policy has been subsidies.
    You have to remember many farmers also died during WWII and the land was divided up and given to the other farmers

But how is it farmers are allowed to pay fruit pickers £2.50 an hour? And then UK kids are villains because they wont do what they call “immigrants work”

Sorry farmers, I don’t like any of you at the moment. I’ve had Hay Fever for the first time ever, zonked me out. Had to have a COVID test at the doctor (which is almost as unpleasant as a prostate examination)

Rides
    My biggest argument about Brexit was that food prices would rise

Farmers, have you ever met a poor grain veg and fruit farmer? They will bitch and whine, but have you seen the markup the supermarket puts on? Like Tesco etc. Go to your local farm shop and you can pay half what you pay at the supermarket

Meat, go to my local butcher almost a 3rd what I would pay at Morrison and it is Aberdeen Angus

Welsh farmers are complaining because they are paid a pittance for a lamb, it does not cost to pay a butcher to butcher the chop they sell, but nearly £7 in Morrison

If we really want Brexit to work, we should think about using local shops and produce to make it work for us.
    I’m having Aberdeen Angus Black and Blue Burgers (Chuck steak and a bit of brisket) Brioche Rolls from the local bakery and Blue Stilton (ok that comes from the supermarket)£1.50 for a quarter pound black and blue burger! Doesn’t include the match or the charcoal or Cajun Seasoning..

But every large grocer in the UK is ripping us off. We aren’t called rip off Britain for nothing. It’s people at the top lining their pockets. Just look at what Philip Green did to all the BHS workers. It’s not right
    I’m not saying boycott supermarkets, some of us can’t, because where we live... but if we can, support local produce. They won’t survive if we don’t and then we will have to have things imported
    From China, the US and Africa etc
    Hope to get Spanish residency soon. It is actually not hard at all!
    This issue is always relevant but even now it is still not clear what Brexit will bring to the British. About 7-8 months ago I had a chance to discuss Brexit with a native English and he said that in his social circle everyone treated Brexit in a negative way. A lot of them are thinking of moving to Spain since this country has more stable perspectives.
    Last edited by maynard; 10-11-2020 at 14:18. Reason: spelling correction

Rides
    Spain is looking pretty ****ed up right now, all of club med are going to need a monster bailout off the back of Covid, a large percent of their economy is from tourism, which has been almost non existent this year.

Rides
    Suspicious of the account above, not a bot but brand new, from Toronto. Isn't this the second Toronto account we've had in a week or so?

Rides
    Farmers market / farm gate prices cheaper than the supermarkets ???!!!???

Down here in rural Surrey I should coco.
    Half as much again as SainsTesRose and the rest...

Plus not always what it seems, true story: lovely folksy old lady down the road with chickens running round her garden and the whole roses over the door thing vibe going, selling her free range eggs at the garden gate at a definite premium over the supermarkets. Did great business until somebody twigged the fact that half a dozen chickens can't produce that many eggs, and put two and two together with the fact that her daughter worked at a local very definitely not free range chicken farm...
    Last edited by Rochester; 30-10-2020 at 11:21.

Rides
    As above. The only think I have seen regularly cheaper than the supermarket has been vegetables on the market stands, and half of the time around here there's no traceability anyway.

Ironic that the No Deal we're on course for is going to absolutely ass fcuk farmers into oblivion, and yet we are to believe significant numbers of them voted for Brexit in one format or another.

Rides
    The media managed to find plenty to interview.

Proper pig thick idiots that employ many migrants but didn't give a thought to where the workforce would come from once the boarders slammed down.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by piman2k View Post
    As above. The only think I have seen regularly cheaper than the supermarket has been vegetables on the market stands, and half of the time around here there's no traceability anyway.

Ironic that the No Deal we're on course for is going to absolutely ass fcuk farmers into oblivion, and yet we are to believe significant numbers of them voted for Brexit in one format or another.
    But deal or no deal it’s going to f**k French Fisherman and what have threatened to do, blockade French ports with their burning trawlers

Rides
    So if French, Belgian, Dutch and Spanish fisherman's livings will get worse. And British fishermen will find it more expensive to sell into their primary customers including France, Holland and Spain, one returns to the original issue of what was the point in going through all this

Aero industry has formally made a warning about what No Deal's going to do to them via the ADS. Tens of thousands of well paid jobs at risk with no view for replacement.

Rides
    British Fishermen voted for this in their droves tho. So **** them and their problems if everything goes tits up for their industry.

Maybe I can snap up a nice little cottage on the coast after it's repossessed from one of them.

Rides
    Ha, that's very true. It's been so interesting to see how much our political class value their careers over the welfare of the country, putting some 24,000 jobs with an average salary of less than £20k a year as a priority to that of industries with over a million jobs at an average salary of £38,000.

Comical. I think I am feeling a lot better because I've resigned myself to my industry about to have a real hard time, Deal or No Deal, and I've been saving pretty hard to mitigate the inevitability that it'll touch me. Which is kind of cathartic.
    Last edited by piman2k; 02-11-2020 at 11:40.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by R3K1355 View Post
    British Fishermen voted for this in their droves tho. So **** them and their problems if everything goes tits up for their industry.

Maybe I can snap up a nice little cottage on the coast after it's repossessed from one of them.
    Have some compassion. The Common Fisheries Policy and the French have been screwing them for years and now Macron is putting his fut down because he has an election to fight soon. And that prick Barnier threatening Britain won't have acess to European markets unless we backdown over fishing rights

Maybe the German's dictate to them like they did 80 years ago. Unfettered access to London's wholesale financing is critical to German corporations

Rides
    How has the CFP screwed British fishermen?

They already catch less than they are entitled to.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by piman2k View Post
    How has the CFP screwed British fishermen?

They already catch less than they are entitled to.
    It’s a lot more than just how much they can catch.

Having to discard dead fish is just one example. Ignoring scientific advice regarding fish stock and setting quotas they claim is sustainable but based on no scientific fact.

Rides

The Next Brexit thread (Don’t worry)

Anyways,

Have a listen to this.

https://youtu.be/06uaTPx_LqI

Go to 40:26 for a UKIP candidate’s arguments.

Last edited by Asht_200; 03-11-2020 at 10:33.