Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Next Brexit thread (Don’t worry)

Rides

The Next Brexit thread (Don’t worry)

My biggest argument about Brexit was that food prices would rise

Farmers, have you ever met a poor grain veg and fruit farmer? They will bitch and whine, but have you seen the markup the supermarket puts on? Like Tesco etc. Go to your local farm shop and you can pay half what you pay at the supermarket

Meat, go to my local butcher almost a 3rd what I would pay at Morrison and it is Aberdeen Angus

Welsh farmers are complaining because they are paid a pittance for a lamb, it does not cost to pay a butcher to butcher the chop they sell, but nearly £7 in Morrison

If we really want Brexit to work, we should think about using local shops and produce to make it work for us.
    I’m having Aberdeen Angus Black and Blue Burgers (Chuck steak and a bit of brisket) Brioche Rolls from the local bakery and Blue Stilton (ok that comes from the supermarket)£1.50 for a quarter pound black and blue burger! Doesn’t include the match or the charcoal or Cajun Seasoning..

But every large grocer in the UK is ripping us off. We aren’t called rip off Britain for nothing. It’s people at the top lining their pockets. Just look at what Philip Green did to all the BHS workers. It’s not right
    I’m not saying boycott supermarkets, some of us can’t, because where we live... but if we can, support local produce. They won’t survive if we don’t and then we will have to have things imported
    From China, the US and Africa etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rides
    I have yet to see a proper "skint" farmer, yes i know they exist - just not in my realm.

Rides
    **** i am still grey

Rides
    Ask Dow! He came along to the weekenders armed
    With Gin, Tonic and Lemons. Nicest thing he ever did though

It was him, me and Jow sitting around the fire drinking Gin and Tonics properly.

I will never forget that evening, Jow (Joanne) was one of my best friends and Dow made
    It perfect, he even had ice. I wish she had spoken to all of us or even just me. I had been through it before, I pulled a friend off the mainline out of Kings cross to stop him, got a bloody good smack in the chops for that.

Rides
    But back to Brexit. I think we will do ok if..... the people are treated correctly and not ripped off like they have been

Wishful thinking maybe.

It’s not just the government though, it’s local councillors. There are at least 4 train stations in Maldon District. Maldon District cannot sustain everyone living there economically so most will have to commute, into London mainly.

So they have embarked to build 8- 10,000 house in Maldon and now the fat home
    Secretary and Maldon’s MP John Whittingdale and Maldon District Council (Remember they were the ones who voted against putting houses near a railway.) want to reopen the lines.
    It will have to go through an industrial estate and a housing estate to reopen the old beeching line

This is why I never trusted any politician with Brexit. Because none of them have a ****ing clue

Rides
    And the conservative government have said they have pledged 500 million to look at it. Does it cost that much to ask a local to say can it be done?

Rant over! Lol

Rides
    I don’t know if it’s related to C19 or Brexit but I have noticed sizeable increases in prices on staple foods in my Tesco. A dozen free range eggs are now £2.05 over £1.89 previously.

I don’t personally buy into the ‘buy British and support local businesses thing’. The whole point of a global economy is to have choice, to be able to pick the product you want and get it at a price that’s right. I don’t give preferential treatment to much from anywhere because of its regional origins. I buy on quality vs. price.

It looks certain to be no deal now. So expect most things to go up significantly.

Rides
    If it can be made/grown locally then I believe we do have a duty to get it from an independent retailer wherever possible, as after all - your paying for a guy to have a little better life, not me Tesco to have another massive holiday for doing effectively F-all...

A guy I know has just filled his farm with pigs and is selling some of the best pork I've ever had on congleton market and it's priced well below "Tesco finest"

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Rides
    I have no duty to anyone. I am a consumer in a global economy.

I enjoy the most choice anyone has had, ever, and it’s up to the retailer or producer to make sure the price is right if they want my custom.

Sourcing locally is a novelty, but it must be a better product for most consumers (myself included) to be interested.

Rides
    no duty to anyone ? individualism gone a little too far, methinks. you have plenty of duties, most of which you do automatically out of respect for society, societal expectations, morals and legality.

choosing to buy from someone who understands their land, what's in the long term interests of it and their animals sounds like a wise choice to me and means you can make a difference without spending any more in most cases.

eggs - good example. I pay £3.50 for 30. local place, set up a vending machine arrangement so unattended. down the road. cheaper, faaaaaaaaar better than Tesco. required a little investigation and time to find it. most small businesses just struggle to reach people so they're aware of it. if you compare that to the labour, capital and all the rest of Tesco - what do you think you're paying for? it's not really the eggs.

the thing most people choose is convenience all under one roof - in / out, click/collect, under an hour.

shit, I actually agree with Ash
    white '94 s13 200sx scrapped - mapped to 1.45bar. OS giken box, garrett GT2876R, 950cc injectors, ORC twin plate, nistune. 349bhp/325lbft @ 1.3bar CA18DET
    white '96 s13 180sx - type g with more kouki bits - RB25DET, GTR steel twin turbo conversion, RB26 crank & rods. 2.6L VVT twin turbo, SR20 OSG box, OSG STR twin plate clutch, Z32 ECU w/ nistune.

current status: 180 a bit broken but to be repaired.

Rides
    Don’t over read what I wrote by assigning context that wasn’t there. I am talking strictly about being a consumer.

And I already addressed quality as an argument. But I will not go out of my way to source locally merely BECAUSE it is local. That’s not how a consumer generally works.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by piman2k View Post
    I am talking strictly about being a consumer.

And I already addressed quality as an argument. But I will not go out of my way to source locally merely BECAUSE it is local. That’s not how a consumer generally works.
    I know its a cliché but it's somewhat true that "if you don't use it, you'll lose it"!
    Plenty of small businesses are going under including farmers close to towns and cities that will cut their losses and sell of their land to developers (which will probably fund their retirement), creating a new wave of local residents who inevitably cant buy locally and shop in the supermarkets for convenience!

Then when all the local produce and suppliers are gone, the Supermarkets really do have a local monopoly, and can source and supply expensive sub-standard goods because we have no other choice than to buy it.....

Rides
    Of course you have a duty...

Keep getting cack chicken imported from Thailand and frozen meals made in a indian sweatshop and if there's ever another war, or pandemic etc.. not necessarily in the UK.. but what do you think will happen to our food supply when the locals stop producing because the likes of Tesco squeeze the price so low they can't produce and earn a living.

The UK is far too dependant on off shore manufacturing and production, the current situation should be pushing more people to home made and home produced

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Rides
    I don’t know if it’s related to C19 or Brexit but I have noticed sizeable increases in prices on staple foods in my Tesco. A dozen free range eggs are now £2.05 over £1.89 previously.
    Asda did that as well, although the prices have started to come back down again.

Probably a supply issue, there were some products they just couldn't keep on the shelves people were buying them so readily.

Rides
    Don’t over read what I wrote by assigning context that wasn’t there. I am talking strictly about being a consumer.

there's plenty of examples where price is lower and quality is higher so a rational consumer would in your world buy local - Ash points out his is cheaper and better. I've offered the same example. There's a reason people aren't using local producers that's not just price or quality. time/inconvenience/travel costs/not knowing where the producers are - these all play a role, very few people are true 'rational' consumers.

what we need is a really pithy marketing campaign - I've never really understood why people take the piss of Made in Britain considering most of the stuff I've ever bought that's made in the UK is good quality.

maybe the slogan should be buy local, pay less, get better?

Was it the Orwell quote about England is the only place where intellectuals are ashamed of their own country? it seems to still be true to this day.
    white '94 s13 200sx scrapped - mapped to 1.45bar. OS giken box, garrett GT2876R, 950cc injectors, ORC twin plate, nistune. 349bhp/325lbft @ 1.3bar CA18DET
    white '96 s13 180sx - type g with more kouki bits - RB25DET, GTR steel twin turbo conversion, RB26 crank & rods. 2.6L VVT twin turbo, SR20 OSG box, OSG STR twin plate clutch, Z32 ECU w/ nistune.

current status: 180 a bit broken but to be repaired.

Rides
    Like I said, if it's a better product then it'll drive the desire. And I shop at farm shops and fish markets when I pass them because it's a novelty.

But you wouldn't get me shopping locally everywhere all the time for everything, it's neither financially viable or time efficient.

I don't dislike made in Britain stuff, and as part of the manufacturing industry, I applaud it. But it has to be good, ideally better than what else is available. The motivation to buy it can't just be because it's British. That's the attitude problem we have.

Rides
    Plus, don't forget that we are at the start of a time of huge economic stress. Most people will be rationalising their shopping and their day to day's. If people want them to buy British then it's going to have to be cheaper, because that'll be more of a driver than ever as people on Uni Credit budget their weeks.

Rides

I don’t personally buy into the ‘buy British and support local businesses thing’. The whole point of a global economy is to have choice, to be able to pick the product you want and get it at a price that’s right. I don’t give preferential treatment to much from anywhere because of its regional origins. I buy on quality vs. price.

It looks certain to be no deal now. So expect most things to go up significantly.
    Have you? My local Morrison’s have decreased prices. I use them because they are in walking distance, but big shops I use Aldi and Lidl.

I said we should buy British, but if the German supermarket can save us money, why can’t the British?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by hooky View Post
    I know its a cliché but it's somewhat true that "if you don't use it, you'll lose it"!
    Plenty of small businesses are going under including farmers close to towns and cities that will cut their losses and sell of their land to developers (which will probably fund their retirement), creating a new wave of local residents who inevitably cant buy locally and shop in the supermarkets for convenience!

Then when all the local produce and suppliers are gone, the Supermarkets really do have a local monopoly, and can source and supply expensive sub-standard goods because we have no other choice than to buy it.....
    The farmers are selling off their land and (not to be political) its the Tories local development plan. They said it had to be ‘sustainable’ so they will put the houses in a town that has no railway station. The town won’t be able to provide jobs for everyone, so there will be commuters

I voted remain during Brexit because immigration has been good, but this is an unprecedented time. We had something like 500 boat immigrants in a day, they should have been turned back by the Royal Navy, or dare I say it, they should have claimed Asylum in the first country of the EU they landed in. I’m compassionate but also want to protect the ones I love, friends family etc

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by alanjuggler View Post
    no duty to anyone ? individualism gone a little too far, methinks. you have plenty of duties, most of which you do automatically out of respect for society, societal expectations, morals and legality.

choosing to buy from someone who understands their land, what's in the long term interests of it and their animals sounds like a wise choice to me and means you can make a difference without spending any more in most cases.

eggs - good example. I pay £3.50 for 30. local place, set up a vending machine arrangement so unattended. down the road. cheaper, faaaaaaaaar better than Tesco. required a little investigation and time to find it. most small businesses just struggle to reach people so they're aware of it. if you compare that to the labour, capital and all the rest of Tesco - what do you think you're paying for? it's not really the eggs.

the thing most people choose is convenience all under one roof - in / out, click/collect, under an hour.

shit, I actually agree with Ash
    Holy shit mate

Seriously, I know it is convenient to go to a supermarket, but my local butcher is cheaper than the Supermarket and it’s better quality. My local fishmonger is cheaper but better quality
    And for veg I try to go to the local farm shop which is better quality.

I’m lucky because I live in the countryside so understand if you cannot