Thread: Shall I up the boost ?? Or is it a bad idea

Rides

Shall I up the boost ?? Or is it a bad idea

Hi all so iv got a sr20det blacktop running the garret t25G. I was speaking too a bloke last night who knows quite alot about cars. And he said gauging by the smoke stains up the back of my car from the exhaust my car is running quite rich which is what alot of people have said. Iv got all the supporting mods for a tune other than an ecu and he reckons too turn up the boost from the 1 bar I'm running too 1.2 for the time being before I get it tuned cause it's gunna be a while. It sounds like a good idea but is it ? Thanks

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by krispyd1 View Post
    I was speaking too a bloke last night who knows quite alot about cars.
    I see

Quote Originally Posted by krispyd1 View Post
    he reckons too turn up the boost from the 1 bar I'm running too 1.2 for the time being before I get it tuned cause it's gunna be a while
    Does he now

No mate, bad idea. A bit of soot out the exhaust isn't a reliable indicator of air fuel ratio across the full range of revs and it could be detonating its nuts off at 4,000rpm as it's lean as hell, and only overfuelling on idle because the lambda sensor is shot. Guesswork tuning just leads to engine megadeath.

Besides the fact, I'm surprised you've not hit boost cut already - have you had the ECU out to have a look at it?

Rides
    Ye too be fair too the bloke he's had and tuned up quite a few monster cars and he's a pretty good mechanic but he's not played with many Jap cars hence me asking on here ! And too be honest no iv never had a look at it ! I'll have a little look now n get back too you. It was imported with quite a few cheeky little mods on it so there could be a chance that it's been played with.

Rides
    The way to do this safely is on a dyno so your fuelling and knock levels are monitored.
    You may well have some good mods that will easily support the extra boost, but its worth noting that the t25g is a fairly small turbo and will probably start blowing hot air when pushed.

Rides
    25g on an s14 blacktop?

Naff, find something bigger than a computer fan for it :-)

Rides
    T25g? So it's a 180sx?
    Firstly, ignore your 'expert' mate, yea they run rich with a standard tune but soot is the shittest excuse to turn up the boost I've ever heard as for all you know it's rich off boost (they normally are) and lean on boost.
    Secondly, you'll probably hit fuel cut at 1.2 bar on a standard ecu. It's there to, you know, stop damage
    Get it mapped properly and stop listening to pub experts, unless you like smearing piston up the side of cylinder walls.