Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Let’s make Britain Great again

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Asht_200 View Post
    I totally agree with you Ryan

But also, this “Black Lives Matter” shit is just dividing the country

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    BLM is a politically funded movement controlled by the Democrats in America. Come November it will fade away until another 4 years has passed and reappear when the next Democrat wants to be President.

The downside is the bandwagoners who will use an agenda for their own personal gains, selling merchandise for profit, using it as an excuse to promote anarchy, destroy property, commite violence etc.
    Its sad because there were lots of demonstrations for equality that were peaceful, socially distanced and respectful to the communities they took place in, but this news doesn't sell papers.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike41288 View Post
    Just another casualty of the targeted propaganda by the brexiteers. Old people often aren't willing to acknowledge their shortcomings in things and instead just try to dismiss and dirvert to keep their pride.
    I would be interested in seeing him debate someone who doesn't believe the Daily Mail is a good honest paper.
    Unfortunately, the times we live in means that people in power can say almost anything they want without having to stand by it when it all falls down. It starts to rub off on others eventually.
    But again, that's the point isn't it.

He's an old person. Common sense tells us he's likely to live with the consequences of this decision for a lot less time than the interviewer.

He has no understanding of what he's saying, he's consumed punchlines and slogans without trying to determine if they're true or meaningful. And as a result has exercised a vote that will financially cripple the country and roll back so much of the progress in the country that he thinks is so great already. He's talking about rebuilding like he's accepted this will harm the country, and if that had been an option in the campaign you could at least say it was honest. But it wasn't. At no point did the Leave campaign tender the idea that Britain would be worse off.

If this truly is because of the campaign, then it needs revisiting so that the British people can make an informed decision. There should also be a test about what certain campaign points mean, to demonstrate an iota of understanding. Because why should someone be allowed to make such a massive decision that affects so many people if they can't prove they have any understanding of what that decision might mean in the future?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by piman2k View Post
    If this truly is because of the campaign, then it needs revisiting so that the British people can make an informed decision. There should also be a test about what certain campaign points mean, to demonstrate an iota of understanding. Because why should someone be allowed to make such a massive decision that affects so many people if they can't prove they have any understanding of what that decision might mean in the future?
    Unfortunately, we live in a democracy where everyone's vote counts the same, regardless of their knowledge level of the current events.
    Having another vote on Brexit would, in my opinion, be even more damaging to this country. Yes, it was sold to people through lies, scaremongering and fake patriotism, but having another vote would open Pandora's box. Every single vote after it would have to be rerun if the other side didn't like the results. People would stop voting because it would stop having any real meaning, then where would that leave us.
    It's the same as Scotland wanting a independence referendum every few years, you can't keep having votes until you get the result you want otherwise it completely nullifies the reason for voting in the first place.
    The best thing we can do now is to not let the politicians get away with it again. Everyone needs to fact check their statements, call them on their bullshit and let people know that you can't just make up a whole load of shit to trick people in to supporting you. Allow people their freedom of speech, but let them know that they are accountable for the things they say, don't just let them apologise away the blame of deflect the questioning.

Rides
    See I don't agree, and I base this on two points:

• General Elections are a confirmation vote, we have one every 4 years where we are allowed to change our mind
    • J.R. Mogg, prominent in the leave campaign, stood on the benches and recommended, just prior to the referendum, that it would make sense to have a vote on the deal at the end of the negotiations

I agree you can't just vote until you get the result you want. But this is an exceptional kind of vote.

It is universally forecast to be economically damaging to the country.

It's widely accepted that as a campaign it was rife with disinformation.

It's widely demonstrated that the "typical" Brexit voter (and I do not mean all) did not comprehend the consequences of leaving the EU because they did not comprehend the benefits of being in the EU.

If the entire country voted to execute the first born of every household by a 4% majority, I would hope the Government would step in and say "are you sure?".

Even Microsoft Word asks you if you're sure you want to quit before you do

Rides
    BLM is a politically funded movement controlled by the Democrats in America. Come November it will fade away until another 4 years has passed and reappear when the next Democrat wants to be President.

The downside is the bandwagoners who will use an agenda for their own personal gains, selling merchandise for profit, using it as an excuse to promote anarchy, destroy property, commite violence etc.
    Its sad because there were lots of demonstrations for equality that were peaceful, socially distanced and respectful to the communities they took place in, but this news doesn't sell papers.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
    But why did they have to have demonstrations in this country?

I am all for equality. Never thought I’d say this, Black, white, Gay. Lesbian a good friend of mine is Transgender you learn when you get older

Rides

• General Elections are a confirmation vote, we have one every 4 years where we are allowed to change our mind
    • J.R. Mogg, prominent in the leave campaign, stood on the benches and recommended, just prior to the referendum, that it would make sense to have a vote on the deal at the end of the negotiations

I agree you can't just vote until you get the result you want. But this is an exceptional kind of vote.

It's widely demonstrated that the "typical" Brexit voter (and I do not mean all) did not comprehend the consequences of leaving the EU because they did not comprehend the benefits of being in the EU.

If the entire country voted to execute the first born of every household by a 4% majority, I would hope the Government would step in and say "are you sure?".

I ****ing hate that **** Mogg. Give me a gun

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    Both sides of the argument put out propaganda and twisted truths, no side is 100% right or 100% wrong.
    No, they didnt. One side put out a huge amount of disinformation, suppressed or redacted reports, clear made stuff up and continue to lie to you every day.
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by docwra View Post
    No, they didnt. One side put out a huge amount of disinformation, suppressed or redacted reports, clear made stuff up and continue to lie to you every day.
    Not suggesting that they put out an equal amount of misinformation, but if someone tells 100 lies and someone else has told 5 lies, they are both liars. Just one is more prominent than the other.

Rides

Jacob Rees-Mogg would set fire to his kids if it meant he would get what he wanted.
    Unfortunately, there is a big difference between someone making a suggestion in Parliament and an "are you sure?" vote being turned into a must do thing once everything had been sorted.
    At this point in time I think a last minute confirmation vote would actually be worse for the country as if the vote failed.
    It gets to the point where we are approaching a metaphorical river with no safe way to turn round. We can either go full speed ahead as one, giving us the best chance of jumping to the other side. Or have half of us trying to push back in a different direction, which would most likely end up with everyone drowning.
    Just my opinion on how I see things.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Asht_200 View Post
    But why did they have to have demonstrations in this country?

I am all for equality. Never thought I’d say this, Black, white, Gay. Lesbian a good friend of mine is Transgender you learn when you get older

I don't know the answer to that. Can't say I've looked for information on what groups were actually protesting.

Rides
    It gets to the point where we are approaching a metaphorical river with no safe way to turn round. We can either go full speed ahead as one, giving us the best chance of jumping to the other side. Or have half of us trying to push back in a different direction, which would most likely end up with everyone drowning
    It's cute but it's flawed.

The river is heading to a waterfall and we will absolutely fall down it and get wet. But some of us took the time to look at the map before the trip and said "hey, I know there is a waterfall there. I can see it on the map. That's not good". While the captain said "it's not a waterfall".

And we got pushed onto the boat anyway.

And then half way down the river the captain says "so it might not be totally smooth. It might be rapids but the boat will be ok".

And then a bit later he says "Ok so it might be really rough rapids now, and if the boat gets damaged we will repair it".

And then a bit later he says "Ok so yeah, it's a waterfall, and we might have to rebuild our boat but at least we're all in it together. If we believe we can rebuild the boat then we can".

That's all there is to it.
    Last edited by piman2k; 27-07-2020 at 14:06.

Rides
    It's cute but it's flawed.

The river is heading to a waterfall and we will absolutely fall down it and get wet. But some of us took the time to look at the map before the trip and said "hey, I know there is a waterfall there. I can see it on the map. That's not good". While the captain said "it's not a waterfall".

And we got pushed onto the boat anyway.

And then half way down the river the captain says "so it might not be totally smooth. It might be rapids but the boat will be ok".

And then a bit later he says "Ok so it might be really rough rapids now, and if the boat gets damaged we will repair it".

And then a bit later he says "Ok so yeah, it's a waterfall, and we might have to rebuild our boat but at least we're all in it together. If we believe we can rebuild the boat then we can".

That's all there is to it.
    Is it better to be proactive before inevitable events that you fear will be detrimental or reactive after the the events happened? It's a personal choice that everyone will have to make

Rides
    Please be careful people they are expecting a 2nd Covid wave

Don’t go out your house unless you have too

Rides
    .....annnnnd back to the same old thing, both sides throwing crap at each other.

Instead of the whole country just going round and round in circles why not try and address why many voted to leave in the first place. Ohh and the constant wave upon wave of vile, abusive and down right disgraceful FB postings from the deranged - the millions of them - well thats helping a lot isnt it.

Why some folk think its ok to run around on the internet mouthing off at folk because they dont agree with them is beyond me. 99% of these saps wouldnt open there mouth to someone in person like some of the stuff you see going round.
    I can tell you that up here, going into a pub and spouting like its FB would end up with you being in casualty if your lucky.

The internet and social media have created a world where its easy to be abusive because your teeth are generally safe.
    Anyway what was we complaining about again?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sideways14a View Post
    .....annnnnd back to the same old thing, both sides throwing crap at each other.

Instead of the whole country just going round and round in circles why not try and address why many voted to leave in the first place. Ohh and the constant wave upon wave of vile, abusive and down right disgraceful FB postings from the deranged - the millions of them - well thats helping a lot isnt it.

Why some folk think its ok to run around on the internet mouthing off at folk because they dont agree with them is beyond me. 99% of these saps wouldnt open there mouth to someone in person like some of the stuff you see going round.
    I can tell you that up here, going into a pub and spouting like its FB would end up with you being in casualty if your lucky.

The internet and social media have created a world where its easy to be abusive because your teeth are generally safe.
    Here is the question, how much have the feeds been decided by countries that wanted Brexit?

Rides
    Feeds? er chicken feeds?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sideways14a View Post

It is true that all discussions should be based on what you can get away with inside a pub before someone inflicts violent harm to you.

I don't see anyone here being verbally abusive to each other or threatening in any way though, unless I'm misinterpreting it all. It's a discussion about Making Britain Great Again as per the title. (Maybe the comment about JRM was a bit violent but I'm pretty sure that's a known fact about him).

Rides
    We did address why half the country voted the way they did.

They were lied to. And they lack the ability to think critically.

You can dress it up anyway you want, but it’s that simple.