Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Let’s make Britain Great again

Rides

Let’s make Britain Great again

We have all said it, the cars we used to make were crap

But Honda, Nissan and Toyota built factories in this country and Nissans factory was the most productive in the world

We have one of the largest silicon wafer fabs in Wales and most of you have phones that contain CPU architecture that was designed in Britain

We headquartered most of the major banks, the big 4 accounting firms and 3 of the magic circle law firms

Yet we hear Trump saying “Let’s make America great again” but we don’t big ourselves up.

Why is that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rides
    Britain was never great without the empire and wealth that came from robbing other countries natural resources, at the end of world war 2 “Great Britain” became just Britain imo.

Maybe if the corporations based here were forced to pay the taxes they owe things could be better though.

Rides
    I do not see Britain great again any time soon.
    We have a very fractured population over politics and the way forward, neither side wants to negotiate or discuss with the other and both sides also hate each other. With a population split so badly its a wonder we wont have civil war before we become "Great" again.

We also have little quality skills left in our ageing population, Nuclear reactors being designed and built by the Chinese because we lost the expertise years ago. Same with other big engineering and technology based knowledge, its seeping away from us constantly as we bring up a new breed of skilled worker in youtube material creator or twitch streamer.

Why? because science is hard mmmm ok.

As for Arm, well its kinda global now anyway isnt it? Yes i know they are based out of Cambridge ect but they are owned by the Japs now aint they?
    A lot of what happens with the future of the platform is prob done on the other side of the planet.

Shame, the guts of almost the entire worlds communications devices, tvs, low power devices and god knows what started out life with Acorn alongside the bbc micro and the Archimedes lander (lets see who remembers that) back when Britain was ... almost "Great".

Rides
    Engineering isn’t what it was. Ok so small scale car production still exists.
    China is now the one for production but the quality is never be great until the prices match the work and that’ll be when no one makes anything for themselves anymore

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by p.nicholas View Post
    Engineering isn’t what it was. Ok so small scale car production still exists.
    China is now the one for production but the quality is never be great until the prices match the work and that’ll be when no one makes anything for themselves anymore
    Small scale?

Have you seen the Nissan and Toyota plants?

Uk Skills haven’t been lost, they are probably tired because they said they had.

China is the one for production because they use child labour. Apple had to go over and “allegedly” stop it

But you have to ask yourself, if an 11 year old girl can build my iPhone, surely our population can make things

Children in China go out to work because their parents are starving. We consider China a prosperous country but millions are starving. Much like the US. Prosperous in the cities but rednecks are 3rd world.

We are very lucky to live in this country

Rides
    I think the point is flawed, Britain is currently great. It's just what is coming that's going to make it not great.

I can't speak for IT, financial services or the like, but I like to think I know a bit about the car industry here. There's a huge footprint here already. That's going to diminish, significantly, because of this countries recent decisions.

Britain isn't broken. We are about to break it.

We live in a country populated by people obsessed with some imaginary commodity called "bulldog spirit", in a society that for some reason believes it's superior to that of out neighbours and with a population who fantasize over a war that ended 75 years ago as some expression of who they are. It's living insanity, and it'll make Great Britain into Little Britain in no time.
    Last edited by piman2k; 22-07-2020 at 11:59.

Rides
    The British worker killed the industry

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

Rides
    I somewhat disagree...

The British management killed the industry, and it's not coming back anytime soon as most people employed in manufacturing, trades or similar industries feel under valued and extorted.... while the higher ranks keep getting more and more reward and less competent

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by piman2k View Post
    I think the point is flawed, Britain is currently great. It's just what is coming that's going to make it not great.

I can't speak for IT, financial services or the like, but I like to think I know a bit about the car industry here. There's a huge footprint here already. That's going to diminish, significantly, because of this countries recent decisions.

Britain isn't broken. We are about to break it.

We live in a country populated by people obsessed with some imaginary commodity called "bulldog spirit", in a society that for some reason believes it's superior to that of out neighbours and with a population who fantasize over a war that ended 75 years ago as some expression of who they are. It's living insanity, and it'll make Great Britain into Little Britain in no time.
    Ryan I agree

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by DLowe View Post
    I somewhat disagree...

The British management killed the industry, and it's not coming back anytime soon as most people employed in manufacturing, trades or similar industries feel under valued and extorted.... while the higher ranks keep getting more and more reward and less competent

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    I agree and disagree .
    British Management and politicians didn’t help, but lazy British workers also helped kill it

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Asht_200 View Post
    Ryan I agree
    Glad you agree mate. We are battening down the hatches at Casa del Piman as we prepare ourselves for the s**t show that's about to hit us.

You've only got to look at LinkedIN and be in an engineering or financial services circle to see how truly apocalyptic the jobs market is right now, while we are still in the transition period, to understand how bad it's going to get.

October 31st is the end of the furlough scheme. And it's the official deadline for Brexit talks to end.

Which means the very day that UK companies have to bring their staff back on the payroll is the very day that those same businesses will find out of their economic future looks smooth or highly turbulent.

I sincerely believe that day is going to go down in UK history and get a nickname.

Of course, it might not, because it looks like Johnson is ready to walk away from the EU talks this month because of 'insurmountable differences' on bullsh*t like fishing (again, for f***s sake) and the jurisdiction of the ECJ.
    Last edited by piman2k; 23-07-2020 at 07:11. Reason: Spelling and Grammar

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Asht_200 View Post
    I agree and disagree .
    British Management and politicians didn’t help, but lazy British workers also helped kill it

Pretty much as far as I can see

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

Rides
    Tories are selling the NHS under our noses, as we speak

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sx rider View Post
    Tories are selling the NHS under our noses, as we speak
    I love the NHS piece. If you say anything bad about the NHS and you don't vote Labour you are instantly a Nazi Don't vote for the Tories they'll get rid of the NHS!

How many years since its formation have been overseen by Tory governments and how many times, exactly, has it been 'sold off'? 1950 to 1963, 1970-74, 1979-97 under Maggie - the queen of privatisation FFS , 2010-20 right up to present day. So that's 13+4+18+10=45.

Forty five years out of 75 it has been in existence the Tory government has been secretly getting rid of the NHS.

Ah but it's happening by stealth! Riiiiigght. Christ it's lame.

Rides
    To be fair though, look at the increasing evidence that it's being dismantled. The Virgin contracted hospitals. The number of Private Ambulances working in association with the NHS.

I'm sure there's more to come from the US trade deal that will be absolutely brilliant / not even come close to making up for the EU tariff barriers even if we get the deal we want with the US but the US has rejected

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by piman2k View Post
    To be fair though, look at the increasing evidence that it's being dismantled. The Virgin contracted hospitals. The number of Private Ambulances working in association with the NHS.
    You're right, but for what reason is it happening? Are the fundamental principles of the NHS undermined by it?

There were private ambulances under Labour governments and they built new hospitals on PFI deals. Were they stealthily selling off the NHS too or is it just the way it needs to be to run an efficient service that best meets the needs of the people whilst retaining its key fundamentals, eg free at the point of use, available to all etc?

It's such a political hot potato that it almost drives the division in where you vote - one policy politics; really effective and not at all full of fake news.

Rides
    I am not expert but it looks like the torries want to sell the NHS https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/po...e-deals/21/07/

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sx rider View Post
    I am not expert but it looks like the torries want to sell the NHS https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/po...e-deals/21/07/
    It's horseshit. Caroline Lucas put it forward FFS

It is feared that this could lead to the Conservatives were planning to include the NHS in a future trade agreement with the US – something which was voiced by former Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn as early as 2018.
    Why would Corbyn have said that? Let me think...... was it because of all of his other policies were so strong and he was so confident of an election win? Or was it more likely he was mud flinging because he knew he had to turn it up a notch on the Tory Bad-Labour Good scale and use the NHS as the political hand grenade it's become?

The Clause 17 thing is like saying 'Well I don't think we should sell Battersea Dogs Home as part of a trade deal so we should introduce an amendment to counter the possibility'. WTF honestly

But at the same time, of course it's not going to be off the table. Why would it be? What would be so wrong with having a deal on healthcare with the US? Why would that change the fundamental principles of the NHS in the UK?

Nobody is answering those questions because they know it's just ****ing smokescreening.

Rides
    Oh I disagree with you there bud, massively!

American healthcare systems are profit generators, with business returns. Our NHS, en masse, isn't. The interests of the patient trump the interest of the shareholder.

I don't want to pay health insurance.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by arry View Post
    I love the NHS piece. If you say anything bad about the NHS and you don't vote Labour you are instantly a Nazi Don't vote for the Tories they'll get rid of the NHS!

How many years since its formation have been overseen by Tory governments and how many times, exactly, has it been 'sold off'? 1950 to 1963, 1970-74, 1979-97 under Maggie - the queen of privatisation FFS , 2010-20 right up to present day. So that's 13+4+18+10=45.

Forty five years out of 75 it has been in existence the Tory government has been secretly getting rid of the NHS.

Ah but it's happening by stealth! Riiiiigght. Christ it's lame.
    Spot on.

The Tories are not getting rid of the NHS! My girlfriend works for the NHS and says it isn’t being privatised. They are non profit making organisations that operate the hospitals, for example Provide that run Broomfield hospital

The biggest threat to the NHS was New Labour with their PFI initiative. The nasty Tory party have written that debt off