Thread: CA18DET bottom hose fan switch temperature

Rides

CA18DET bottom hose fan switch temperature

Hi,

I've got twin 12 inch fans to cool my CA18DET with the stock radiator. I'd like to remove the drain plug in the bottom on the rad on the passenger side and replace it with a temperature switch to control the fan.

What temperature should I get ? There are plenty available...

82C on 72C off
    88C on 79C off
    100C on 95 off etc

What size is that thread ?

cheers, Dick.

Rides
    is there any reason you're using leccy fans with the standard rad? the viscous works better than most leccy fans (as long as the viscous coupling still works) so unless you're stuck for space, I wouldn't switch.

no idea on the thread size, no standard rad kicking about, I'd imagine it's something M14-16 ish, though you'd have to check for sure.

on the temps, the top two are really low though. max power is around the 95C mark, from memory, I wouldn't want to run it really cool unless you've got a special use case, drifting or something like that.

with nistune on the RB - I set my rad fans to start "half blow" at 93, "full blow" at 95-100+ if that's any help. that's with the pair of 12" fans pulling through. doesn't overheat.
    white '94 s13 200sx scrapped - mapped to 1.45bar. OS giken box, garrett GT2876R, 950cc injectors, ORC twin plate, nistune. 349bhp/325lbft @ 1.3bar CA18DET
    white '96 s13 180sx - type g with more kouki bits - RB25DET, GTR steel twin turbo conversion, RB26 crank & rods. 2.6L VVT twin turbo, SR20 OSG box, OSG STR twin plate clutch, Z32 ECU w/ nistune.

current status: 180 a bit broken but to be repaired.

Rides
    Thanks for the reply.

I’m putting the engine in a Triumph Dolomite Sprint and there’s not much space !!

Water entering the engine through the bottom hose will be cooler than coming out of the top hose. I think if the bottom hose temperature was 95-100 then the top hose would be far too hot ?

Rides
    reasonable point - most OEM nissans will measure the water temp on the top side - I have one of the cheapy rad hose adapters for a take off in my top hose so I could monitor that independently.

what ECU are you using? if you're using nistune, you can read the top sender value so you can tune it to what makes most sense.
    white '94 s13 200sx scrapped - mapped to 1.45bar. OS giken box, garrett GT2876R, 950cc injectors, ORC twin plate, nistune. 349bhp/325lbft @ 1.3bar CA18DET
    white '96 s13 180sx - type g with more kouki bits - RB25DET, GTR steel twin turbo conversion, RB26 crank & rods. 2.6L VVT twin turbo, SR20 OSG box, OSG STR twin plate clutch, Z32 ECU w/ nistune.

current status: 180 a bit broken but to be repaired.