Thread: car buying advice around 12k

Rides

car buying advice around 12k

Hello all

I'm looking for advice on a family five door car. As fast as possible around 12k

I was thinking evo?

Thanks in advance

Rides
    Won't get much quicker for the money than an E60 M5

Rides
    As Ben says, just check the vanos history/rod bearings etc as its an expensive fix potentially.

Evos and scoobys will need lot of work to make them as quick a the M5 and fell far less well put together.

Downside is it sounds like a tractor at low speeds when cold.

Rides
    Evo IX Wagon is a good shout, like this one. But as it's not tuned it won't be slow but it won't be the king of the road either.

Golf R's are good money, but buy a manual like this one and avoid a DSG unless you're prepared for a rebuild cost in the future.

Down in the foam, playing with the string...
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by ex200owner View Post
    Hello all

I'm looking for advice on a family five door car. As fast as possible around 12k

I was thinking evo?
    I did too. It's fun and the kids love it I was in this situation ~6 years ago (with a little under half your budget). Looked at the M5, RS4 (although S4 would have been closer budget wise) Evo's and Impreza's. Briefly considered an Octavia vRS but ruled it out as a bit boring (ironically I now work for Skoda for the last 4 years!) And eventually ended up looking at Evo's.

But which one? £12k will get a big variety. Personally I'd have loved a 5 or 6 but actually ended with with a super rare 2 GSR. I love its basicness and rawness. No traction control, yaw control etc. No airbags either... and that's it's so rare. After driving this and some other newer models, I'm happy with my choice. Nothing to do with the climbing values. Honest!

Drive several different things and decide. I'm a big Evo advocate - so much so I did indeed put my money where my mouth is.