Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: White/black lives matter thing.

Rides
    Incidentally, dickheads like him are the reason a lot of us can't comment on racism issues against the flow without being called a racist. But then on the other side there's the people that create memes suggesting that if you're not ok with people mass gathering in public during a pandemic outbreak of a disease causing a health crisis then you're automatically a racist and / or hypocrite.

Rides
    Things are beginning to aim towards where physical influence are rising to the top and thats not a great place to be.

Rides
    I personally think the slogan black life’s matter was poorly thought out or perhaps deliberately contrived to piss people off. Yes they do matter but it would have been better to just have gone with all lives matter, it would have been more inclusive and less controversial that way.

Surely they knew that calling it that was going to stir up the far right and cause more tension, it was naive to think it wouldn’t.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by arry View Post
    Incidentally, dickheads like him are the reason a lot of us can't comment on racism issues against the flow without being called a racist. But then on the other side there's the people that create memes suggesting that if you're not ok with people mass gathering in public during a pandemic outbreak of a disease causing a health crisis then you're automatically a racist and / or hypocrite.
    Couldn't agree more.

The struggle I am having is that there's no clear objective for BLM at the moment. Like, they're protesting every week in London, fine. For what? What is it that someone could do that would make them say "OK, that's it, that's what we wanted, we'll go home now".

And secondly, if the point is to raise awareness and engage on the topic, then why am I being told I could never understand because I'm White?

I appreciate this is hugely simplifying the issue, but I think it remains a valid point. Particularly when, if there's a spike in COVID because of it, it will affect my life.

Rides
    ‘Keith Lemon’ apologising for Bo Selecta.

BBC removing Little Britain.

Now the white voice actor of Cleveland in Family Guy steps down.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/27/enter...rnd/index.html

Come on. This is all absurd.

Rides
    I cannot stand this.... words fail me.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by piman2k View Post
    ‘Keith Lemon’ apologising for Bo Selecta.

BBC removing Little Britain.

If waynes bros also apologise for “white chicks” at least it will work both ways. Black face has pissed people off for decades, schmo selectors is in the same vain.

Little Britain is awful so that’s probably why they did that though.

Rides
    I'm genuinely sad a bunch of TV shit has pissed black people off. Genuinely.

Rides
    That's the thing mate, I cannot take it seriously, I don't believe it because I consider it very petty, and it demeans the actual message people are trying to get over.

It's like people are looking for reasons to be upset, which is very much how life appears to be these days.

sx rider raises a good point, not sure I've seen any people offended by 'white face'.

Rides

What next? Bart simpsons voiced by a 50yr old woman, surely that's more misleading than a white guy playing a black guy of the same age?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Rides
    You could argue that by this precedent you would now need a “yellow” person to play any character from The Simpsons...

Rides
    You could argue that by this precedent you would now need a “yellow” person to play any character from The Simpsons...
    Well that's taking it a bit far; there aren't really any people who are yellow, well certainly not with the requisite number of fingers anyway.

I can kind of see why it is a white bloke putting on an Indian accent isn't such a great idea when you have a fair few Indian folk knocking around your country that could probably do the job better, and use the job since they've been discriminated against anyway.

But to start calling it evidence of systematic oppression and a white microaggression - well.

Rides
    The simpsons removed Apu 3 years ago, but hardly anyone cared or noticed. IMO not wholly because a white guy played the character but because it was portrayed in derogatory stereotypical way.

“Thank you, come again” being shouted at Asians in the street, now that is offensive.

Rides
    Well that's taking it a bit far
    I see what you're saying, I really do, but is it a bit far? I mean, this Mike Henry / Cleveland thing is basically no different in my eyes.

Plus, isn't BLM and the new Woke/Ultra PC agenda all about equality? If that's truly the case, this shouldn't matter because a voice has no colour.

Edit - this is all assuming Mike Henry has felt pressured to leave the role and hasn't just done it to inflate his social media following temporarily. He also plays Consuela though...

Rides
    I see what you're saying, I really do, but is it a bit far? I mean, this Mike Henry / Cleveland thing is basically no different in my eyes.

Plus, isn't BLM and the new Woke/Ultra PC agenda all about equality? If that's truly the case, this shouldn't matter because a voice has no colour.

Edit - this is all assuming Mike Henry has felt pressured to leave the role and hasn't just done it to inflate his social media following temporarily. He also plays Consuela though...
    Latest Pie should appeal to your senses here:

The woke ultra PC brigade have no filter and no rationality. For example, on the same topic of Labour anti-semitism:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-53212785

Those condemning Rebecca Long-Bailey's sacking are guilty of anti-Semitism, according to Nia Griffith.
    Yes really; if you happen to think she just might have made an honest mistake and her sharing something on Twitter without checking it fastidiously first doesn't automatically make her a Jew Hater, then well sunshine, you yourself are a Jew Hater.

Yes - welcome to the brave new world.

Rides
    Jesus. What kind of world are we making.

Rides
    Jesus. What kind of world are we making.
    One where having a contrary opinion makes you a far right nutter.

Postmodernists don't believe in debate. They actively seek not to engage in it. They don't believe in facts. Or biology. Just that the western culture is an oppressive regime / white male dominated patriarchy predicated on the abuse of white privilege.

Rides
    One where having a contrary opinion makes you a far right nutter.

Postmodernists don't believe in debate. They actively seek not to engage in it. They don't believe in facts. Or biology. Just that the western culture is an oppressive regime / white male dominated patriarchy predicated on the abuse of white privilege.
    Oh this x60000000

The costuming world has a large LGBTQ+ community and a portion of that community cannot and will not debate anything. If you disagree with them you are a homophobe/transphobe toxic human being that does not deserve to breath. End of Its generally the younger generation who are self entitled pricks at the best of times

However I get the whole BLM thing, some people read it as ONLY black lives matter but its actually Black Lives Matter AS WELL, so when you start saying All Lives Matter it just shows your ignorance to whole situation. We already know All lives matter but there is an issue where it seems a Black life isnt worth anything to some people and thats what they are saying. Although if we started with less gang violence and blacks killing blacks the world would be a much better place.
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    I can relate to that, it's certainly the sentiment that seems to be circulating. It's like it's a race to the bottom, a competition to find out who has had a harder life or who has been offended more.

If you've done alright for yourself you're deemed to be entitled, protected by the system. Never mind if you've worked hard, trained, paid into the system etc.

If you've not done alright for yourself, you must have been failed by the system, the system must be corrupt or broken.

If you're a straight, white male, you are basically everything that is wrong with society.

I can genuinely feel my sentiments changing as this issue develops.

Rides
    I'd heard people making a comparison between George Floyd to Justine Damond, a white Australian woman that had also been shot and killed by Minneapolis police. Why do people know George Floyd's name and not Justine Damond - isn't it the same situation?

Thing is, I realised the reason you didn't know Justine Damond is - without massive protests, the officer that shot her was arrested, tried and convicted and there was no video evidence of any of it. I genuinely don't believe the same could be said for all the black folk killed by police in similar situations - by similar situations I mean those that aren't engaging in any criminal activity. I've got sympathy for police officers who have intelligence someone might be carrying a gun and I don't envy making those decisions in the moment.

I think Akala's interview with James O'Brien does a good job of explaining a lot of it and that was nearly 2 years ago now. He turns it on it's head a little, similar problems exist in inner city London to white working class ex-mining towns - low educational expectation, poverty, lack of secure jobs etc. A quick google shows it's around a third of households would qualify as 'in poverty' in both places. he doesn't remove personal responsibility out of all of it, though.

I think all the other stuff is fluff on the side, it's the easy answers - the stuff that's easiest to solve and easiest to call out - it's why people focus on it - statue coming down, easy, removing bits of old TV programmes that are considered wrong by today's standards is easy.

fixing systematic poverty and educational outcomes for deprived kids - difficult.