Thread: Horn doesn't work (aftermarket steering wheel fitted)

Rides

Horn doesn't work (aftermarket steering wheel fitted)

I cannot work out is wrong with this.

I've got these horns which work (tested on the battery)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221749970828

They have been connected with the oem horn wiring and they have been grounded at the front.

I've got a HKB boss and an NRG thin snap off hub. From the steering wheel it has been grounded and the positive connects to a green cable if I remember right.

Even with the resistor the air bag is still on and the horn doesn't work. Tried the oem horns to see if it would make a difference and it didn't.

I've looked on You Tube and found a thread on here which sounded similar but they had different wiring so it unfortunately didn't help.

Any information would be appreciated!!!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by kishan View Post
    I cannot work out is wrong with this.

I've got these horns which work (tested on the battery)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221749970828

They have been connected with the oem horn wiring and they have been grounded at the front.

I've got a HKB boss and an NRG thin snap off hub. From the steering wheel it has been grounded and the positive connects to a green cable if I remember right.

Even with the resistor the air bag is still on and the horn doesn't work. Tried the oem horns to see if it would make a difference and it didn't.

I've looked on You Tube and found a thread on here which sounded similar but they had different wiring so it unfortunately didn't help.

Any information would be appreciated!!!
    Did the original horns work with the snap off hub and boss? With the air bag light being on it may be a combined issue with the spiral cable. Then again it could just be 2 different issues at the same time.

The horn is simple. When you press the button it connects earth to the horn relay E6 which energizes the coil to connect the horns to 12v. If the horns are not working it's either the 10A (no. 39) fuse on the 12v supply, faulty relay, faulty horn button or wiring between. Wire colours are:

12v from relay to horn = Black
    12v from fuse to relay = Green/Black
    Earth from button to relay = Green/White

Rides
    I remember there being a problem. Shortly after fitting it I discovered my car was rotten underneath. This was around 4 years ago. I did put the original horns on recently to see if they would work but it was the same.

Rides
    Is the airbag wiring (yellow conduit) all still in place?

Rides

Horn doesn't work (aftermarket steering wheel fitted)

Did you had a airbag system before?
    Last edited by surewire; 28-06-2020 at 21:47.