Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What has been your favourite car?

Can't tell the difference cleanhands's Avatar
    Rides
    Three hundred quid Mk2 Scirocco (single wiper, no bodykit) with a 2.0 liter 16 Big valve head, Jenvey 45mm ITBs with MBE management. Ohlins suspension, Neuspeed 28mm rear ARB. Big brake kit, A008 tyres. Perspex widows, Scirocco windows are flat so easy to do. Sorry, no pictures. I knew what it looked like and no one did that back then.

I lived a mile from Brands Hatch at the time so there was plenty of prey around.

Know what you mean Arry, has any group of people been so obsessed with a sunroof?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by cleanhands View Post
    Know what you mean Arry, has any group of people been so obsessed with a sunroof?
    Indeed mate. The other one I love is the cable throttle early 996's being so coveted over the electronic throttles. I'd challenge anyone to blind test that and say they notice the difference.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by arry View Post
    It's because you get to drive them hard and not give two hoots.
    Not quite

I spent £28000 on my S13 and ask Crazy Eddie how I drove that. I maxed it out on the A130 and Dave and my Dad following flew past

Blew the engine and had an ex F1 engine builder build it (the guy used to work for Brian Hart race engines)

Pointz has it now, but the way that guy built that engine, it was like a Labour of love. It was 5000 well spent. JE pistons rattle on start up but I do miss it

Tein coilovers and Bren’s Hardrace fully adjustable suspension, fully rose jointed. Noisy as anything but handled like a go kart.

I chased an ex manager up the M11 and he had an E46 M3 and had to move over

God I miss that car!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by green_rs13 View Post
    I always find my rubbish cars are my best/favourite.
    I agree.

I had a crappy Rover 216

You know the A127 M11 junction northbound? Some idiot tried to overtake through the white lines

The Rover came off ok, had a broken door mirror

Rides
    You know what my favourite cars are?

The ones I don’t own

I got a pool car from where I worked and just never gave it back for 2 years. Skoda Oktavia vRS

I took my then Girlfriend, Her sister and Boyfriend up to the Ferrari festival at Donington, they were all screaming

Rides
    I mostly corner inverted due to it's weight. If I was wasting £5k it would be a gearbox rebuild, a few extra shims in the diff and this

https://www.macgracing.co.uk/shop/po...drive_kits-400

The 4.0, might get to use more than half the box then. That would make a lot more difference than losing 15kg out of 1.4 tonnes.

I drove a couple of tired .2s and the extra torque certainly hid any lack of response. They felt every one of their 100k miles.

Rides
    Yes, I have an electric hood and it is broken!

Rides
    My best friend, her husband has a clean Peugeot 205 1.6 in his garage that he is restoring, that will be fun

My elder brother has a MK1 XR2 in Essex Girl White, all the original graphics but it is rotting

Jeremy my best friends husband is putting throttle bodies on his 205, that will sound awesome

Rides
    I mostly corner inverted due to it's weight. If I was wasting £5k it would be a gearbox rebuild, a few extra shims in the diff and this

https://www.macgracing.co.uk/shop/po...drive_kits-400

The 4.0, might get to use more than half the box then. That would make a lot more difference than losing 15kg out of 1.4 tonnes.

I drove a couple of tired .2s and the extra torque certainly hid any lack of response. They felt every one of their 100k miles.
    Saw a guy the other week take the final drive from 3.44 to 4.12 and I thought that was a really interesting choice.

If I've got my gearing chart right, and 7300rpm rev limit, stock ratios produce the following per gear, then revised final drive by side of it:
    1st - 44 ......37
    2nd - 77 ......64
    3rd - 111 .....93
    4th - 139 .....116
    5th - 166......138
    6th - 201 .....168

The biggest improvement that I'd be tempted with is the ~500rpm difference in 6th at 80. I often find 6th annoying on motorway as if you drop below 80, to get the engine back singing properly you're dropping to 5th, which makes it a bit of a gearbox stirrer for no real reason. The in gear speeds on the new chart look really useful and just go to show what a leggy beast the 996 is really.

Rides
    I was disappointed to finally have to take it on a motorway the other week, was quite proud that i'd managed 3800 miles before I did. You're right about 6th, it isn't great anywhere around the speed limit. Those in gear speeds look more realistic, I simply do not need a car that does 170

I'd definitely trade 1st being a bit short for being able to stir the gears between 3rd and 4th, rather than 2-3.

Phoned dealers, can't bring myself to call them OPC, 997 gear linkage £180 inc VAT, £240 from 911Apart and £270 From D911. I shall certainly be phoning them again.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Asht_200 View Post
    Yes, I have an electric hood and it is broken!

Probably shows my car owning experience, my first question to my parents when they got a folding metal roof convertible, "Do you know how to put it up manually when it breaks"

Rides
    Probably shows my car owning experience, my first question to my parents when they got a folding metal roof convertible, "Do you know how to put it up manually when it breaks"
    I guess my convertible was the start of my mid life crisis.

I have a Z32 Targa

Talking about gears Arry, it’s a 7 speed Auto with paddles. It will do 180