Thread: Bare metal coating?

Rides

Bare metal coating?

I've just finished renevating the underside of the s14, treated the rust and now need to coat the spots of metal before I fully seal it all. I was just wondering if anyone can share with me what you've used in the past etc.

Rides
    Best thing to use on bare metal is epoxy primer as it’s non porous .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rides
    For small spots I've been using Hydrate 80, it converts any remaining rust particles and leaves a tough covering. And then paint over.

Completely clean large areas get etch primer then paint. Underneath I've been plastering over with hammerite-waxoil underseal.

Time will tell if I made the right choice!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by pegliobagli View Post
    Best thing to use on bare metal is epoxy primer as it’s non porous .

Ok I've seen Epoxy is the one. Would cans be effective? It's only small area's mainly when I've been wire wheeling rust spots

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by jackg0416 View Post
    Ok I've seen Epoxy is the one. Would cans be effective? It's only small area's mainly when I've been wire wheeling rust spots
    Yeah you can get decent 1k epoxy now so should be all good bud . Makes sure to degrease /panel wipe to clean any oils etc off the surface before spraying

Rides
    Yeah you can get decent 1k epoxy now so should be all good bud . Makes sure to degrease /panel wipe to clean any oils etc off the surface before spraying

Ok thanks man I'll probably just do that then. I was clearly overthinking it haha reading all sorts of stuff but to be fair it's not a full resto so no need to go mental with it. Cheers

Rides
    Other option would be something like the bilt hamber epoxy mastic that can be brushed on

Sent from Big Bear Kustoms Ltd

Rides
    Ok thanks man I'll probably just do that then. I was clearly overthinking it haha reading all sorts of stuff but to be fair it's not a full resto so no need to go mental with it. Cheers
    No worries dude . There’s so many options and so many ways to go about things . As long as everything is properly coated and protected it will be fine .
    We tend to clean everything then epoxy coat it to create a barrier before doing sealer on the joins then after that we stone chip and paint over the lot . Works well and lasts a long time , everyone has their own preferences

Rides
    No worries dude . There’s so many options and so many ways to go about things . As long as everything is properly coated and protected it will be fine .
    We tend to clean everything then epoxy coat it to create a barrier before doing sealer on the joins then after that we stone chip and paint over the lot . Works well and lasts a long time , everyone has their own preferences

Any particular preferred Epoxy? I've got the underseal and seam sealer

Rides
    Any particular preferred Epoxy? I've got the underseal and seam sealer
    We personally use octoral and ppg but that’s 2k via a spray gun
    Mipa, upol , Hb body, novol all do 1k epoxy in aerosol I believe or theres the bilt hamber brush/ spray on which is very good too , like all bilt hamber products

Rides
    I've just finished renevating the underside of the s14, treated the rust and now need to coat the spots of metal before I fully seal it all. I was just wondering if anyone can share with me what you've used in the past etc.
    If there's any chance that there's small bits of rust remaining (in pitted areas etc) then just get some Bilt Hamber Hydrate 80 and follow the instructions they give you exactly when applying it. No point taking the risk now you've done all the hard work. Then use their epoxy mastic over the top as you know there won't be any adhesion problems. It's a 4:1 product so you'll need to mix it yourself but it can be rollered or brushed on.

As said above, degrease the shit out of it, at least 2 or 3 times.

You shouldn't need to overcoat it but if you do then I've heard good stuff about UPOL Raptor but it's not just point an shoot as you will need to key the surface before applying.

Rides
    I used electrox primer by bilthamber on bare metal and epoxy mastic over the top. But I used hydrate80 on pitted metal and then epoxy mastic over that.

Rides
    Have a look at Dinitrol RC900
    It's quite expensive at £35 (delivered) a can but it's a Rust converter and epoxy primer in one. Just like any rust converter it's not a substitute for removing rust, but you can even see it work in patches, on steel that has been wired wheeled. I used a can on a front end tidy up.

This seller delivers super quick even during lockdown:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DINITROL-...72.m2749.l2649

See it being used on this Driftworks Youtube vid:
    https://youtu.be/-rblc0ZxZMg