Thread: Turbo bracing inspiration...

Rides

Turbo bracing inspiration...

I've switched back to standard mani temporarily on my s14a as my tubular one cracked. (I know standard ones are stronger etc... But I love the noise the tubular one makes!)

Looking for inspiration for how people have added additional bracing to the turbo/ elbow/ downpipe area. I've tried a few options in the past but want something more industrial now! (BTW: already have a flexi in the system).

and just because I haven't posted any photo's on here in a while....

gsk_7648.jpg

Rides
    Wow that's looking mint under there!

I read about porting the standard manifold to improve flow, not sure if it will help with the sound though lol

Can't tell the difference cleanhands's Avatar
    Rides
    Best place to look is factory racing cars. They have the budget and they've got the qualifications

Rides
    Considered changing the manifold? I had loads of cracks with my old Greddy manifold, but I replaced it with a copy I made with thicker material and it’s been fine for years with no bracing at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    Brace the elbow to the back of the block

Rides
    There are 2 threaded mounting points that are unused on the block right near the turbo elbow/downpipe area, it's the perfect place to solid mount a brace making a strong point to resist the weight of the exhaust moving.

Polyurethene exhaust mounts are well worth it if you don't already. standard rubber ones can't take the extra weight of a stainless exhaust and allow massive amount of movement which gets transfered straight to the manifold, turbo and elbow.

I had a really well fitting downpipe with flexi joint and gearbox brace made for my car (by DAL Performance) after it kept killing turbo gaskets, now it joins nicely with no need to push or pull the mid pipe to allow them to ft up. The previous one fitted really bad and was under a lot of tension where the mid pipe/backbox were pulling down on it when joined. Pretty sure this was a big contributor to putting stress on the whole hot side when driving.

Sorry if I've mentioned stuff you've already had done but I don't know what you have had done to your car, sorry if it sounds patronising too.

I've done all these things to mine and have never cracked a manifold (APW tubular) and not had to do any gaskets/stud replacements since

Rides
    Cheers guys for the suggestions.... Some good ideas!

I think somewhere around the elbow > side of the block and an extra hanger near the end of the downpipe is probably the best places.... I may go for a new mani (Mines at least 9 years old) but wanna get the bracing right first.

Also mounts are a good shout, I've got a combo of some old poly and rubber ones so will give them a refresh.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike41288 View Post
    There are 2 threaded mounting points that are unused on the block right near the turbo elbow/downpipe area
    On standard car there is a braided earth wire to the bulkhead on one of those bolt holes.