Thread: spec r sr20det or spec s 2jz

Rides

spec r sr20det or spec s 2jz

Hi all im looking to buy myself an s15 dream car* and i have two options which are the same value its either buy an nissan silvia s15 spec r with the sr20det engine *or buy a spec s and put a 2jz engine it it im looking for 500 horsepower i also could rebuild and**forge the sr20det engine but will it**achieve the 500hp* also which one would hold the better value over the years ,anyone could help me decide* on this one that was in the same position also the car is going to be a weekend car so no drifting competitions maybe a roundabout or two *occasionally*

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Spec r will likely be worth more in the future. The sr can be made to hit 500bhp but it’s not cheap and you’ll need to fit a stronger gearbox. A 500bhp sr would also likely be slower than a jz version with the same bhp.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    If one of your first worries is which one will hold it's value more, then I would suggest abandoning the idea completely.

Both will ultimately be a converted Spec S. And both will cost you way, way more to make from a base car than you will ever get back.

A 2JZ conversion in Europe these days is the best part of £10k, assuming you can do all your labour and wiring yourself and you buy a dog sh1te turbo set up.

A 500 hp SR would be easier to put together, but also wouldn't be cheap because of the supporting work.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Chriscooke View Post
    Spec r will likely be worth more in the future. The sr can be made to hit 500bhp but it’s not cheap and you’ll need to fit a stronger gearbox. A 500bhp sr would also likely be slower than a jz version with the same bhp.
    will the 2jz handle worst as its heavier than the sr would you know ?

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by nikiel159 View Post
    will the 2jz handle worst as its heavier than the sr would you know ?

No idea mate, never driven a jz
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    You'll never drive the two cars back to back, so you'll have nothing to compare to. There don't seem to be many complaints about engine mass re: 2JZ in S body on the net. Even though I bet it's a good 75kg heavier.

Rides
    I think OP meant buy a SpecR SR20 S15 or buy a SpecS and convert to 2JZ?

If that's the case, i'd say a Spec R would be better investment.

Why are you chasing 500bhp spcifically? What's the use going to be for?

Rides
    Misread that, my bad. Hope you’re well mate.

Rides
    Living the dream.. I'm all good cheers bud, I trust same with you? Be happier once lockdown lifts so I can access my car. Stuck in storage a million miles away