Thread: Car seats for babies

Rides

Car seats for babies

I know this is a weird one but I'm expecting my first child in 2 months time. I need to get a baby seat for the car. I drive a standard 200sx S13. Will any baby seat fit in the front seat? I'm slightly worried that the new style of baby seats won't fit because of this iso fix bs? It sounds bad but I imagine the cheaper seats fit better. Also does anyone know where you can get cool sporty looking ones lol

Rides
    We had a rear facing Mamas and Papas seat that clipped on and off a pram on ours but my youngest is 19 now lol

We got iso fix forward facing seats from Halfords when they were 6 months old or so. They sat nicely into the buckets of the rear seats,

I think you just need to go round the stores and try different seats but it is possible.

Oh, and congratulations, Danielle x

Rides
    Yeah I should probably wait til we can wander round the shops again. Cheers

Rides
    https://www.maxi-cosi.co.uk/cabriofix

We had this seat/system for both our kids. Relatively compact, suitable upto about 1yr old, part of a travel system type get up so you dont need separate buggy/travel cot bases to lug around. Good forcrear faciing and forward facing iirc

But it is best to have a look and speak to someone knowledgeable in a shop

Rides
    Should say ours went through an s13 and an e46 m3 so the seat had to be light and easy to carry/install. Have to buy the base seperate

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    We had a rear facing Mamas and Papas seat that clipped on and off a pram on ours but my youngest is 19 now lol

We got iso fix forward facing seats from Halfords when they were 6 months old or so. They sat nicely into the buckets of the rear seats,

I think you just need to go round the stores and try different seats but it is possible.

Oh, and congratulations, Danielle x
    Just an FYI rules have changed for face forward seats 15months before that happens

Rides
    Changed the rules? The car doesn't have airbags.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    Changed the rules? The car doesn't have airbags.
    Yeah it's cool...johnny's post said forward facing at six months. It used to be done on weight. I know as the rules changed between kids for me

Rides
    I had no idea. Just looked it up on the gov website and as you say a newborn has to be rear facing. I can't see how that's a great deal safer.

Rides
    Baby's neck gets quite a lot stronger during the first months so a rear facing seat supports the head better in a sudden deceleration (aka crash).

When the baby is first born, you need to cradle the head when simply holding them upright let alone when there is a risk of an accident.

I might well be remembering wrong about the 6 months. Just read what I said as "forward facing seats in the back of the car when they were old enough".

Rides
    Slight update. In the end we got given a seat off a friend, no idea what make it is but it has a "B" on the strap. The rear facing seat doesn't fit in the front of the S13 unfortunately due to the shape of the seat. It fits in the back though. I need to get a mirror because you can only see the babies feet lol