Thread: POE network switches...

Rides

POE network switches...

I've recently created a game room / office in the spare bedroom..

Unfortunately it's too far from my bt home hub in the living room to get a decent signal...

I fitted one of those wifi extender plugs but its shocking to say the least,

55mbs in the living room, 6mbs if I'm lucky in bedroom....

It took call of duty nearly 2 days to update!

Anyway, being a clever person (not) I only put 1 cat 5 to the room and that was via the cupboard my cctv is in, again only 1 cat 5.

I need some kind of switch or 2 and the POE 4 ways seem to be right for the task, but can you run them of a by home hub?
    Thanks

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Rides
    Yes just get a gig poe switch - if you dont need the power part you can save some money.
    I would start minimum with an 8 port one, they fill up fast though so 10 or more might be a good idea.
    Run one catv from the router to the games room and put the switch in there, you dont need any more unless you want more connections.

A gig across the network will be fine for most folk, no need to go silly.
    I dont like these extender plugs, would never use them and i dont like wireless for anything more than phones/tablets and basic laptops. Wired always wins out the performance and latency side of things.

I have a 12 port poe switch with 2x10gb fibre connections thats full with two managed APs, 3 connections to my server, 1 to my main pc and 1 for a camera on the roof. at the moment i am still using the oem supplied router but i have pfsense and a VDSL modem which does away with it totally to allow me to completely control the whole lan down to the smallest thing.

Rides
    I'm not sure if I made sense in my first post...

I have a hh6 in the living room, run in NAS drive, av amp, youview wired and TV + blu ray wireless...

This has 1 cat 5 to bedroom 1 airing cupboard, housing a 8 way cctv box hard wired.

All this is chased in the walls etc and I was trying to avoid the extra mess in the room to install new wiring.

When I did the lighting etc for the office I also ran a cat 5 from the cctv cupboard to the room...

In there is a ps4 , tv and av amp all running shite wifi and my laptop.

The Wi-Fi is via a MK double plug socket with built in 2.4ghz wifi extender.

Ideally I don't want anything else mains powered and was hoping the POE switches could be powered by the HH6, so a 4 port in the cctv cupboard, 1 for cameras, 1 to extend to office, then 4 way in office for PS4 and amp and probably a desk top pc in the future

Rides
    No it doesnt work like that, the HH will not power the POE switch. You supply power to the switch and it powers devices (that are POE capable) from it.

Rides
    Ah, I hoped it was powers like the cameras..... dies a usb powered sw itch exist?

Rides
    Nope not that i am aware of.

Rides
    Why do you need power over Ethernet. It will only power things that support it, like Cisco IP phones, Raspberry Pi with a POE hat etc. You cannot power a PS4 from POE or a PC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    I don't, just wanted the switch to be powered by it, save another plug in the wall on all the time

Rides
    I would doubt you’d get a decent one like that POE isn’t meant for that. It’s meant for low powered devices

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    Basic poe switches can only do a dozen watts to each port and will have overall power limits for the whole chassis, its for camera, phones and small networking items like APs not for powering much bigger.
    You can get small switches that can be powered from poe but they cannot power anything themselves, i dont think the HH even supports POE... does it?