Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bought a Porsche...

Can't tell the difference cleanhands's Avatar
    Rides
    Ok, ok, 997s are the best looking water cooled Porsches. Yours really is lovely and as others have said, nice fleet.

Agree on the whole package thing. It just does a job. Mine's the first car I've owned that I don't think the brakes need uprating. I don't think I'll be tracking mine so as long as they're working correctly if I ever 'cooked' them I really ought to have a word with myself.

I remember reading the phrase "Power settles it" many times and it sounds counterintuitive, but it is so true. That feeling of dabbing the brakes to plant the nose and then the weight adjusting the car's attitude, before powering through is absolutely fantastic.

Rides
    997's are a bit of a sweet spot but it's funny how not having controversially styled headlights gets them out of any criticism for engine bother - my old Lloyd's broker bought a 997 brand new and had bore scoring within 3 years

Not that I don't like the man's car because I really do, but I think the 996 does it for me more - because it's come of age as a classic now, IMO.

Rides

Bought a Porsche...

Quote Originally Posted by cleanhands View Post
    Ok, ok, 997s are the best looking water cooled Porsches. Yours really is lovely and as others have said, nice fleet.

Agree on the whole package thing. It just does a job. Mine's the first car I've owned that I don't think the brakes need uprating. I don't think I'll be tracking mine so as long as they're working correctly if I ever 'cooked' them I really ought to have a word with myself.

I remember reading the phrase "Power settles it" many times and it sounds counterintuitive, but it is so true. That feeling of dabbing the brakes to plant the nose and then the weight adjusting the car's attitude, before powering through is absolutely fantastic.
    Cheers mate. Every drive in it is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by arry View Post
    997's are a bit of a sweet spot but it's funny how not having controversially styled headlights gets them out of any criticism for engine bother - my old Lloyd's broker bought a 997 brand new and had bore scoring within 3 years

Not that I don't like the man's car because I really do, but I think the 996 does it for me more - because it's come of age as a classic now, IMO.
    Yea the engines are known for it but the internet does blow the issue out of proportion and it’s nothing the M96 doesn’t suffer from too.

Since owning my 997 all Porsche’s have grown on me and I can appreciate a nice 996 now. The face lift headlights are more palatable.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean-B View Post
    The face lift headlights are more palatable.
    See that we'll have to disagree on. I much prefer the initial design whereas the facelift looks like an afterthought to me.

Not that I mind either, if I'm honest.

My favourite of the lot is still the 964. The 993's front just looks.....odd.

Rides
    I should also add that I’ve recently fitted some Eibach springs whilst replacing the top mounts and a couple of control arms. It’s took around an inch off the ride height and looks superb now IMO.

Rides
    Yes

How are you finding the Eibach? I've stuck some on my FN2 and it's such a difference

Going to rebuild 996 suspension at some point.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by arry View Post
    Yes

How are you finding the Eibach? I've stuck some on my FN2 and it's such a difference

Going to rebuild 996 suspension at some point.
    It’s all positive for me. A very slight increase in stiffness for normal driving which I now don’t notice anymore but when pressing on it’s a nice improvement and holds itself level more.
    Main gain was the lowering which I’m very happy with.