Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New consoles

Rides

New consoles

So the details are out now about the next gen consoles and ... this time around they are fairly powerful... ok really powerful.

MS seems to have won the spec wars but the PS5 wont be too far behind.

Rides
    So the new eggbox has...
    8xZen2 cpus - this makes it practically a Ryzen 3700 - which is a very powerful base for the cpu. Two modes one at 3.6ghz and one a 3.8ghz, the faster clocked mode is without SMT and the slower is with it switched on - there will be quiet a difference in outright grunt between these two.

52CU rdna 2 graphics, this is the big shocker - this GPU part of the chip is by a long way the fastest APU ever built, its doing circa 12 or so TF and is prob within spitting distance of a 2080ti

It also has 16gb of ram which is partition 10gb fast and 6 gig slow to give the gpu enough bandwidth to main ram and the OS / apps slower access.
    It also has a 1tb ssd and is box shaped... er...

The ps5 is similar
    It has a similar CPU arrangement without the SMT/off / on thing
    It has much less CU's at 36 but they run at a lot higher clock speed than the eggboxes (circa 2.3Ghz) so the graphics difference isnt much.
    The ps5 has variable clocks for a lot of its guts and has a fancy SSD that can turn coal into gold and water into wine.

Rides
    Awesome, out for Xmas I presume?

Rides
    Amazing!! I’m keen for a ps5 and the new GTA

Rides
    Basically if you bought the parts right now to come close to the xbox spec from a pc you would need a 3700 (or a 9900k if you like slow/hot/high power consumption and lax security in your chips) and at least a 2080s or more like the 2080ti - both of which are stupidly overpriced.
    Prob looking at 1400 quids worth of pc easy.
    By the end of the year when they release that speed/spec will prob be sub 1k but still considerably more than £499 which i suspect the consoles will come out at.

Rides
    I’m excited to hear there will be backward compatibility on the ps5, I don’t have many PS4 games but it’s good to hear they won’t be obsolete. Apparently they will look better too!

I’m mainly a GTA nut, can’t wait to kill pedestrians in 4K lol

Rides
    The pc world is undergoing an equally massive change right now, well now AMD has finally found its balls again.
    Zen3 out in a few weeks to buy, RDNA2 6000 series video card nda up tomorrow i think... or announcement.

Dont know much about the new video cards other than they seem competitive with Nvidia at least however Zen3 is blowing four X out of everything and is simply ridiculously fast.

Rides
    After the advice I got in here I’m holding off with the PC until the new stuff is available. TBH I’d have gone PS5, but if I’m limited to Gran Turismo for a sim that’d suck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    The 6xxx launch/announcement just came out, the 6800,6800xt and 6900 all look pretty good.
    The 6800xt looks to be trading blows with the 3080 at less power but it also has 16gb of ram while the 3080 has just 10. The 6800 looks very good against the 3070 with more ram and if the slides are true quite the performance uplift - remember the 3070 is not much different from the 2080ti which just a couple of months back was what???? 1300 quid.

As for the 6900 well...... it looks like its going to spill the 3090s pint. It traded blows and overall looked faster but the slide did say it had Rage mode on (slight overclock/1 -2% prob) and AMDs smart memory mode active with the other slides didnt i dont think.
    Smart memory you need a 500 series MB and a new 5000 series cpu for but this looks to be some console tech come over to the pc, and it could be a killer setup.

Not much info on raytracing, its rumoured to be circa 2080ti which while slower than the 3080 its also hardly used. Remember AMD raytracing will be used on the consoles so its maybe not much of a big deal.

So all in all AMD are back competing at the top end of the GPU table, the AIB cards could be good as clocks up to 2500Mhz have been seen, which bodes well for overclocking the normal cards... The 3000 series from Nvidia does not over clock well as they pushed them very hard from the factory. Also AMD hold the performance per watt crown with all there cards using less power - circa 300w compared to 320/350 ect.

So it will come down to availability but i can tell you this i will be buying a Zen3 cpu, prob keep my 1080ti though.

Rides
    AMD have proper caught up, either that or Intel have just got lazy with their market share. AMDs new stuff is impressively power efficient as well making for a longer run time for laptops.
    SXOC Member #62SXOCCar Gone & ZX-12RPS4 - AFKAN
    Pessimists are people without dreams. dhún an doras ar do bhealach amach...Wii - 2031 7909 3288 5367
    Gamers Read This...

Rides
    Didn't Intel have some issues with the heartbleed bug?

Rides
    Intel have had so many issues the library that holds all the records of there issues blew up.

Like really.. there has been some massive security holes in intel cpu's from the core2 era and beyond, some are patched some are not. Many gamers wont patch them incase it drops performance which has been shown several times.
    AMD has had some minor ones with Zen but as its newer its less likely to have many (or many found yet)

One benchmark of a zen3 cpu showed a 9900k needed 6ghz to equal it at 4.9Ghz... thats er... a very very big lead.

Rides
    So the reviews are out (zen3) and its total annihilation - well near enough.
    Just going to pull the trigger not sure on the ram at the moment but i might push the boat out and get 4000 stuff with good timings as it looks like thats important to Zen3 like the earlier ones.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sx rider View Post
    I’m excited to hear there will be backward compatibility on the ps5, I don’t have many PS4 games but it’s good to hear they won’t be obsolete. Apparently they will look better too!

I’m mainly a GTA nut, can’t wait to kill pedestrians in 4K
    lol
    I was also very excited to hear about backward compatibility because Sony has already broke compatibility with previous generations so there was a possibility to see similar strategy again. Luckily it didn't happen!

Rides
    Has anyone bought a new console yet?

I’m going to buy a ps5 at some point but will wait a bit seeing as they are quite hard to come by at the moment

Rides
    Funny you should say that, by pure coincidence my PS4 has started playing up. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..............cant think of what i should do now?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sx rider View Post
    Has anyone bought a new console yet?

I’m going to buy a ps5 at some point but will wait a bit seeing as they are quite hard to come by at the moment
    I bought one on release, took ages to download the 200+Gb of updates.

The graphics are improved even on ps4 titles, Warzone looks amazing (and I turn off as many of the processor draining effects)
    however im not entirely sure Cod Coldwar is that much better than it would appear on a PS4...I just wasn't wowed like I was when I played war zone (PS4 on the PS5) for the first time

The controller has taken some getting used to, its heavy I was still on my original release day PS4 controller so it had moulded to me so the new one feels slightly cumbersome.

The feedback on the triggers is awesome, this for me is the biggest improvement.

the XMB is different and not as intuitive as the PS4 one IMO...or perhaps I'm getting old

Edit: the unit is fecking huge and is ugly as sin, looks really awkward.
    Last edited by Hugh Janus; 24-11-2020 at 10:48.

Rides
    The two large outer panles pop off, get a can of black plastidip and fix the ugly.

Rides
    for me its the gloss inner panel that makes it look shit, I think its because there is a just a USB sitting there just sitting in its cut out hole, if it had a frame around the USB it'd look less "made in china"

Rides
    Sounds like it’s a good upgrade, I’ve heard good things about the triggers being dynamic.

I don’t mind the looks of it, definitely a lot larger than a PS4 though