Thread: Do I need a new router

Rides

Do I need a new router

A question for any IT expert out there. Currently have virgin media and never had an issue but recently added a ring door bell that’s barely connected with the WiFi, bought a booster that’s enabled a continuous connection which is good but I’ve done some reading and realised the virgin router is basic and upgrading to a better one might help.

Any pointers would be appreciated to narrow to a couple of good options please! I am lost when it comes to this type of thing - VDSL2?

Rides
    I use a Netger Orbi mesh setup - https://www.netgear.co.uk/orbi/rbk50.aspx

Would definitely recommend it.

Rides
    Cool thanks mate, will have a look into this

Rides
    Pfsense FTW - that said its a "little" overkill

Rides
    Hmm yes I think that might be overkill

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Actual_Ben_Taylor View Post
    I use a Netger Orbi mesh setup - https://www.netgear.co.uk/orbi/rbk50.aspx

Would definitely recommend it.
    Easy to set up Ben?

I've always had issues getting a Wi-Fi signal to go down to my kitchen. Wondering if I can set up the 'Orbi' part of that in my back bedroom that's above the kitchen then that might give me coverage.

Rides
    I just got some cheep APs from ebay and fling them on both floors of my house, fully managed and much better than a crap router / AP all in one most folk use.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sideways14a View Post
    I just got some cheep APs from ebay and fling them on both floors of my house, fully managed and much better than a crap router / AP all in one most folk use.
    Can't really run an access point. The router is tucked away (I know, I know it's the wife's aversion to cabling and electrical goods on display that does it) so I can't easily connect one as it would defeat the object.

Tried the plug in range extenders but that doesn't work because the ringmain the router is on is a fused spur away from the rest of the house and I don't think they like that at all.

What I need really is the router to stay tucked away but with a 'repeater' or whatever the hell it is somewhere more central / towards the back of the house to spread the love a bit.

Rides
    Well you can do that but if you can run a network cable to the rest of house AP it will work a lot better.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sideways14a View Post
    Well you can do that but if you can run a network cable to the rest of house AP it will work a lot better.
    Ta

I have just thought of a plan actually, I could run one across the roof space. Hmm..... might work.

Rides
    Wired always is better, many folk say wireless is fine and for 90% of people it prob is but i would rather not have all my 1s and zeros go through the air... Which reminds me, i best cable up my TV as its on wireless.

Rides
    I’ve got a telewest point in the other side of my place, that’s Virgin lines right? Maybe I could get that to work with another router on the same network?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by arry View Post
    Easy to set up Ben?

I've always had issues getting a Wi-Fi signal to go down to my kitchen. Wondering if I can set up the 'Orbi' part of that in my back bedroom that's above the kitchen then that might give me coverage.
    Yep, you can do it all from an app on your phone.

My ISP supplied router is a bit crap, so the Orbi router is hard wired so I can get full 300mb wireless speeds.
    Last edited by Actual_Ben_Taylor; 03-04-2020 at 12:27.

Rides
    Bumpo

I plumped for the Orbi back at the start of lockdown and on the whole it's been pretty good, but....

Hit an issue recently. My desktop PC's wireless adaptor seems to love swapping between the hub and the satellite. Endlessly so, especially whilst it's in the middle of something Super frustrating as from what I've read there's no way of ensuring a device only sees one of the pair, not both of the pair, and therefore where it is, is obviously confusing it. However, my phone, my laptop, my tablet - wife's laptop - everything else absolutely fine, and only switch over when they're much nearer the satellite. The position of the satellite is fine for everything else and is doing what I want it to do and then some, even giving me some WiFi out in the garden - so I'd really like not to have to move it.

Tempted to buy a new WiFi adaptor for the PC and see if that just solves the issue?

Any other thoughts?

Ta

Rides
    Try changing the 'fast roaming' setting to whatever it currently isn't (right at the bottom of the page under advanced settings > wireless settings)
    Last edited by Actual_Ben_Taylor; 01-09-2020 at 15:48.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Actual_Ben_Taylor View Post
    Try changing the 'fast roaming' setting to whatever it currently isn't (right at the bottom of the page under advanced settings > wireless settings)
    Thanks mate. Will have to try to get in there. Have been doing everything off the App on phone - not logged into the router specifically yet.