Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: The 'Things To Do Whilst You're Stuck Indoors On Lockdown' thread

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by arry View Post
    Because people are obsessed with actual speed and pay little regard to the feeling of speed which is more important
    My 3 fun cars illustrate this very nicely. The 135i is far and away the fastest and most capable but is trying to kill me all the time - its like a fight, you feel compelled to drive as fast as you can in it to get the most rewarding experience. When it goes wrong it will be massive
    The 355 is still a very fast car but its more like ballroom dancing, it works with you, covers up your mistakes and although its more fun as you going quicker its still awesome at 60%.
    The MR2 is impossible to drive without grinning, it has all of the BMW's "make me go faster" DNA but isnt powerful enough to get into major trouble or expensive enough to worry about the inevitable armco/ditch/hedge interface.

Ive got a trackday coming up (hopefully) and Im genuinely torn which car to take, its a good problem to have.
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by docwra View Post
    My 3 fun cars illustrate this very nicely. The 135i is far and away the fastest and most capable but is trying to kill me all the time - its like a fight, you feel compelled to drive as fast as you can in it to get the most rewarding experience. When it goes wrong it will be massive
    The 355 is still a very fast car but its more like ballroom dancing, it works with you, covers up your mistakes and although its more fun as you going quicker its still awesome at 60%.
    The MR2 is impossible to drive without grinning, it has all of the BMW's "make me go faster" DNA but isnt powerful enough to get into major trouble or expensive enough to worry about the inevitable armco/ditch/hedge interface.

Ive got a trackday coming up (hopefully) and Im genuinely torn which car to take, its a good problem to have.

Don't smash that 355 up before I have had chance to see it / be in it.

Rides
    Today's little adventure - signed up for Beer 52 club

If you use code AP3 you can get 10 beers for only 5 dollah Nine5 yah Oh, it enters you into a subscription, but you can cancel that if the beer is shit so hey, I'll have a couple of cases out of them and see how my shit lands.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by docwra View Post

Can I beg to differ? Ferrari’s are only pretty good on a circuit. Under the national speed limit the 355 felt a bit meh. Comes alive over 100 mph at Thruxton but on the roads a bit meh. Understand what I’m saying?

It’s probably like a lot of “Supercars” they are too good for the normal road,

Am I really getting old? The 370 is fast enough. GTR is painful at times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rides
    This is all why i got the 5.
    A bit like Docs 135, my s14 would have killed me and most of the county i was in when i had a whoopsi - it was just ****ing so fast - 160.... no problem, it was nowt to it.

I would never get a bike, i dont like them anyway but all the folk i know who have them or have had them have all came off them... most just a wee incident but some big ones as well.
    With the 5, going pretty quick (cos it still can shift) feels like your strapped to a Saturn 5 sometimes. Also i aint been pushing it to 100% of its handling really, but sometimes when i really give it some major on a roundabout i cant believe how ****ing quick it changes direction and holds the road.

Small, light and reasonably decent power is all thats needed.. but.. BHP sells to the .... the easily impressed... thats why there are Audi RS6s...

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sideways14a View Post
    This is all why i got the 5.
    A bit like Docs 135, my s14 would have killed me and most of the county i was in when i had a whoopsi - it was just ****ing so fast - 160.... no problem, it was nowt to it.

I would never get a bike, i dont like them anyway but all the folk i know who have them or have had them have all came off them... most just a wee incident but some big ones as well.
    With the 5, going pretty quick (cos it still can shift) feels like your strapped to a Saturn 5 sometimes. Also i aint been pushing it to 100% of its handling really, but sometimes when i really give it some major on a roundabout i cant believe how ****ing quick it changes direction and holds the road.

Small, light and reasonably decent power is all thats needed.. but.. BHP sells to the .... the easily impressed... thats why there are Audi RS6s...
    I'm really enjoying having these two - totally different cars, one relatively fast, one just 'fast' but both have a good dose of fun to them. The 911 is just so easy to drive quickly; Cyril the Civic is more like whipping a spazzer to win the egg and spoon race - you have to work at it, but it's rewarding when you see the laughs it's getting from the spectators.

Rides
    I'm really enjoying having these two - totally different cars, one relatively fast, one just 'fast' but both have a good dose of fun to them. The 911 is just so easy to drive quickly; Cyril the Civic is more like whipping a spazzer to win the egg and spoon race - you have to work at it, but it's rewarding when you see the laughs it's getting from the spectators.

I had an Astra GTE, MK1 and a Renault Gordini Turbo.
    Very jealous my brother has a 1.6 205 and a 1.9

You have named your civic Cyril?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Asht_200 View Post
    Very jealous my brother has a 1.6 205 and a 1.9
    I had two 1.6's - one in red and this one in Miami Blue

You have named your civic Cyril?
    Just seemed appropriate. Not.

Rides
    Can I beg to differ? Ferrari’s are only pretty good on a circuit. Under the national speed limit the 355 felt a bit meh. Comes alive over 100 mph at Thruxton but on the roads a bit meh. Understand what I’m saying?
    Sorry, how many Ferraris do you own again?
    Absolute bollocks TBH, every Ferrari Ive driven has been an experience before you even start moving and the fact a 355 isnt insanely fast means you can actually enjoy it too, I doubt you can floor a Superamerica when youre in light traffic.
    Thats kind of the whole point of post, the BMW has to be caned to give the best experience, the Red car and the old Toyota doent.

Full agree with Sideways, I like riding bikes but I wouldnt do it on the road but they share the lightness and simplicity of a proper sportscar, I reckon thats where the real fun is. Ive had great days at the Ring and Spa in my Bimmer but the one that sticks in my mind is me in a stock MR2 and 4 mates in MX5's in the wet at Snetterton, an inch off line ofr a foot early on the brakes would lose you 4 places by the next corner, awesome fun
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by emmaryan View Post
    Hey Guys!
    Thinking to take a start here, so why not discussing my routine during this Lockdown.
    Other than watching series on Netflix and Amazon, I have started taking online courses to get boost on professional career.
    I have grown some veggies in my backyard but their tastes are not good as last week I pluck some lady fingers but they were not grown as they need more time to grow bigger.
    Other than that I work from home and look after my younger siblings
    Hi Emma

What's the lockdown like in Ohio then?

Rides
    Been out and about again getting air, this time i nipped over to the forest of Ae. Didnt get out or interact with anyone cos of virus and all that BS - Although it was also cold so... i wasnt going up the forest anyway.
    Another nice place literally less than 10mins from my door.

Rides
    Wish we had some hills

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sideways14a View Post
    Been out and about again getting air, this time i nipped over to the forest of Ae. Didnt get out or interact with anyone cos of virus and all that BS - Although it was also cold so... i wasnt going up the forest anyway.
    Another nice place literally less than 10mins from my door.

Looks stunning

Out and about again today. Went on a bit of a history tour aiming for this:
    http://www.capabilitybrown.org/garden/belhus/

A serpentine lake by Capability Brown for the Belhus Estate in Essex. Unfortunately, the mansion is long since gone and some absolute ****ing donut decided to build a motorway through the bloody lake - literally

Also visited a very old and interesting church - round flint tower, one of only 6 in Essex supposedly:

Set off into the trails:

What's left of the 'pond' 'ball' end - the trail doesn't go all the way around unfortunately:

And what's cutting it off from the tail - the M25:

The long part of the pond - looking very still:

What kind of penis does that? Honestly - it's bad enough they tore the mansion house down that it used to belong to because it'd cost a few quid to fix after the army fecked it up, but building a motorway through it...

The mansion looked like this in 1930's

Its foundations can still be seen in on satellite view here:
    https://www.google.com/maps/place/51...46!4d0.2625997

I wanted to go explore but someone was having a game of golf over the top of it

Rides
    Nice pics. I’d love to have a nosey around copped hall (Copt Hall) which you can see from the M25 in Herts

Rides
    Nice pics. I’d love to have a nosey around copped hall (Copt Hall) which you can see from the M25 in Herts
    I ride past it on the way back from the Mardyke (the river actually runs behind it, and onwards towards Orsett Hall). Coppid Hall has a link to The Dell by virtue of the familes that used to live in the area being close knit; I can't seem to find the information on it anymore mind.

Unfortunately Coppid is now flats
    https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property...-86762120.html

Ah sorry just realised you'd not said Coppid!

Oh well, all the same gravy lol.

Rides
    No copped hall. Drive past the M11 anti clockwise and you can see it on the left. Was destroyed by fire, no roof etc

Rides
    No copped hall. Drive past the M11 anti clockwise and you can see it on the left. Was destroyed by fire, no roof etc

Yeah I noticed all too late it wasn't what you said - of course because I've been looking at Coppid Hall a lot, it was just how my brain interpreted it.

I wouldn't mind a shuftie around that either TBH.

Also of interest but I'm not sure I could actually get down there on a bike, and couldn't leave the bike anywhere safe at the top, is this:
    https://archaeologydataservice.ac.uk...=GreyLitSeries
    https://www.28dayslater.co.uk/thread...t-essex.63643/
    https://www.google.com/maps/place/51...35!4d0.2332034

Last edited by arry; 20-05-2020 at 10:40.

Down in the foam, playing with the string...
    Rides
    Nice to see people keeping busy!

Done a few more bits to the house and almost finished my to do list (and added a few more bits!) And had an estate agent come out for a chat and valuation. This has worked out quite well so we now know an approximate budget for a new house

Rediscovered my '92 Kona Explosif at the back of my garage and decided it's my relatively inexpensive lockdown project. It's a bit tatty after 5 or 6 years at the back of a garage and heavy use prior (I bought it as NOS in '93) so a restomod style has been decided upon. So far various carbon bits have been ordered and a nice set of Pace carbon suspension forks (RC36) have been acquired. 3 hours of stripping and, cleaning and polishing and they came up really nice. I'll put up a post with pics etc once I start putting it all together.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Teggers View Post
    Rediscovered my '92 Kona Explosif at the back of my garage and decided it's my relatively inexpensive lockdown project. It's a bit tatty after 5 or 6 years at the back of a garage and heavy use prior (I bought it as NOS in '93) so a restomod style has been decided upon. So far various carbon bits have been ordered and a nice set of Pace carbon suspension forks (RC36) have been acquired. 3 hours of stripping and, cleaning and polishing and they came up really nice. I'll put up a post with pics etc once I start putting it all together.
    that'll be cool to see

Little run out to Mundon today to enjoy the bank holiday weather. Took the Enfield and stopped at this lovely old church for a spot of picnic lunch, then had a walk around the area.

Behind it, there's a petrified wood!

Rides
    that'll be cool to see

Little run out to Mundon today to enjoy the bank holiday weather. Took the Enfield and stopped at this lovely old church for a spot of picnic lunch, then had a walk around the area.

Behind it, there's a petrified wood!

Which church is that?

I have a love for old churches at the moment