Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: The 'Things To Do Whilst You're Stuck Indoors On Lockdown' thread

Rides
    I have created another thread, but seeing as people are reading this....

I need to build my stamina up and figured, best way is to get my Mountain bike out, give it a through clean (which I’m quite handy at)

But what’s the best stuff to oil the chain, gears etc? I was wondering if chain oil for a chainsaw would be sufficient as it has no sling etc? What do you guys use?

I have helmet, cycling wear (shorts and shirt) and shoes, but never really used them. Should do while we can’t do anything else at the moment

Arry. I can give some tips about detailing. Products, methods. I’ve got a carpet brush to go on a Dual action polisher and after steam cleaning and using VAX carpet cleaner . A filthy old carpet comes up like new (showroom)

A leather brush on the DA also really cleans out the cracks on old leather as a lot of the light colour is dirt. Once cleaned out and conditioned they look almost new. You can condition leather with Carnauba wax.

Just make sure you have clean paint brushes or detailing brushes to get in the nooks and crannies.

If you have iso-propyl alcohol, it helps disinfect things like steering wheels, gear knob and hand rake and anything else you touch

While locked down I have had a bit of OCD cleaning cars. Done my 2, got my Mum’s to do and my Uncles Taxi (he cant use it at the moment so figured when he can, he should go out with it looking spangly)

I even purchase diagnostics app for my iPhone and already diagnosed lambda sensor has gone on the Z (I already have a Kiwi PLX WiFi OBD2 Dongle)

I may have mentioned before and I’m not getting commission. Larry Kosilla’s Ammo range is great. I used his Mud (Tyre gel) on Mum’s CrV bumper plastics a month ago and it still looks new. Tyres look great. I even use it on the kick panels inside the doors. The rest are reserved for the 370, as it is quite expensive. Poorboys on the rest, although Meguiars Ultimate cutting and polish are great too. A lot of people have mentioned chemical boys, but not used that. Also a Karcher undercarriage washer is great, but you need the car up on jacks (quick jacks are great for that)

Also. If you have a bottle of screen cleaner. Clean the TV. I did and realised my eyesight wasn’t so bad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rides
    Bit OTT with the lid chain..

As nowhere local has any VHT paint in stock, decided did it and get lunch on

Bit of concker tree for fire and....

Juicy burgers, it passes the awesome test

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Asht_200 View Post
    I have created another thread, but seeing as people are reading this....

I need to build my stamina up and figured, best way is to get my Mountain bike out, give it a through clean (which I’m quite handy at)

But what’s the best stuff to oil the chain, gears etc? I was wondering if chain oil for a chainsaw would be sufficient as it has no sling etc? What do you guys use?

I have helmet, cycling wear (shorts and shirt) and shoes, but never really used them. Should do while we can’t do anything else at the moment
    I just use any old oil that I have hanging around and don't worry about it too much. The white WD40 all purpose thing is my current bottle of hanging around doing nothing so it gets thrown on.

Arry. I can give some tips about detailing. Products, methods. I’ve got a carpet brush to go on a Dual action polisher and after steam cleaning and using VAX carpet cleaner . A filthy old carpet comes up like new (showroom)

A leather brush on the DA also really cleans out the cracks on old leather as a lot of the light colour is dirt. Once cleaned out and conditioned they look almost new. You can condition leather with Carnauba wax.

Just make sure you have clean paint brushes or detailing brushes to get in the nooks and crannies.

If you have iso-propyl alcohol, it helps disinfect things like steering wheels, gear knob and hand rake and anything else you touch

While locked down I have had a bit of OCD cleaning cars. Done my 2, got my Mum’s to do and my Uncles Taxi (he cant use it at the moment so figured when he can, he should go out with it looking spangly)

I even purchase diagnostics app for my iPhone and already diagnosed lambda sensor has gone on the Z (I already have a Kiwi PLX WiFi OBD2 Dongle)

I may have mentioned before and I’m not getting commission. Larry Kosilla’s Ammo range is great. I used his Mud (Tyre gel) on Mum’s CrV bumper plastics a month ago and it still looks new. Tyres look great. I even use it on the kick panels inside the doors. The rest are reserved for the 370, as it is quite expensive. Poorboys on the rest, although Meguiars Ultimate cutting and polish are great too. A lot of people have mentioned chemical boys, but not used that. Also a Karcher undercarriage washer is great, but you need the car up on jacks (quick jacks are great for that)

Also. If you have a bottle of screen cleaner. Clean the TV. I did and realised my eyesight wasn’t so bad

Lol, I do need to do the interiors of both cars actually - when I can be bothered. I use Renapur on the leather, seems to be a good feed.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by DLowe View Post
    Juicy burgers, it passes the awesome test
    So jealous

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by arry View Post
    I just use any old oil that I have hanging around and don't worry about it too much. The white WD40 all purpose thing is my current bottle of hanging around doing nothing so it gets thrown on.

Lol, I do need to do the interiors of both cars actually - when I can be bothered. I use Renapur on the leather, seems to be a good feed.
    Apparently spray grease is good for bike chains.

I ended up detailing the crap out of it. It wasn’t an expensive bike but has had modifications. Think I bought it from Decathalon...

20 years of dirt accumulated in the shed has come off and it looks spangly new.

Now I have a 40 year old Murray 10 Baja to restore . That’s going to be fun. One of the original mountain bikes over here. Think Vintage Aston Martin. Plated welds on the frame like a proper BMX. Weighs a tonne. Straight and plate welded forks. Probably need to get the wheels blasted and powder coated.

Suntour Derailleur and brakes - only 10 gears. Blue frame, wheels and brakes Gold - guess I know where Subaru got that idea. I have to restore it now I have mentioned it

Rides

Suntour Derailleur and brakes - only 10 gears. Blue frame, wheels and brakes Gold - guess I know where Subaru got that idea. I have to restore it now I have mentioned it
    How are you getting on with it?

I headed out again today. Decided to do the Mardyke trail the reverse way to which I hit it the last time. That turned out to be a good move as it's pretty much all downhill that way, meaning a lot more momentum and some hairier moments thrown into the mix.

It is very, very pretty down there and heading downhill seems to make the views open up more too.

Hoping I can find a slightly longer trail - time to hit the MTB forums and see.

Rides
    How are you getting on with it?

I headed out again today. Decided to do the Mardyke trail the reverse way to which I hit it the last time. That turned out to be a good move as it's pretty much all downhill that way, meaning a lot more momentum and some hairier moments thrown into the mix.

It is very, very pretty down there and heading downhill seems to make the views open up more too.

Hoping I can find a slightly longer trail - time to hit the MTB forums and see.
    I think it’s going to be a long term project.

Does anyone know where I can get parts chromed? Or should I powder coat?

Rides
    We used a local electroplater over on one of the industrial estates to chrome some old bedknobs. About £80 for the 4 if I remember right. They'd gotten a bit marked from all the handcuff chaffing

Rides
    We used a local electroplater over on one of the industrial estates to chrome some old bedknobs. About £80 for the 4 if I remember right. They'd gotten a bit marked from all the handcuff chaffing
    Handcuffs?

Rides

Rides
    I manage my mental health by going out for a nice drive.
    Seeing as how i have some glorious scenery within 5 mins of my house i might as well use it.
    Ohh and i didnt have a blue badge but the old **** who was going to park there got pushed in the Nith and left to float out into the Solway.

20200508-193022

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sideways14a View Post
    I manage my mental health by going out for a nice drive.
    Seeing as how i have some glorious scenery within 5 mins of my house i might as well use it.
    Ohh and i didnt have a blue badge but the old **** who was going to park there got pushed in the Nith and left to float out into the Solway.

20200508-193022
    Nice

I am thinking of heading up your way in September for my birthday; do a little distillery tour and NC500 ish sort of maybe.

Rides
    I did a tour of Scotland a couple of years back in the 5, was just mental. You cant beat it.
    If your down in D&G watch out for some 'tard sitting in the middle of the road doing 0-60 runs for his phones App.... thats what i have been up to today, roads are quiet so i am hitting rev limiters.

Rides
    ohh incase anyone was wondering... 0-60 on a flat road - in the MX5 with the roof up..

Best 5.7 sec, several others at around 6s

Apparently the MX5 is "slow".....

Rides
    ohh incase anyone was wondering... 0-60 on a flat road - in the MX5 with the roof up..

Best 5.7 sec, several others at around 6s

Apparently the MX5 is "slow".....
    Because people are obsessed with actual speed and pay little regard to the feeling of speed which is more important. So much so they're happy to bore on that their diesel executive car has all this shove so nothing outpaces them on the M4, without stopping to realise just how utterly ****ing dreary that sounds.

Rides
    Yeah that the thing, giving it large in the 5 for a quarter mile or 0-100 test feels like its going to take off.
    The SX, once you got past the pant staining 0-30 bit where you were never sure if you will go in the direction you wanted to or end up backwards through some poor sods hoose felt calm - usually. Ok it wasnt calm reigning in ~400 but it was not like the 5, it felt... more raw - the 5 feels like your doing 90 at 50.... which is great.
    Been out more today, got a 14.3 which is a PB for a quarter in the 5 and pretty decent to be honest.
    As for pictures i will be out snapping more over the next few days, i did want to get up Riddings hill where this http://tx.mb21.co.uk/gallery/gallerypage.php?txid=1370 resides and i can see over the whole town but... alas it was closed off yesterday when i went up.
    I am thinking of going back up Criffel which is nearby, and in that picture above... its been years since i climbed that fooker but if the winds stay down i might try and kill myself going up it for some photos.

Rides
    Because people are obsessed with actual speed and pay little regard to the feeling of speed which is more important. So much so they're happy to bore on that their diesel executive car has all this shove so nothing outpaces them on the M4, without stopping to realise just how utterly ****ing dreary that sounds.
    Haven’t you forgotten. White Astra Vans are the fastest.

Ask Ed how he maxed his Z32. My mum went ballistic because he had my little brother with him

You notice speed when the shockwave lifts a Vauxhall Nova

Rides
    Ask Ed how he maxed his Z32. My mum went ballistic because he had my little brother with him

That was 4th, and off the throttle (look at the boost gauge )

Rides
    Been out more today, got a 14.3 which is a PB for a quarter in the 5 and pretty decent to be honest.
    That's what people with modded S13's were making at TSC back in the day.

As for pictures i will be out snapping more over the next few days, i did want to get up Riddings hill where this http://tx.mb21.co.uk/gallery/gallerypage.php?txid=1370 resides and i can see over the whole town but... alas it was closed off yesterday when i went up.
    I am thinking of going back up Criffel which is nearby, and in that picture above... its been years since i climbed that fooker but if the winds stay down i might try and kill myself going up it for some photos.
    Looking forward to it - but hasn't Wee Jimmy C told you lot to stay the **** in?

Rides
    That's what people with modded S13's were making at TSC back in the day.

Looking forward to it - but hasn't Wee Jimmy C told you lot to stay the **** in?
    Barry Caleini got into the 13s and then he and Scolding suggested I get my engine rebuilt