Thread: Tachometer Issues

Rides

Tachometer Issues

So hey guys, I've just bought my first s14a. The biggest problem is that the car itself is heavily modified, both visually and mechanically. The car has a lot of issues, some of them I've already solved but the one that is still nagging me to this day is the dead tachometer. I've done some research and found out that a simple re-soldering job should do the trick, but then again it helps those who at least have some life signs from the tachometer. Mine is completely dead, and I've disconnected it and found some minor cracks on the small solder points, the ones that kinda hold the screws in place (if that makes sense). I did re-melt the solder but that didn't do the trick. So I decided to try and find sensor itself. But then again when I try to google it's location all I get is the speed sensor, and the distributor. So here I am, lost and confused, anyone got any hints and tricks for me?

Rides
    Welcome onboard. Honestly, it will be the joints. Do them again and be thorough. After ball joint questions this must be the most posted about topic on the forum history. Lots of resources to search from.

Good luck.

Rides
    so okay, I did reflow some new solder on top of the corner joints, didn't help it's still dead. But just for curiosity, the speed sensor that goes into the gearbox is the one that picks up the rpms, right? is there a way to check if that thing is okay?

Rides
    Yeah, there is a good guide to how to test a generic sensor here

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/the-t...-sensors/28754

Rides
    Okay, so I went the extra mile and bought a tach gauge. Connected the thing to the grounding screw and connected the red wire to the 12v screw. The gauge lights up when I turn the ignition on. But when I tap the "impulse" screw with the green wire that comes from the "aftermarket" gauge, and start the engine and press the accelerator, nothing happens. Both, the oem and the aftermarket one still won't budge. So now I fully believe that it's not the dry solder joints. I went through all the joints and all of them seem fine. So now at this moment I'm all open for suggestions. Oh and by the way, I forgot to mention that the fuel gauge was dead from the start aswell. The poor thing reads beyond empty, even though my tank is quite full.