Page 31 of 37 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: We seem to be missing a COVID-19 thread

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by alanjuggler View Post
    Sweden might not have a formal lockdown but there's a lot of staying at home - look at the hotel / bar / restaurant bankruptcy rate. You might be able to go if the local bar is open but how many people are?

What is policy and what is practice are different things.

I work for a Swedish company in the UK and we were sent home a week before most companies had.
    Absolutely. The Swede’s di seem to have a bit more common sense.

Back to the Vaccine which is supposed to start human trials tomorrow. Let’s not forget it will be around 18 months before it is generally available, which may be too late.

This Pandemic is different to others. If you look at the last 2 killer pandemics, the Hong Kong Flu and the 89 Flu (I believe) peak deaths occurred December / January in the Winter, this one is in the Spring. We were able to curb those because vaccines could be modified and we were constantly preparing and researching flu vaccines. If you look back to when vaccines weren’t available the diseases typically come in second and third waves. We can’t use the 1918 Spanish Flu as a model because World War 1 accelerated it’s spread, but you will note people become complacent and the death rate is typically greater during the 2nd and 3rd waves - I truly hope this doesn’t happen.

I may have mentioned, thankfully I very likely had a dodgy test result as did my GF and her breathing issues were most likely a lupus flare up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    Also going by all the comments on government videos by Brits- the Brits are typically too stupid to be trusted to have any common sense and just like to moan. Whinging Poms isn’t that what they Aussies call us. We have a reputation of whining

Rides
    Here here. As tourists we are dreadful as well. Did you see them in the Spanish bars getting arrested?

Enjoying reading about the PPE the government isn't buying for our NHS frontline staff today.

Trying to explain to my friends on the net that we have a newly voted in Government that has:

• Underfunded the NHS for the decade the party has been in power
    • Cut real term funding year on year since at least 2015
    • Is lead by a PM with a cabinet that all voted against a payrise for nurses in 2017
    • Didn't order PPE in time even though there was plenty of notice
    • Isn't ordering PPE from plenty of UK companies that have made themselves available to do it, and is flying it in from Turkey

All at the same time celebrates the achievements of people making PPE at home, and old people doing incredible things to raise money that the Government hasn't put in.

And the electorate laps it up. It's quite extraordinary when you sit back and digest it.

Rides
    Ryan,

Actually In 2017 they voted against a bill to lift the public sector pay freeze because the bill didn’t allow them to differentiate between dustmen and nurses. In 2017 they did give the NHS (especially nurses) a pay rise but this country seems to take the piss out of people working on the front line - Nurses and Armed
    Forces. Underfunded and Ill equipped

Don’t believe what the media are saying. The NHS has had increased
    Public funding because it’s not just the conservatives, but “New Labour” also underfunded the NHS and then turned to PFI.

But also consider the number of people who have private medical insurance and never use it. We should because those people would take the burden off the NHS

Rides
    It that doesn’t excuse them from being caught on the hop when Italy and Spain were quarantining millions.

Leon May bang on about being hard done by a lockdown, try Spain. Children aren’t even allowed outside their house in some areas

Rides
    Yep, I remember it was the opposition to amending the queen’s speech. But it still stands that it was nurses. Did the rise in 2017 come as a result of media pressure?

Rides
    No, they were always going to give the nurses a rise - my GF had already been told before the bill was voted on

Rides
    The NHS has always needed some sort of reform... it’s the age old too many chiefs, not enough Indians and hospital managers who don’t really know what is required.... but they left it in the hands of a total ****wit Jeremy Hunt (Rhymes with ****) to oversee it and he did a complete balls up

Rides
    Like most big government or big public sector bodies the NHS is a big fat hairy mess of inefficiency - good luck sorting that out whatever government is in charge as - like the tax system - pretty much too big to fix.

Rides
    Then I take that point back, partially.

Rides
    There is also the question about sourcing PPE here.

Certain medical equipment etc has to have a completely validated supply chain and manufacturing process. Just because someone comes out with PPE and offers it to the NHS does not mean they are allowed to purchase it. It is a legal minefield. I’m guessing because PPE is supposed to protect not only workers but patients also from dangerous pathogens this would come under the required to be validated. I wondered how the Pitlane lot managed to have ventilators available so quickly. Mercedes probably were able to get it pushed through so quickly because they worked in conjunction with UCL at the Crick Institute which has close ties with the Medical Research council and MHRA (Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency) and if they were working with other F1 teams were likely to have collaborated in doing so.

Just imagine if someone in a Covid ward has ended up wearing an eBay special PPE and got infected. The law firms would be circling like buzzards.

This is something I do have some knowledge of and not just read about or researched it as I used to do the validation of the computer systems running the supply chain process and manufacturing at IVAX / TEVA Pharmaceuticals (didn’t seem to stop the QC manager in the Balham Antibiotics plant from wandering through the Antibiotics mixing room whilst smoking his pipe - ever wondered why Antibiotics have that yellow tint to them )

Half the European HQ was made up of “Regulatory Affairs” who as their name suggests dealt with all the regulatory tape etc

Rides
    But because is Brits invented comedy...

https://youtu.be/qsQ5h2zpPbw

Rides
    So the Today programme on R4 is suggesting they believe we might get a further announcement about the use of masks by the public this week, following on from Germany.

I haven't read up yet, but from what I've skim read it's now mandatory in Germany to wear a face mask on public transport or shopping?

How is that going to affect NHS PPE I wonder.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by piman2k View Post
    So the Today programme on R4 is suggesting they believe we might get a further announcement about the use of masks by the public this week, following on from Germany.

I haven't read up yet, but from what I've skim read it's now mandatory in Germany to wear a face mask on public transport or shopping?

How is that going to affect NHS PPE I wonder.
    It wont effect the supply of PPE to the NHS at all.

We are currently shipping millions of units of PPE abroad, there is no problem with PPE regarding supply in the UK.

The problem is the people responsible for acquiring PPE in the NHS; they are inept and would of been sacked years ago if the worked in the private sector.

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by LeonatLarge View Post
    The problem is the people responsible for acquiring PPE in the NHS; they are inept and would of been sacked years ago if the worked in the private sector.
    Blimey, had to happen sooner or later I suppose. Hes only right

Guy I know does large scale wholesale PPE and medical equipment, he has been trying to supply to the NHS for 10+ years but doesnt get a look in basically because he didnt go to Eton - most of his business comes from private trusts and overseas supply.
    When it became apparent there was going to be a pandemic he tried once again to get onto the NHS supply list but was rejected, only for them to be on the phone again a few weeks later asking if he could help when they realised how hard they had dropped the ball.

Obviously sold everything to his private and overseas customers by then as they arent ****ing stupid. Will there be any enquiry into this? If there is will it just be brushed under the carpet like everything else is these days?
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by LeonatLarge View Post
    It wont effect the supply of PPE to the NHS at all.

We are currently shipping millions of units of PPE abroad, there is no problem with PPE regarding supply in the UK.
    Hang on, we (the public) haven't yet been told we have to wear masks. If tonight the government make a decision to tell the general population they need to wear PPE, I can damn guarantee you it will affect the supply to the NHS.

But I agree about the people tasked to buy it, like I said above.

Rides
    Ignore Leona. He / she ( it does frequent transgender sites) is ignorant and doesn’t understand what is required

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by docwra View Post
    Blimey, had to happen sooner or later I suppose. Hes only right

Guy I know does large scale wholesale PPE and medical equipment, he has been trying to supply to the NHS for 10+ years but doesnt get a look in basically because he didnt go to Eton - most of his business comes from private trusts and overseas supply.
    When it became apparent there was going to be a pandemic he tried once again to get onto the NHS supply list but was rejected, only for them to be on the phone again a few weeks later asking if he could help when they realised how hard they had dropped the ball.

Obviously sold everything to his private and overseas customers by then as they arent ****ing stupid. Will there be any enquiry into this? If there is will it just be brushed under the carpet like everything else is these days?
    Alex I know this sounds callous, but was his supply chain validated IQ OQ PQ? If not he won’t get a look in. His PPE maybe as good or even better but while we are part of the EU our MHRA has to conform, even if the rest of the EU doesn’t. It doesn’t make sense, does it

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Asht_200 View Post
    Ignore Leona. He / she ( it does frequent transgender sites) is ignorant and doesn’t understand what is required

You're the ignorant one, you claimed vitimin D doesn't help protect against Covid 19 even though I told you it did on this thread days ago explained why and gave you scientifically backed evidence.

PHE and the NHS have took my expert advice eventually.

I have been eating a Corona diet rich in vitimin D since mid march

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/h...rom%20%251%24s

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/healt...rom%20%251%24s

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/114614...-lockdown-nhs/
    Last edited by LeonatLarge; 23-04-2020 at 12:54.

Rides
    Sweden are near reaching herd immunity.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/22/no-l...-in-weeks.html