Page 19 of 37 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: We seem to be missing a COVID-19 thread

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Asht_200 View Post
    I was chatting to Michelle last night and we realised in decades to come, children are going to be taught about this in schools, your grandchildren. History is being made. Let’s not **** it up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The Japanese wear face masks even when there isn't a pandemic in progress. This means the country has far larger stocks readily available.

But how many generations will be taught about it? I don't recall being taught about the post WWI flu pandemic when I was at school in the 60's and 70's. There was no politics, no technological development, no heroes and nothing learnt to teach about. We did learn about the Black Death and being quite local how isolation had spared many Derbyshire villages. But a lot of it was "we have modern medicine, lets laugh at the questionable middle age medical practices".

In the late 40's my father's uncle died of TB in a sanatorium leaving a wife and teenage son. 23 years later in the early 70's the sanatorium had it's last patients as the inoculation program in schools had eradicated TB and it was being used as a post op convalescent clinic. Big 40/50 bed wooden shed with opening glazed sides, demolished in the late 70's. TB is coming back and many are untreatable.

Back in 1970's they used to teach in geography how "hick" farmers in Tennessee river valley had been ploughing up and down the hillside as they were too steep to plough any other way. Then one day it rained a lot and whole hillsides just slid off into the river leaving bare rock. I think the idea was that farmers kids would go home and while doing the homework project teach the dads that it wasn't good way to plough hillsides. Going on the amount of silt that comes down the brook outside my house every time it floods there is a "hick" farmer somewhere upstream. Clearly they never took geography or the schools have forgot why they were teaching it and stopped teaching it.

Rides
    I did learn about the Spanish Flu at school and the Black Death, probably where I got my fascination about viruses from. Some scientists don’t believe the Black Death was caused by Bubonic Plague (a bacteria) reason BP was transmitted by fleas that lived on dock rats, so how did people hundreds of miles inland where dock rats didn’t venture get it. Witness reports written down suggest it was a haemorrhagic fever that caused it and suggest it was a virus that caused it

Now Spanish flu was really nasty, because you haemorrhaged too, called cytokine storms (you’d bleed out)

Nothing like Ebola and you know how the yanks like to name things. With Ebola Zaire you die by what they call “throwing a tubular cask” you shit your intestines out

Maybe it is closer to my heart. Michelle used to run Broomfield A&E (with an iron rod I may add) Broomfield used to be the TB hospital

It really saddens me that people who I respected are whining about what the government are doing about it. We are all in this together

Btw it’s all Meghan Markle’s fault

Rides
    https://youtu.be/jGTcw-b1crc

Just to reiterate it’s the Chinese fault

Rides
    ...Some scientists don’t believe the Black Death was caused by Bubonic Plague (a bacteria) reason BP was transmitted by fleas that lived on dock rats, so how did people hundreds of miles inland where dock rats didn’t venture get it.
    Yes, interesting that. Most recent studies seem to point to it being person to person transfer, as the plague front moved at more than 300 miles a week (or month ?) and no rat ever created ever moved that quickly, plus fleas are very much more species specific than is generally realised, so that probably isn't the vector either.

It really saddens me that people who I respected are whining about what the government are doing about it. We are all in this together
    Quoted for absolute truth.

Sick to death of all the appalling behaviour of "gotcha" questions by Journalists who are more interested in the sound of their own voices trying to chuck blame around or set the scene for a witch hunt, and politicians trying to weaponise this that and the other when you'd hope and expect some show of unity and support for the Doctors and researchers desperately working to try and get us all through.

Loaded "Minister, can you guarantee that..." questions etc., no doubt intended to provoke an answer that can be attacked days later "Minister, you promised us back on X date that..." and bogus comparisons with other countries hugely unreliable claims and statistics *cough* China *cough*.

Banging on about the "need" for testing when, in the absence of any test for antibodies (which can show that you've had it and recovered) the present tests do nothing at all but show whether you presently have it or not. A positive does nothing to help cure it in the absence of any antiviral yet to hand and a negative simply means you haven't got it now but can still catch it the next day.

I believe that Italy is at the forefront of testing and numbers tested and it has had naff all effect on reducing their awful death rate.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochester View Post
    Yes, interesting that. Most recent studies seem to point to it being person to person transfer, as the plague front moved at more than 300 miles a week (or month ?) and no rat ever created ever moved that quickly, plus fleas are very much more species specific than is generally realised, so that probably isn't the vector either.

Quoted for absolute truth.

Sick to death of all the appalling behaviour of "gotcha" questions by Journalists who are more interested in the sound of their own voices trying to chuck blame around or set the scene for a witch hunt, and politicians trying to weaponise this that and the other when you'd hope and expect some show of unity and support for the Doctors and researchers desperately working to try and get us all through.

Loaded "Minister, can you guarantee that..." questions etc., no doubt intended to provoke an answer that can be attacked days later "Minister, you promised us back on X date that..." and bogus comparisons with other countries hugely unreliable claims and statistics *cough* China *cough*.

Banging on about the "need" for testing when, in the absence of any test for antibodies (which can show that you've had it and recovered) the present tests do nothing at all but show whether you presently have it or not. A positive does nothing to help cure it in the absence of any antiviral yet to hand and a negative simply means you haven't got it now but can still catch it the next day.

I believe that Italy is at the forefront of testing and numbers tested and it has had naff all effect on reducing their awful death rate.
    There is an antibody test and it doesn’t just mean you have had it. You can be in the gestation period and your body is still producing antibodies.

South Korea I believe have done the most testing and have been pretty lucky so far

It’s totally circumstantial at the moment, but the evidence is pointing that China once again lied about the true impact to them

Rides
    They've just said the antibody test is useless because it's showing that you've had the common cold instead of covud 19 and vice versa.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    They've just said the antibody test is useless because it's showing that you've had the common cold instead of covud 19 and vice versa.
    They didn’t say it was useless they said it can produce false positives and false negatives but apparently so can the nasal swab method.

But it is worrying, because I got a positive result but am worried now that perhaps I haven’t had it and just had a bad case of man flu

What’s even more disconcerting is that testing in this country was limited to patients and they didn’t bother starting to test health workers

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Asht_200 View Post
    ...What’s even more disconcerting is that testing in this country was limited to patients and they didn’t bother starting to test health workers
    I really don't follow why. As I pointed out above a positive does nothing to help cure the virus in the absence of any antiviral yet to hand. A negative simply means you haven't got it now but can still catch it the next day.

The only benefit I can see to testing a health worker is when they are showing early symptoms so that if they get a positive and then recover they can return to work in the happier state of knowing that they are likely, false positives aside, no longer a carrier and no longer at the same risk of catching it again.

Mass testing of health workers when they aren't showing any signs of the illness does nothing at all, except perhaps in the few cases that are completely asymptomatic - when they can be sent home as a precaution and source of infection. Or maybe not if a false positive, unnecessarily removing a much needed health worker from where he or she is most needed.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochester View Post
    I really don't follow why. As I pointed out above a positive does nothing to help cure the virus in the absence of any antiviral yet to hand. A negative simply means you haven't got it now but can still catch it the next day.

The only benefit I can see to testing a health worker is when they are showing early symptoms so that if they get a positive and then recover they can return to work in the happier state of knowing that they are likely, false positives aside, no longer a carrier and no longer at the same risk of catching it again.

Mass testing of health workers when they aren't showing any signs of the illness does nothing at all, except perhaps in the few cases that are completely asymptomatic - when they can be sent home as a precaution and source of infection. Or maybe not if a false positive, unnecessarily removing a much needed health worker from where he or she is most needed.
    I understand, but a false negative will tell someone they don’t have it when they actually do and potentially infect others along the way

We’ve not had to deal with anything like this in our lifetime. Yes people can plan but sometimes the plans are just well wrong

In the meantime, everyone stay safe even Leon

Rides
    Threatening now to make outdoor exercise illegal because the lower ends of the intelligence spectrum think sunbathing is essential. But no doubt you’ve heard.

That will REALLY suck.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by piman2k View Post
    Threatening now to make outdoor exercise illegal because the lower ends of the intelligence spectrum think sunbathing is essential. But no doubt you’ve heard.

That will REALLY suck.
    It’s not really surprising. I did an essential shop today at Morrison’s, it is great to see all the staff being diligent, disinfecting trolleys and baskets and also the shelves....

Then you get the complete mongs in there, not keeping distance. Made me wish I’d been able to keep the hazmat suit I used during my HPA training. Could have walked in there carry a briefcase marked biohazard and watched the store empty.

Rides
    Now for some humour

Are my testicles black?

A suspected Covid-19 male patient is lying in bed in the hospital, wearing an oxygen mask over his mouth and nose. A young student female nurse appears and gives him a partial sponge bath.
    "Nurse,"' he mumbles from behind the mask, "are my testicles black?"
    Embarrassed, the young nurse replies, "I don't know, Sir. I'm only here to wash your upper body and feet."
    He struggles to ask again, "Nurse, please check for me. Are my testicles black?"
    Concerned that he might elevate his blood pressure and heart rate from worrying about his testicles, she overcomes her embarrassment and
    pulls back the covers.
    She raises his gown, holds his manhood in one hand and his testicles gently in the other.
    She looks very closely and says, "There's nothing wrong with them, Sir. They look fine."
    The man slowly pulls off his oxygen mask, smiles at her, and says very slowly,
    "Thank you very much. That was wonderful. Now listen very,
    very, closely:
    "Are - my - test - results - back?"

Rides
    Edit - double post

Rides
    Queenie is on.

Rides
    I shall just leave this here as I find it amusing

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_pea View Post
    I shall just leave this here as I find it amusing

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    The unofficial figure is around 10 million. Because they have eaten all the animals

Rides
    Some my staff think that they are on holiday instead of working...

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sideways14a View Post
    Some my staff think that they are on holiday instead of working...
    Aren’t you on holiday?

Rides
    Nope, just working from home. had a meeting with the other campus managers earlier.
    It work all the time, cos we are... the best - never let anyone tell you otherwise*

*Or if they do - install some pron on there home computer remotely and then drop a mail to there wives ect...

Rides