Page 14 of 37 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: We seem to be missing a COVID-19 thread

Rides
    No the typical common cold is rhinovirus.

This new strain is more related to SARS

We don’t have a full lock down and are not doing as much as China did. Our public transport hasn’t been shutdown. China did from any city that had confirmed cases.

This is why the numbers are exploding in the US because they reacted too late

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    This is a interesting qoute from november 18th 1783 in the house of commons by prime minister william pitt the younger :

" Necessity is the plea for the infringement of every human freedom.
    It is the argument of tyrants; It is the creed of slaves. "

Rides

We seem to be missing a COVID-19 thread

It is also interesting to note:

Influenza infection rate up to 1.3 persons per person

Covid-19 2.5 persons per person

Influenza mortality rate 0.2% globally
    Covid-19 mortality rate 4.5% globally

So anyone saying it isn’t serious should think again

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Asht_200 View Post
    It is also interesting to note:

Influenza infection rate up to 1.3 persons per person

Covid-19 2.5 persons per person

Influenza mortality rate 0.2% globally
    Covid-19 mortality rate 4.5% globally

So anyone saying it isn’t serious should think again

That table is nonsense, how can they calculate infection rates and mortality rates when they have hardly tested any one?

They don't even test NHS staff.

The population of the UK is around sixty seven million, they have tested one hundred and thirteen thousand that means they have tested less than 0.2% of the population, the majority of people who get corona virus are asymptomatic.

Between ten and twenty thousand people die from flu each year in the UK some sources claim as many as fifty thousand people die from flu each year in the UK.

https://www.greenwichccg.nhs.uk/News...and-Wales.aspx

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-02-06/...-seasonal-flu/

One of the best universities in the world have done a study which claims 50% of people have already been infected with the corona virus in the UK.

https://reaction.life/oxford-study-5...ected-already/

So far 759 people have died from the corona virus in the UK................
    Last edited by LeonatLarge; 28-03-2020 at 08:20.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by LeonatLarge View Post
    Humans have never been known as plankton, although if you told me your ancestors were monkeys I would believe you

The corona virus has been around for years, corona virus is a common cold, it is the apparently only the covid 19 strain that is new.
    Dear lord

One of the best universities in the world have done a study which claims 50% of people have already been infected with the corona virus in the UK.

Critical reading....

potential conclusion
    but if
    it could – could – suggest
    The study assumed that
    Sunetra Gupta, professor of theoretical epidemiology, who led the study, sounded a note of caution, however. The findings can only be corroborated through “large-scale serological surveys — antibody testing.”
    And the kicker: But she supports the government’s strict measures to prevent the number of cases expanding over the next month beyond the capacity of the NHS.

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/coro...study-immunity

he Oxford study – which has not been published in a scientific journal or scrutinised by other scientists yet – offers a set of hypothetical situations about the possible extent of coronavirus transmission in the UK. The headline statistic, that more than half of the UK population has already been infected with coronavirus, is not supported by real-world data, epidemiologists argue.

“It’s a little concerning that they’ve taken it straight to the media,” says Tim Colbourn, an epidemiologist at University College London’s Institute for Global Health. “It has not been properly sense-checked against any data.”

But this modelling rests on an improbable assumption: that just one in every 1,000 people infected with coronavirus will need to be hospitalised. This assumption just doesn’t match real-world data, says Colbourn. “We can already see just by looking at Italy [...] that that figure has already been exceeded,”

Rides

That table is nonsense, how can they calculate infection rates and mortality rates when they have hardly tested any one?

They don't even test NHS staff.

The population of the UK is around sixty seven million, they have tested one hundred and thirteen thousand that means they have tested less than 0.2% of the population, the majority of people who get corona virus are asymptomatic.

Between ten and twenty thousand people die from flu each year in the UK some sources claim as many as fifty thousand people die from flu each year in the UK.

https://www.greenwichccg.nhs.uk/News...and-Wales.aspx

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-02-06/...-seasonal-flu/

So far 759 people have died from the corona virus in the UK................
    So what you are saying is... you know more than the WHO and CDC?

Rhinovirus makes up the majority of common colds

A close relative of Covid-19 is SARS

Last edited by Asht_200; 28-03-2020 at 11:15.

Rides
    It is obviously impossible to be definitive until a) tests are available to show that people have been infected in the past and recovered (without which everything is simply speculation) and b) long after the event, by then of historic interest only. What we need to do is decide what our response should be in the here and now.

FWIW I am pretty sure that the number of infected / recovered is high, much much higher than most assumptions made. I say this because I believe that the virus first landed here unknown at the end of December / beginning of January, and that both my partner and I have had it and survived. However until a test kit is to hand we are stuck here in our micro flat twiddling thumbs...

The reason I say this is that back at the end of January we had a week off work on holiday when we both came down with a very bad cough and fever, exactly fitting the profile of the virus. She was coughing so badly it was touch and go whether or not she headed to Hospital - she has COPD and asthma - but of course back then we had no idea Covid-19 existed, let alone the fact that we might have been infected by it. Thankfully we both recovered and thought no more about it at the time. Now looking back....

How could we have caught it so early and at that time ?

Background: my other half was working in the NISA supermarket attached to a BP garage just across the road from the local University. It has a very very high number of Chinese and Asian foreign students on campus, 4,000 odd +. They make a very strong point about it and even have an office in China with five permanent staff coordinating Student applications and visas.

After the Christmas vac all of these students came back here in the last week of December / first week of January. Guess where a great many students do their emergency late night shopping for pot noodles, fags etc.

She was therefore in just the right place to meet and serve a great many and varied body of Chinese students returned from their vacation trip home to China, just at the right time to allow for infection and bingo, four / five weeks later after the incubation period we were, we believe, hit with it.

In the absence so far of a test to prove it we can't obviously be sure, but it seems very likely in context. In which case you may well be stuck with me for a wee bit longer. Fingers crossed and good luck to anyone else affected.
    Last edited by Rochester; 28-03-2020 at 12:34.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochester View Post
    It is obviously impossible to be definitive until a) tests are available to show that people have been infected in the past and recovered (without which everything is simply speculation) and b) long after the event, by then of historic interest only. What we need to do is decide what our response should be in the here and now.

FWIW I am pretty sure that the number of infected / recovered is high, much much higher than most assumptions made. I say this because I believe that the virus first landed here unknown at the end of December / beginning of January, and that both my partner and I have had it and survived. However until a test kit is to hand we are stuck here in our micro flat twiddling thumbs...

The reason I say this is that back at the end of January we had a week off work on holiday when we both came down with a very bad cough and fever, exactly fitting the profile of the virus. She was coughing so badly it was touch and go whether or not she headed to Hospital - she has COPD and asthma - but of course back then we had no idea Covid-19 existed, let alone the fact that we might have been infected by it. Thankfully we both recovered and thought no more about it at the time. Now looking back....

How could we have caught it so early and at that time ?

Background: my other half was working in the NISA supermarket attached to a BP garage just across the road from the local University. It has a very very high number of Chinese and Asian foreign students on campus, 4,000 odd +. They make a very strong point about it and even have an office in China with five permanent staff coordinating Student applications and visas.

After the Christmas vac all of these students came back here in the last week of December / first week of January. Guess where a great many students do their emergency late night shopping for pot noodles, fags etc.

She was therefore in just the right place to meet and serve a great many and varied body of Chinese students returned from their vacation trip home to China, just at the right time to allow for infection and bingo, four / five weeks later after the incubation period we were, we believe, hit with it.

In the absence so far of a test to prove it we can't obviously be sure, but it seems very likely in context. In which case you may well be stuck with me for a wee bit longer. Fingers crossed and good luck to anyone else affected.
    Because patient zero may have already travelled before it became a Chinese outbreak?

Rides
    Because patient zero may have already travelled before it became a Chinese outbreak?
    We can obviously never know for absolutely sure who patient zero was.

Not quite sure what you mean. Are you seriously buying into the Chinese government's patently bogus attempts to suggest that the virus was artificially created in America and spread by a patient zero who went to China deliberately to start a pandemic ?. I certainly hope not.

Rides
    We can obviously never know for absolutely sure who patient zero was.

Not quite sure what you mean. Are you seriously buying into the Chinese government's patently bogus attempts to suggest that the virus was artificially created in America and spread by a patient zero who went to China deliberately to start a pandemic ?. I certainly hope not.
    No not at all.

It’s a zoonotic virus like SARS, came from an animal probably from the Chinese live animal markets and they have traced the source to some rare ant-eater. But people probably travelled before they knew what was happening if the gestation period is up to 14 days.

What isn’t clear is whether you are contagious during the gestation period or only if you are symptomatic.

Anyhow time from light heartedness

It’s very rare to be able to step into the middle of the busiest road into Maldon in the middle of the day and take a photo

Rides
    And people were saying...

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...cases-n1171011

Rides
    Yep. The Pangolin. An endangered species too. The theory is that one was either bitten by or kept caged in immediate proximity to an infected bat.

Who knows. If the Chinese finally get serious about wild animal wet markets and disease control and stop people eating them then it may end up no longer endangered, which would be ironic.

And in passing that is exactly our surmise, There were some huge parties and communal events in China generally over the vac, including one of some 8,000 people in Wuhan itself just before the year turned apparently. Then all on the plane, incubating but symptomless and no-one knowing about the virus because of the Chinese government suppressing the news, threatening heroic Doctors and being complete arses.

Land at Heathrow and head back to Uni digs. Finish incubating, give to other half in petrol station. Another 14 days for our own incubation period and bingo, bang on schedule to ruin our week's holiday, as it did.
    Last edited by Rochester; 28-03-2020 at 16:29.

Rides

Yep. The Pangolin. An endangered species too.

Who knows. If the Chinese finally get serious about wild animal wet markets and disease control and stop people eating them then it may end up no longer endangered, which would be ironic.

And in passing that is exactly our surmise, There were some huge parties and communal events in China generally over the vac, including one of some 8,000 people in Wuhan itself just before the year turned apparently. Then all on the plane, incubating but symptomless and no-one knowing about the virus because of the Chinese government suppressing the news, threatening heroic Doctors and being complete arses.

Off plane on landing at Heathrow and head back to Uni digs. Finish incubating, give to other half in petrol station. Another 14 days for our own incubation period and bingo, bang on schedule to ruin our week's holiday, as it did.
    Problem is they would have to stop something that is engrained into Chinese culture. They believed that eating them is good for health.... oh the irony

I think the Chinese have been more open about it this time, more so than they were with SARS.

We don’t the full figures because next door to China is North Korea and you won’t get any figures from there... The NKs have probably been told America is doing biological warfare...

Last edited by Asht_200; 28-03-2020 at 16:29.

Rides
    Criticising the fact that Boris Johnson and Prince Charles have been tested when many health workers haven't been ?.

For crying out loud, what part of the importance of the Head of our Government and possible future Monarch do they not understand ? Though sure as eggs is eggs if Bojo and jug ears had declined to be tested they would be criticising them for wilful ignorance / putting others at risk just as much.

Also, the only test we have at the moment is one to be taken when you have it to confirm that you have it. There isn't as yet a test for those who have had it and recovered. There is no cure and no point at all in wasting all of the limited number of testing kits we have to hand in testing all possible health workers. To what end ?

Rides
    Criticising the fact that Boris Johnson and Prince Charles have been tested when many health workers haven't been ?.

For crying out loud, what part of the importance of the Head of our Government and possible future Monarch do they not understand ? Though sure as eggs is eggs if Bojo and jug ears had declined to be tested they would be criticising them for wilful ignorance / putting others at risk just as much.

Also, the only test we have at the moment is one to be taken when you have it to confirm that you have it. There isn't as yet a test for those who have had it and recovered. There is no cure and no point at all in wasting all of the limited number of testing kits we have to hand in testing all possible health workers. To what end ?
    Many health workers have been, including the Chief Medical Officer and the Health Secretary.

A Dr I used to know in Miami has died from it. My Lady love has it

Latest figures from the US indicate their mortality rate may be on the increase

Rides
    Anyway it is good to see companies step up to help.

Dyson are the latest to build ventilators..

Likely to be dual cyclonic based on their fanless fans and airblade technology

Rides

Dyson are the latest to build ventilators..
    The patients that have used them seem to be picking up nicely.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by arry View Post
    The patients that have used them seem to be picking up nicely.
    Was there a pun intended there?

Rides
    Very droll 'arry, very droll.

Rides
    I watched a program about pangolins last year. I hadn't heard of them as they are so rare. They look cool. Iirc it said that they just descale them, sometimes while they are still alive, and then make a soup. Idiots think it has healing power. Their scales are like our fingernails. Can't possibly heal anything.