Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: We seem to be missing a COVID-19 thread

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sx rider View Post
    My question about this virus is why do we care? The flu is a bigger killer of the frail - 60,000 a year worldwide according to what I’ve read. Why don’t people have to self isolate when they have the flu? I actually think it’s f*****g rude to sit on a train or in an office sneezing and coughing all over the place.

The media once again have whipped sheople into a frenzy and now they are fighting over toilet roll
    Ahhh, the old flu argument eh? Corona cant be that bad as flu kills 60K a year or whatever.

There a few minor differences though:

80% of the population dont contract flu every year
    20% are not off work at any given time
    14% dont end up in hospital
    It doesnt infect 3400 healthcare workers like it has in China

The issue with Corona is not how many people it will kill, its how it will affect our infrastructure. If 20% of the population have it at any one time as predicted by the Government and 15% of them need hospital treatment thats over 2m extra people in hospital care.
    If schools are closed then parents will have to take time off to look after them. Public transport could be halted which would have a massive impact on day to day life, its possible that imports and exports will be frozen too.

If that all happens at once we are ****ed. The best bet is stry and spread out the contraction rate as much as possible so the impact on society is limited - thats what all of this "scaremongering" is all about. Except its not scaremongering.
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    Fking kids fault again, its always the bloody kids...
    Everytime i use the self service tills at tescos i have to have someone come and "allow" me to buy some items because of kids

Grrr...

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by docwra View Post
    Ahhh, the old flu argument eh? Corona cant be that bad as flu kills 60K a year or whatever.

There a few minor differences though:

80% of the population dont contract flu every year
    20% are not off work at any given time
    14% dont end up in hospital
    It doesnt infect 3400 healthcare workers like it has in China

The issue with Corona is not how many people it will kill, its how it will affect our infrastructure. If 20% of the population have it at any one time as predicted by the Government and 15% of them need hospital treatment thats over 2m extra people in hospital care.
    If schools are closed then parents will have to take time off to look after them. Public transport could be halted which would have a massive impact on day to day life, its possible that imports and exports will be frozen too.

If that all happens at once we are ****ed. The best bet is stry and spread out the contraction rate as much as possible so the impact on society is limited - thats what all of this "scaremongering" is all about. Except its not scaremongering.
    Imports and exports may be halted due to Brexit.

I get what you are saying. Corona Virus is the most transmitted virus along with the common cold, but everyone whining is not doing the world good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sideways14a View Post
    Fking kids fault again, its always the bloody kids...
    Everytime i use the self service tills at tescos i have to have someone come and "allow" me to buy some items because of kids

Grrr...
    They broke because of bog rolls at Morrison’s

Rides
    Well if the flu is deadly why not self isolate to reduce that 60k a year, I’m just pointing out the hypocrisy

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Asht_200 View Post
    Imports and exports may be halted due to Brexit.

I get what you are saying. Corona Virus is the most transmitted virus along with the common cold, but everyone whining is not doing the world good

The common cold is a Corona virus

Self isolate for 2 weeks if you have the sniffles. Seriously may have been better if we had voted in Corbyn

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sx rider View Post
    Well if the flu is deadly why not self isolate to reduce that 60k a year, I’m just pointing out the hypocrisy
    Because its nowhere near as infectious and wont put anywhere near the same number of people into hospital. Ive also read that there are only 600 deaths from flu in the UK each year, dont know accurate that is mind.

Th other big difference is that flu was here last year, last decade, last century. Covid 19 has been around for what, 3 months and is already crippling the world.
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    Are you seriously saying it isn’t as infectious?

I thought you were intelligent.

Covid-19 is just another strain of Corona virus! The last bad strain was SARS and killed a lot more people. The common cold is a Corona virus.

I had to do H&S training to go into a microbiology lab. Corona has a lower rating than influenza

Rides
    Corona has been here for centuries

Rides
    The problem is we now have 1.8 billion people on social media and a PM who has thrived on it.

We didn’t have that 10 years ago

Rides
    I have never been a fan of Corona, its always been one of these... modern... overseas beers.

Nowt like Guiness...

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sideways14a View Post
    I have never been a fan of Corona, its always been one of these... modern... overseas beers.

Nowt like Guiness...
    Kerona you arse lol

Rides
    Are you seriously saying it isn’t as infectious?

I thought you were intelligent.

Covid-19 is just another strain of Corona virus! The last bad strain was SARS and killed a lot more people. The common cold is a Corona virus.

I had to do H&S training to go into a microbiology lab. Corona has a lower rating than influenza
    Covid 19 (you know, like what I actually said) has not been around for years and not only is it more contagious than the flu, its incubation period is considerably longer and its possible that symptoms dont manifest themselves for 14 days compared to 4 days for flu so carriers are a lot more likely to infect others without even knowing. Oh, and theres no vaccine for Covid 19.

Your H+S training doesnt really stand up to the guys working for WHO, the CMO etc. (or even the GCSE I have in Biology ) in the same way that your limited exposure to markets doesnt mean you can tell Johnny Wilkinson he "doesnt know what hes talking about". Trust me, he does.
    Why not try using your keyboard for actual facts rather than incorrect opinions? While we are here the EHCI doesnt rate the UK Health system as even in the top 10 in Europe, the life expectancy in the Med is only slightly higher than it is in France of Belgium, the death rate is much higher than any comparable pandemic and I personally know UK scientists working on a vaccine.

It amazes me that when countries are closing entire borders people are still trying to claim its nothing to worry about and this is "scaremongering", this is ****ing big.

Rides
    Its big but not... ohh my god the pubs are shutting big.

If we reach that we are past the point of no return - Billions will die without pubs.

Rides
    It doesn’t stand up because we aren’t allowed ...

Rides
    I really thought Doc had more sense

Rides
    I really thought Doc had more sense
    What doc has is informed opinions he can support with actual sources. Its called making a valid argument.

You can believe what you want but if you cant prove it then its not correct.

Rides
    It's a good way to get the crowds under control in Hong Kong and Paris etc....

Start a media panic about a sniffle and tell all the rioters stay at home and self isolate or they might die...

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    My drive home from work tonight was exceptionally easy, I’m guessing people are already beginning to go in to hiding and we only have 1 confirmed case in Somerset last I heard.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    What doc has is informed opinions he can support with actual sources. Its called making a valid argument.

You can believe what you want but if you cant prove it then its not correct.
    Opinions, not facts