Thread: Any Electronics Engineers on here

Rides

Any Electronics Engineers on here

If my Dad was still around I would have asked him... but;

I need to build a circuit where a push button switch is in the "On position" but cuts power to an output feed.....

A switchable input on the EDFC Active Pro, when Off puts the unit into G Activated mode, when On switches to your preset setting. What I want is a button when On, turns the input to the EDFC controller "Off"

I'm sure it would be simple with a relay or a simple MOSFET driven circuit, but I'm not sure how.

Rides
    Can't you just use a normal on/off switch and swap the labels to "on" is the open position?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by DLowe View Post
    Can't you just use a normal on/off switch and swap the labels to "on" is the open position?

You need a relay that has a normally closed (NC) connection (leg). Not all of them have one. All 5 have Normall Closed and Normally Open pins, and 4 pins will have a NC or NO leg, but not both.

On a relay diagram, the pins with a "curly bit" in the middle (representing the electromagnet in a mechanical relay) would go on the control circuit (so, in-line with your switch). The pins for the line ending in an arrow, and the line at an angle that rests on the arrow, represents the Normally Closed pins to use in the EDFC circuit.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by DLowe View Post

No, because Stoofer : is 3D printing me a switch that has an illuminated Z logo. I want the Z light to light up when it is G mode (when the input is off)

The idea is to leave the interior looking stock (there is a blanking plate next to the gear shift where the Syncro up rev button would go in a manual, mines a 7 speed Auto)

Yes I know this is an SX forum and not a 370z forum, but you generally get decent answers here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Asht_200 View Post
    No, because Stoofer : is 3D printing me a switch that has an illuminated Z logo. I want the Z light to light up when it is G mode (when the input is off)

The idea is to leave the interior looking stock (there is a blanking plate next to the gear shift where the Syncro up rev button would go in a manual, mines a 7 speed Auto)

Yes I know this is an SX forum and not a 370z forum, but you generally get decent answers here.

Just so you know, the illumination for that button is currently on with the rest of the illumination for the rest of the dash/surround and not with the button state (it doesn't flash if you stick hazards on). if you want that to light up with EDFC, you'll need to pick the relay control or the EDFC circuit as above, and run that into the button illumination, too.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by stoofer View Post
    Just so you know, the illumination for that button is currently on with the rest of the illumination for the rest of the dash/surround and not with the button state (it doesn't flash if you stick hazards on). if you want that to light up with EDFC, you'll need to pick the relay control or the EDFC circuit as above, and run that into the button illumination, too.
    Thanks Stu. I think my basic electronics / electrical skills can do that bit.... lol.

On a side note, if anyone wants them, I have my Dad’s power mosfet manuals, useful for Audio amplifier design and he did design a twin sequential sparking system for Ferrari Formula 1 ( back in the 90s) they would be more use to an electronics engineer

Rides
    So a 5 pin relay like:

Ehdis 5 Pin 12VDC 30A SPDT Multi-Purpose Relay Heavy Duty Standard Relay Kit, Pack of 2 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01JBRIE..._KrXtEb4PEKCSP

Wire upto to the normal closed contacts and when push button is on,the output is cut...

And if you want it to illuminate in different colours, wire one to the normally closed output terminals, and the other to the input terminals

Or do you mean it needs to be a latching relay so it changes state when the push button is pressed?

Rides
    whats a latching relay?

When I press the button, the Z lights up and it kills power to the EDFC Input. When I press it again, the light goes off and it provides power to the EDFC input....

Does that make sense?

If you can draw an electronics diagram I can build it (built an "Atmosphere Ioniser" where if you stuck the electrodes into a plant pot. the leaves would grab hold of you

Rides
    https://www.swe-check.com.au/images/..._schematic.gif

On this, pins 85 & 86 go in-line with the switch.

Pins 87A and 30 go in-line with the EDFC circuit.

87 and 30 would be the "other colour" if you used one, but you'll be doing surgery on the button to achieve that.

If you use the Hazard switch, the switch latches and the relay doesnt need to.

If you used a momentary switch (like the S Mode one), you'd want the relay to latch.

Rides
    Can't draw on this phone....

But from the relay I linked...

12v from battery to on/Off button,

From the button to pin 86 on relay,

Pin 85 on relay to ground.

Edfc output to pin 30 on relay,

Pin 87a on relay to edfc input you want disconnecting when button is on.

Illumination: if the edfc uses 12v to trigger then use pin 30 and pin 87 to provide a +ve to light a led, if it has to be signal generated from the edfc, then you will have to use a second relay to control lights.

Feed a second set of wires to pins 86 and 85 so it operates the same way.

12v + to pin 30, 87a for normal running light and pin 87 to light when it's "on"

Rides
    I think I’m clued enough to follow.

Cheers guys