Thread: R8 coils removal

Rides

R8 coils removal

Hey all. I recently bought a zenki s14 with a s15 sr20det in it. The car has been mapped recently with its current set up. My question is if I remove the r8 coils and replace them with 1.8t will the car need mapped again? I have read the r8 and 1.8t coils are the same and the only difference is the r8 ones sit higher and this is the reason I want to change them so I can fit a cover. Not sure so thought i would ask. Thanks

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Can’t see why it would make any difference tbh.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    The car was mapped for the parts that were installed with so changing parts can effect the map

Sent from my GM1920 using Tapatalk

Rides
    I always thought the covers helped to cook the coilpacks. so leave them off.

Rides
    there are more than one version of the r8 tfsi coils one type is an upgrade (possibly stonger spark power? or better heat management?)
    for tfsi cars with failing oe coils,the 1.8t coils are not identical the r8 are more powerful from my research,hence why chosen over the 1.8t version

need run part numbers to check what you have, doubt the spark power difference would be so great it would need remap

and as above posted by Mr green the cover cooks them into to failing early and/or going weak etc
    so poss best leave it alone as plenty run the colis loose/no cover
    no cover

Rides
    http://www.maxxecu.com/webhelp/wirin...ion_coils.html

Depending on which shorter coils you'll get, it's possible that you have to repin the harness.
    As with the two comments above, the heat really kills them. They're exposed in the OEM application.

Rides
    Thanks for all the replies, I think from what iv read here I will just keep them as is with no cover. I seen a few posts on local pages saying the r8 coils are pointless as they are the same and that's what made me think. I will just have to get use to the no cover bit if it saves the coils in the long run.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

Rides
    You can get vented covers. If you want to use shorter coils get one of them.

Rides
    I have 1.8t coils and this cover:
    https://frsport.com/titek-cfp-030114...14-s15-sr20det

Rides
    Running R8 coils here ( well, when the car is actually back on the road I will! ). Have made a set of spacers from extra long stainless steel nuts, screwed these into engine with short studs, can then fit coil cover back on with screws similar to original. Gives the look ( mostly ) of having the cover but with advantage of a gap to let some hot air out and keep some dirt out. Also, just fits under strut brace.
    Last edited by GrahamL; 25-02-2020 at 13:01.

Rides
    Here's some terrible pictures!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Rides
    that's just a threaded bar connector nut.